Topic: Changes

Well, I don't mean to sound noob-ish, but I've decided to voice my opinions about a few matters on Bricksinmotion that I think are driving this site to becoming a ghost town. I myself are on the verge of leaving, and thought that maybe putting a few ideas might help the site.

1. Reviews
The review panel is clearing falling. I've been asking Smeagol for a year now what's happening and by the looks of things no improvements have been made and no solution is close to being made. I'm just interested to see if there have been anything done, or in the process of doing so, and what's the story about hiring new members, because I'd be very happy to start doing that.

2. Moderators
I know this is likely to get a lot of hatred but I think that the moderators either need disciplining or changing, because at the moment both their job and their maturity are slacking. Jargon, Hazzat and Squash, seem to be the only three who are actually active regularly and interact well with members. I'm not saying that the others are immature, but they seem tired of their job - my reckoning is that you need some added.

3. Sacrifice
I know that the intent is to keep the site looking good at all times, but now that the structure is crumbling I think that maybe hiring members as both review panelists and moderators - my examples would be RealBrick, LGFB and Just Kidden to name but a few. Sure they mightn't be the perfect candidates, but in order to get the site back on its feet such things may be necessary.

I think that's all I have to say, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Re: Changes

You have a point. There haven't been many new film reviews lately and a revised panel wouldn't do any harm. For all the decent members who say they're bored or lurk chat constantly, there is an outlet.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Point well taken, Onion. Not very much films have been reviewed lately. Actually, none at all. I would agree to have maybe somebody like RealBrick or LGFB on the review panel and/or a moderator.

-LASF

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

Regarding the review panel: it has been essentially disbanded pending new changes that will make the review panel portion of the directory obsolete.

I think this site needs a few changes.
But hey,at least we're not BFG,which has been driven to a ghost town-no one comes there,except to their chatroom,but only to play their "tag" game,which they have been playing for the past 2 months.
The BFG was more active during it's first month of existence.

-CDP

Last edited by Troodon (October 23, 2011 (11:22am))

Thank you! Finally someone understands me!

Please be so kind to tell me which moderators are causing this community hassle?

Edit: Also what does one do to become a moderator?

Last edited by Larmz (October 23, 2011 (12:12pm))

Moyrust wrote:

This basically lists everything you need to know.

mcoov wrote:
Moyrust wrote:

This basically lists everything you need to know.

So i have to fight off a half-starved bear for 1 crumb of bread,run 300 miles in the snow,and fight the trolls who live on the undiscovered part of the internet?That sounds fun.

-CDP

1. Reviewers
I thought it was made pretty clear that the review panel is done with. I don't know why members keep asking for new guys to be added to it, as it's being removed soon.
2. Moderators
I took a look at the moderators list and it looks like the moderators that you didn't mention simply don't visit the site as often. The mods are doing fine, in my opinion.
3. Sacrifice
mayans sacrifice. bims don't.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Onion wrote:

my examples would be RealBrick, LGFB and Just Kidden to name but a few.

mini/lol
You can't be serious.

Everything else you said is spot on, though. My feelings exactly.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I think that the review panel is being removed because nothing is getting reviewed
I totally agree with you about the Moderators though
when I wen to this paged I didn't recognize most of the names because they hardly ever go on anymore.

Onion wrote:

2. Moderators
Jargon, Hazzat and Squash, seem to be the only three who are actually active regularly.

A good moderator is like a ninja. They're there you just don't know it.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

I haven't personally noticed a great need for more moderators. I feel like most of the major problems get taken care of fairly promptly. There are definitely some inactive moderators, I haven't really gone through and removed inactive staff members since it's not hurting anything for them to be there and people tend to come and go a fair amount on this site or any online community.

The review panel stuff we are working on, I'm somewhat at the mercy of whether or not programmers can finish things based on their own volunteer, free-time based schedules. But even in the last month or two a lot of work has been completed behind the scenes for our plans with the blog. I'm a full-time student and I don't really have much time to devote to dev. work on this site in the fall, hopefully in December I'll have a bit of time to get some things sorted out.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Neat.

mini/sunnies

NXTManiac wrote:

1. Reviewers
I thought it was made pretty clear that the review panel is done with. I don't know why members keep asking for new guys to be added to it, as it's being removed soon.
2. Moderators
I took a look at the moderators list and it looks like the moderators that you didn't mention simply don't visit the site as often. The mods are doing fine, in my opinion.
3. Sacrifice
mayans sacrifice. bims don't.

1. Why demolish a system that could be with effort resolved? We could still remove all the waiting films, then start afresh, with a new regime.
2. I think ZachFB's new topic proves that Mods, asides from the ones who I mentioned and those who aren't active, are trolls.
3. No comment.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

The moderators arent trolling, they're just having a little fun. To me, trolling is spamming, hacking, or posting incredibly offensive stuff just to get people to argue. I think everyone needs to lighten up a little around here.

bricksinmotion member of the year

Onion I don't want to be funny here, but I've just caught you out. You've stated that Just Kidden would make a good reviewer or moderator, but in ZachFB's new topic Just Kidden was also "trolling".

Just Kidden wrote:

if you guys had taste you would choose not that one. mini/rolleyes

Edit: Anyway they were just having a little fun.

Last edited by Larmz (October 23, 2011 (02:24pm))

The review panel is not fixable by adding new reviewers. Sorry, but I have been here for 10 years and you haven't, and I am telling you there is no faster way to get people to lose interest in writing reviews than to add them to the review panel.  We are getting way more submissions than Brickfilms.com ever did.  The system isn't sustainable anymore.  Adding people with questionable writing skills to the review panel in order to live up to the number of submissions we get wouldn't help anyway, because the point was to have reputable, quality reviews that are a cut above what you get in the forums.

We're still going to have reviewers reviewing films, though. The plan is simply to review far less of the submissions, focusing on highlighting the best films.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png