Topic: Could admins add a 'First posted on __/__/__' bit for competitions

I'm sure I'm not the only one who quite often gets confused when looking on the competitions page, as to which are new ones, and which are old ones that have been bumped etc.
My solution, if it were possible to implement, was for a new section titled 'First posted on __/__/__' to be added.

Then we could see that even if for example the latest post was 25/02/12, the competition was actually posted on 19/04/11 and we could presume it was an old competition. I hope this makes sense.

What do you all think?

Re: Could admins add a 'First posted on __/__/__' bit for competitions

Just look at the titles, if it says "THAC 9" then it's newer than "THAC 8."
And most have dates in the titles "BiM 2011: TOY" "Ten lines contest 2011/2012" Ect...
I don't think it's really needed to add another section.

Just look at the title, and if nessecary, click it and check the dates on the first page. mini/wink
And more often than not, the active ones are the current, running contests. Old contest threads don't get bumped too often, and when they do, it's fairly easy too tell if it's old or not.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Just look at the titles, if it says "THAC 9" then it's newer than "THAC 8."
And most have dates in the titles "BiM 2011: TOY" "Ten lines contest 2011/2012" Ect...
I don't think it's really needed to add another section.

Just look at the title, and if nessecary, click it and check the dates on the first page. mini/wink
And more often than not, the active ones are the current, running contests. Old contest threads don't get bumped too often, and when they do, it's fairly easy too tell if it's old or not.

^this^

The problem is that almost none have dates on. Surely it should be compulsory? I keep getting my hopes up only to find it's some old competition that's been bumped.

SebJS74 wrote:

The problem is that almost none have dates on. Surely it should be compulsory? I keep getting my hopes up only to find it's some old competition that's been bumped.

Look at the timestamp in the grey bar on top of the first post.  That's when the contest was posted.

You can also look at the date when that contest ends in the first post.  That'll tell you for sure if it's over or not.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I don't think people are understanding my point. You shouldn't have to trawl though threads to find what is running, what isn't etc. With just 8 more characters in a title, it can be as easy as look at the list of threads. That is only one page.

Also, why are finished competitions no longer being 'closed' like in the past? I'm not having a go by the way, just curious.

There's no "trawling" involved, it's literally one click.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Am I really the only one bothered about the streamlining of the Forum? I look at the competitions page and just see a massive mess.
What harm is it, to close closed competitions? Or to simply say when the competition started in the title? There is after all a 'latest comment' feature which is seemingly pointless in comparison. After all, if it's at the top of the list, then it's the latest to have been commented on so what use is that feature?

Instead I have to open each thread, then go to the first page, then find the date in the description, then repeat that with every single thread as the majority, if not all, are closed...

...Or you could just include a date and say that it's closed.

I'm amazed I'm the only person who thinks this would be an improvement.

The problem I have is that adding an XX/XX/XXXX to the end of every topic would be the opposite of streamlining. It would make every topic title longer and the whole forum would become a mess of /s. Not only that, it's unclear if the date is the start or the end date so you still have to click into the topic to find the real date.

The closing thing I'm a little more in favour of, but the question is when do we close it? A month after is closes? A week after the last post? Just whenever we think it's dried up?

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

The problem I have is that adding an XX/XX/XXXX to the end of every topic would be the opposite of streamlining. It would make every topic title longer and the whole forum would become a mess of /s. Not only that, it's unclear if the date is the start or the end date so you still have to click into the topic to find the real date.

The closing thing I'm a little more in favour of, but the question is when do we close it? A month after is closes? A week after the last post? Just whenever we think it's dried up?

Having 01/23/45 is so much cleaner and quicker than having to search for a date. And who would put a closing date in a title (unless XX/XX/XX - XX/XX/XX)? Surely that problem should then apply to current ones that just say 2011 etc.

And close it the instant the competition ends. I'm not sure if you can, but I don't want people to no longer be able to post on it, but as long as it shows that the comp is closed.

Clicking on the topic and reading the first post doesn't seem like a lot of work.
You can get directly to the first page by clicking the topic name.

Also, a small number of the contests there are active.  All the contests on the second page and the pages after it are over.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

I'd rather see if the contest is closed or not than the date it was released

Which is all messy. It shouldn't be 'do this to find that' etc etc. It should be there. I don't see how dates or closures of threads aren't there, yet 'last post' is. It seems like a tangle, when it could all be layed out so nicely.

If you don't have the patience and time to just click on one link, and to read one post, I cannot understand how you possibly have the time and patience to animate.

Mason wrote:

If you don't have the patience and time to just click on one link, and to read one post, I cannot understand how you possibly have the time and patience to animate.

No, I have the mindset of doing things efficiently and of a high quality whilst keeping things free of mess and not making things harder than need be. All vital for Brickfilming.

It's not a case of having no patience.

If you don't like how the forum is set up, then leave. The mods think that the set up is fine. If you don't think so, no one is asking you to stay.

I'm just saying.

Formerly "brickflix"

I am a nonfilming user...for now.

Geez man, no need to get so defensive about our reasoning.

Seriously, it's two clicks of the mouse per thread: one to enter, and one to go back. We've been using this system since the forum opened in 2008, and probably since Brickfilms.com opened in 2001. You're asking the mods to patrol the Contest thread making sure that a contest is active, to add a date that is, in reality, unnecessary since it's already on the first post, and to mark each one as closed when it's done. This is far more effort on the part of a nine-man-one-woman crew of mods (some of whom aren't here as frequently) than it is for you to simply check a contest to see if it's active or not. Remember, they have other duties too.

TL;DR: If it ain't broke don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

EDIT: Retracted.

Last edited by mcoov (March 15, 2012 (11:29am))

phantom wrote:

If you don't like how the forum is set up, then leave. The mods think that the set up is fine. If you don't think so, no one is asking you to stay.

I'm just saying.

Congrats, you just made a great statement.

One convention that was discussed previously was adding either an [ACTIVE] or [CLOSED] tag, which would be a bit more informative than a start date, in my opinion. While it was left up to the original poster of the thread to do so, I honestly wouldn't mind adding closed tags retrospectively in the interest of clearing things up.

What some of you who have been here for a long time don't seem to be considering is that new members/infrequent visitors are not as familiar with the states of various contests as you are. I don't think it would be so appalling to make things a bit more organized at a glance.

Lastly, phantom, that was quite unnecessary. The Updates and Feedback forum is here for exactly this sort of thing. Next time you feel compelled to berate someone for offering a suggestion (in a coherent, even-keeled fashion, no less), don't.

Jargon wrote:

I don't think it would be so appalling to make things a bit more organized at a glance.

Do you mean in the future, or modifying every thread currently posted in that forum? Because I interpreted his posts as meaning going into every thread, and adding these tags. Yeah, it's fine to change the system a bit to be more clear, but changing the old stuff to conform to the new (when you consider what exactly we're talking about) I feel is a waste of time.