Topic: Complaints (again?)

Herro, I'm back! (pause for moans and groans)

Now, before you moderators and such get all uppity, I just want to clarify something. This post is not about me getting banned.

What I am wanting to complain about is this: Some of the older, "more experienced" members have been being pretty rude around and the moderators don't do anything because, well, their "more experienced."

Exhibit A:
A few days before I was banned a film was released on this site. It was called "Don't you Hate this Face ?!"  (which I enjoyed very much actually, good job) and was created by one who I infer is one of the "newer members." Two days later, a moderator had moved it into the WIP's section with the message

I've moved this to WIPs and tests... y'know, where it belongs.

However, when KG came out with his Lego Sicknasty (even shorter and with less story), there was some debate about wether it should be classified as a Release. The following quote illustrates the point I am trying to make perfectly.

If this wasnt KG everyone would be tearing him a new one about releasing something this short.

However, the same moderator in question who moved the other film replied to this,

...heavens forbid an veteran member with a track record of consistent contribution be given a bit of leeway!...

It was not moved.
(Also, for the record, if you look at KG's posts, they are not exactly the most helpful. No offense though but I wouldn't call it 'Consistent Contribution.')

Exhibit B:
Shortly after being banned from the forums, I entered the chatroom to investigate. It took me about ten minutes to get a decent answer out of any of the people. I am not going to go into detail on the reasons for my ban, but upon asking my question, I was met with responses such as "cool story bro," and "u mad bro," etc. The examples of behaviors such as this are countless. I feel that the "experienced members" don't have the right to be treating people this way. To some of the newer members: Did you know that in the chatroom people post links to posts of yours that they somehow feel is funny, pathetic, or n00bish in some kind of way? They are making fun of all of us behind our backs! Wake up people!

I ask this of you, I plead of you, BE NICE! Countless cases have been where the ancient ones troll the newbies and this has to change!

Another question: Did any of you actually miss me while I was banned?

Re: Complaints (again?)

Did you know that in the chatroom people post links to posts of yours that they somehow feel is funny, pathetic, or n00bish in some kind of way? They are making fun of all of us behind our backs! Wake up people!

In case anyone was wondering, I'm usually the one doing that.

Cool.

See, these are the types of posts that I was just talking about! I knew that I wwould be starting a trollfest by posting this!
Please try to be mature you're annoying me.

I wish people could calm down and be nicer about threads being posted in the wrong places, it's understandable that new folks don't always get this figured out right away. People could stand to be a good deal less uptight about mistakes on this forum in general, I think.

That said, joking about silly things said by newbies in the forums in chat is a time-honored tradition. We have so few pleasures, why deny us this? It's just some of the stuff children post here is terribly funny; there's no cruelty or disrespect intended, here. Many of us were the same way a few years ago ourselves.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

No, Topit, I'm Annoying.
xD

Okay, sorry, on topic:
I agree, it does really seem that way. However, sadly, people just don't do anything when a popular member trolls.
mini/tongue
I think something should be done. Obviously, I can't. However, KG's response here actually pretty much supports your point, quite ironically.

I noticed you were gone for a while, just thought you were busy with school or something and weren't on much. Why did you get banned? If you don't mind my asking.

I wish people could calm down and be nicer about threads being posted in the wrong places, it's understandable that new folks don't always get this figured out right away. People could stand to be a good deal less uptight about mistakes on this forum in general, I think.

I agree.
I'm still a little annoyed though with people saying mean things about the new guys, even if it be jokingly, they won't get that it is, and it'll hurt just as much as if it were not.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

I agree.
I'm still a little annoyed though with people saying mean things about the new guys, even if it be jokingly, they won't get that it is, and it'll hurt just as much as if it were not.

I'm sure you guys do it back in skype or whatever.

Last edited by Cartoonkid98 (October 18, 2011 (03:42pm))

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

It tends to be more to the effect of posting a link to a post and saying something insightful about it, like 'lol,' I feel like we generally aren't saying mean things about specific individuals.

edit: For what it's worth, I get "cool story bro'd" more than anybody in chat, I suspect. It may have something to do with my propensity to tell lots of cool stories.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

It's not a matter of poking fun or moving threads. The point is who the thread is moved for. If a noob film with slightly more substance than an experienced film, and the noob film is moved while the other isn't, that's a problem I'd say. Besides, shouldn't the maker of the film get to decide wether it's a film or not? Film studios often have 30 second commercials under their "filmography"whatever.
This is some serious philosophical stuff we're getting in mini/tongue

Yeah, I agree. If you make one mistake people have to point it out on the threads. I mean who cares? Just be a little more flexible

I agree that many "older" members often critique the "newer" members
I will admit that I would be one of them (not the older part mini/wink )
I think what we need to do is realize that we where all one of these new guy too once

while its is perfectly all right to inform them that they made a mistake
I don't think it is at all called for when people say rude comments about it not being a release.
Nether have I noticed it being that big of a problem

when things get out of hand it is usily when the Brickfilmer that made the animation that is being criticizes
takes the criticism the wrong way

also connectedly any animation that is finished and will not be improved is a realest
so none of these brickfilms that are being moved into WIP & Tests really belong there mini/confused

while I think that members should be warned to watch out for these types of comments
I don't think it is that out of hand.

there was a lot of "i think"s in there please let me know if I am saying anything that isn't right

-Coyote

When I was a younger member, I was kicked out many times, on the chat. The ''older'' members were not really nice with me in the forums-chat. But now, I know why I've been kicked so many times... I was disrespectful. 

I don't want to offend anybody, but members spend too much time complaining about some ''stupid errors''.

If you (Members) think that the chat is boring, just do not go on it.

It's hard to be a Mod, sometime... be patient with them mini/wink

Don't care about the (your) useless problems, spend less time on internet (the forums), and go make a brickfilm mini/smile

LGFB Studios wrote:

spend less time on internet (the forums), and go make a brickfilm

now theres an idea mini/shifty

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion man.

Again, I don't feel that any of you are getting my point. The point here is is that the older members are treating the others like trash andblatantly discriminating against them. If it's because they aren't as good as brickfilming as you are yet, then remember

we need to do is realize that we where all one of these new guy too once

Stevefrog wrote:

Yeah, I agree. If you make one mistake people have to point it out on the threads. I mean who cares? Just be a little more flexible

Good point. Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Jargon for moving a film that the director labeled a "test film" to the WIP forum. While we're at it, I guess we could forgive him for not doing the same on the film which KG clearly stated was not a test.

It's not like the moderators just go around moving threads on a whim. Believe it or not, on a whole we're not really big fans of taking initiative. If we see a glaring sign that someone put a thread in the wrong forum, we move it. I can't speak for the others, but if I do that, it's typically because I know the creator will get more whining from forum members about misplacing their thread than feedback... funny how that works out. Otherwise, we generally only move things when asked by the creator. It's a tough situation; Jargon probably shouldn't have moved the thread, but considering the amount of problems he resolves, I think we should be more than willing to forgive a minor mistake. You (topit) make your post like some desperate attempt at mutiny, so it's difficult to take any of your concerns seriously. Aside from the one small mistake in "Exhibit A", I see no evidence toward intentional staff discrimination against new members solely on the basis that they are "inexperienced". It's not about the quantity of the postings or the amount of time on the forums- it's about whether a person makes well thought out, constructive posts.

We're human, so we do ban people from the chat if they prove to be consistently irritating, but what would you suggest? There's no nice way to tell someone they're an annoyance, and the problem generally solves itself once they mature enough to see why they were so intolerable. We're trying to cultivate an environment where people can make intelligent conversation and have fun without having to watch someone try to push their way to the center of attention (and the interest of being totally clear on this, that's one of the worst things you can do in the chat while I'm around. It's the reason we don't like colored text and multiple postings; they take attention away from other legitimate posts and give yours undue attention. It's not fair to everyone else in the chat).  That said, I think the moderation team is incredibly forgiving in the chat, given that we always provide fair warning before a kick or a ban.

As a final thought: since you considered my first post immature trolling, I guess I should clarify. I wrote that to point out the biggest flaw in your arguments- you blame the entirety of "experienced" members for the faults of a few. KG makes silly joke posts, Lech can be rude, and yes, I delight in posting funny things said on the forums. However, KG is not a moderator, Lech is not officially a moderator (although he may have powers from his time on the Review Panel), and I'm only a moderator because I enjoy reading humorous posts. Believe me, if I didn't find some of the things you folks say to be utterly hilarious, I wouldn't have the willpower to slog through the boring posts and do my job. You have over one-thousand posts on the site, so I fail to see how you could make such an unfounded generalization about "experienced members" without realizing that, if we judged by post count, you would now fall into that category.

Unless you have something legitimate to complain about, stop trying to cause forum drama. I wholeheartedly support LGFB's suggestion: go make a brickfilm. If a member feels they are being personally attacked, they can contact us and we'll work it out.

For what it's worth, I went with the slightly snarky tone in the aforementioned moved thread as a conscious response to the poster's somewhat belligerent attitude in response to being informed of his mistake. You can also, y'know, mention me by name rather than dancing around the issue.

As for KG and his track record, I have to disagree. Newbies and younger members tend to freak out in response to his posts because they miss the point behind the sarcasm.

Lastly, I was in the chatroom when you came in protesting your ban. You consistently overreacted to a little good-natured ribbing, so I have very little sympathy for you. Lighten up, don't take yourself so seriously, and try to learn a little from the older members you find so tiring.

I pretty much agree with what Squash said, about if you say a film is a test, then....it's a test. mini/tongue Maybe if one of your threads gets moved or something you should just ask why it was moved, not getting all worked up about it, they'll most likely give you a valid explanation.
That being said, I think some of you are being a bit too lenient on people like KG. As has been said, if almost anyone else made the post, people might call the person immature and such, but with KG it's "all in good humour". Anyway, I don't feel like ranting about this anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

When a user has been involved with a community for seven (eight?) years or so, they tend to earn a bit of slack.

I guess so, but when he just posts things like "Cool Story bro" or just a random picture, or just trolling for the sake of it, people tend to let it slide.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028