Re: Could admins add a 'First posted on __/__/__' bit for competitions

I agree with the essential idea behind this. We did toy with the idea like Jargon mentioned; I think the [ACTIVE] and [CLOSED] tags would be a more elegant solution than dates, perhaps. If Jargon's willing to go back and add the tags, I'd be fine with that.

Maybe try to be a little less automatic in shutting down peoples' ideas, guys? I'm mostly just disappointed by the community response to this thread. I apologize to Mr. SJ74 for the behavior here. We unfortunately have a loud minority of children here who can be quite rude and unhelpful at times. I'm looking at you, Phantom and Living LEGO.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

One of the things I have noticed from frequenting this forum is that dates are different to many people around the globe. To some the month comes first followed by the day. To others the day comes first. So, 06/01/2011 could be read as June 1st, 2011 OR January 6th, 2011. To make sure you are reading the date correctly, a click into the first post is mandatory.

I like the idea of an ACTIVE / CLOSED disclaimer but dislike the idea of closing the thread entirely. Sometimes there are things to say after the contest has ended that still have to do with said contest.

Good idea "SebJS74."

Jared

Sure. I don't mean that a [CLOSED] would actually indicate locking the thread. The threads that are locked are usually official contests that had multiple stages, in which case we only left the "results" thread open at the end.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Well, after about twenty minutes of work, I believe I've tagged them all. Feel free to let me know if I've missed anything or mistagged a particular thread.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep an eye on things. If contest runners want to let me know once their respective contest is over, that'd be nice. If this is you, please also feel free to tag your thread yourself.

I'm just going to try address a few things here, though I'm on my phone so it's not easy to quote etc.
Firstly, I'd have to agree that the active/closed status would be more effective than a date as it removes the problem of different formats (I'm uk after all).
Secondly, I'd just like to clarify that I only meant to apply it for future threads, but I'd like to thank the person who actually just went through them all and put their time into changing them. I can honestly say that it looks, at least to me, a lot better.
Thirdly to the person who suggested I leave the forum - I was only suggesting an improvement, hence why I put it in the feedback section.
Fourthly (is that correct) I wasn't trying to be defensive, I was just disappointed that my ability as an animator was questioned in a thread about the forum layout.
Fifthly (this is surely grammatically wrong) There's no need to apologise on the behalf of others smeagol, I'm sure it's just a case of misunderstanding between us. I wasn't wanting to demand anything, but only to put my ideas forward and see what people think.
Thanks for the quick feedback anyway everyone. mini/smile

Jargon wrote:

...after about twenty minutes...

I guess I severely overestimated the effort required, and I must concur that it looks better.

SebJS74 wrote:

Thirdly to the person who suggested I leave the forum - I was only suggesting an improvement, hence why I put it in the feedback section.
Fourthly (is that correct) I wasn't trying to be defensive, I was just disappointed that my ability as an animator was questioned in a thread about the forum layout.

Yea I don't get why people would attack your ability as an animator or tell you to leave when you were just trying to make it more efficient. mini/confused not cool guys, actually very distasteful

Chirochibechirt wrote:
SebJS74 wrote:

Yea I don't get why people would attack your ability as an animator or tell you to leave when you were just trying to make it more efficient. mini/confused not cool guys, actually very distasteful

Ah well, at least the majority seem to have understood the thread and in the end something has actually been done, so it's been worthwhile as far as I can see mini/smile