Topic: Harry Potter and the Sword of Irony

Directory Link

Harry Potter and the Sword of Irony

LEGO Harry Potter and the Sword of Irony

A fun adventure-parody based on the first few fims of the popular franchise. Harry begins his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he must battle the forces of evil, learn, solve a mystery, defeat a troll, fall for obvious plot twists, and go to the library! Can Harry, Ron, and Hermione save Hogwarts castle and wizards alike from Voldemort's Death Eaters? Most likely.

This was my first time using chroma-key in an animation, and due to my quick release date set in time for the final Potter film, it is unfortunately not the best quality I could have created. Though I'm quite happy this is my highest quality and longest film, and I created in the shortest time frame!

Last edited by paranickfilmz (August 29, 2011 (01:26am))

Re: Harry Potter and the Sword of Irony

Amazing! 6/5!

That...was...cool!

Thanks everyone, what did you most enjoy?

That was okay. Good animation and effects. The mouth animtion was pretty good, it looked more like part of the minfig's face than any other mouth animation I've seen. It's a little pixelated at times, just fix that and it'll be perfect!

The only part I didn't like that much was some of the voice acting. The voice for Dumbledore was okay, but some others weren't. Hagrid's voice should have been deeper, in my opinion. The voices for the female characters were obviuosly voiced by guys. The one who voiced Hermoine at least tried to sound like a girl, but McGonnagall's voice didn't sound like a female at all. In the future, if you have a female character that needs a voice, get a female voice actor. Everything besides those were okay, but some could be better.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:

That was okay. Good animation and effects. The mouth animtion was pretty good, it looked more like part of the minfig's face than any other mouth animation I've seen. It's a little pixelated at times, just fix that and it'll be perfect!

The only part I didn't like that much was some of the voice acting. The voice for Dumbledore was okay, but some others weren't. Hagrid's voice should have been deeper, in my opinion. The voices for the female characters were obviuosly voiced by guys. The one who voiced Hermoine at least tried to sound like a girl, but McGonnagall's voice didn't sound like a female at all. In the future, if you have a female character that needs a voice, get a female voice actor. Everything besides those were okay, but some could be better.

EDIT: Removed Stupidity!

The female voices where meant to be a joke! We where running out of time also, and I kept insisting we find a better voice actor, but my friend insisted it would be funny to do the McGonagall voice especially manly.

Actually there is a specific reason for Hermione being voiced by a man, but that's for the next episode mini/wink.

Note that the voices where meant to be cartoony and ultimately parodies of the characters. Not to mention with a cast of three people, it's amazing the variety of personalities produced for the film... I do understand the female voice problem, and that's completely logical. Thanks!

Last edited by paranickfilmz (September 4, 2011 (04:21pm))

That was awesome, 'nuff said.

paranickfilmz wrote:
minifig051 wrote:

That was harsh, the female voices where meant to be a joke! We where running out of time also, and I kept insisting we find a better voice actor, but my friend insisted it would be funny to do the McGonagall voice especially manly.
Anyways, sorry if I'm being defensive, I'm just surprised your putting so much of your opinion on details which in most animations are completely ignored or considered less significant... Plus many of the flaws you've pionted out where in elements provided by my pals. I really believe they brought something to the work I never could, and I will defend them to my grave! I do understand the female voice problem, and that's completely logical, but remember this: Shakespeare's plays had all woman played by men, and they are the most important works in history, therefore I'd say thou opinions are quite ironic!

Well, calm down. He wasn't harsh at all: harsh would be saying "you suck" or "It was awful", but he didn't say that. It's contructive criticism what he did. You don't have to be so defensive, in this case it is unnecessary. He's just saying what he thinks could be improved. He isn't saying that your friends didn't do a good job either, and he is actually praising the work on the mouth animation, not critizicing it. You might have misread his post, though, and that's understandable. And actually, in this forum, the details you talk about are not ignored or considered less significant at all: everything that can be improved is pointed out, in youtube it's a different thing. Though, yeah, if a movie has a good story and good direction generally some of us don't mind about the rest, since those are the most important things in bricfilming. I see you're quite new, so welcome to the forums. In case you didn't already read it, check this thread out, it will help you to understand some more about he forum.

(quite ashamed I didn't comment on the movie, but I'm watching it now)

paranickfilmz wrote:

That was harsh, the female voices where meant to be a joke! We where running out of time also, and I kept insisting we find a better voice actor, but my friend insisted it would be funny to do the McGonagall voice especially manly.

The weird thing is all youtube comments have praised the voice acting, and it's been some of our best so far. People have especially praised Hagrid's voice and personality for being especially hilarious and Hermione's voice for being plain stupid.

Actually there is a specific reason for Hermione being voiced by a man, but that's for the next episode mini/wink.

Note that the voices where meant to be cartoony and ultimately parodies of the characters, NOT full remakes of the films characters. Had I wanted to remake the films I would have called "Harry Potter and One of the Movies Subtitles". Not to mention with a cast of three people, it's amazing the variety of personalities produced for the film...

Oh, and the mouth animation. Adviceversas spent days and days  on flash working on this film, animating at 24 frames-per-second for 15 minutes, drawn all by hand. Try to finish all of THAT in two months without creating jagged edges. I know that's a stereotypical thing to say, but I need a good segway to "Harry Potter and the Stereotypical Segway". Plus, you should watch the film in full HD to get the best quality!

Anyways, sorry if I'm being defensive, I'm just surprised your putting so much of your opinion on details which in most animations are completely ignored or considered less significant... Plus many of the flaws you've pionted out where in elements provided by my pals. I really believe they brought something to the work I never could, and I will defend them to my grave! I do understand the female voice problem, and that's completely logical, but remember this: Shakespeare's plays had all woman played by men, and they are the most important works in history, therefore I'd say thou opinions are quite ironic!

No need to get defensive, doc. I'm just offering some constructive critisim here. Critisim like that is how a brickfilmer gets better. People point out the things that they thought could use some work, so the brickfilmer takes the advice and improves so he can do the best he can. I'm only trying to help you. People don't give critisim on YouTube because most users there just want something that's entertianing, they don't care about how it's done. Here on Bricks in Motion, we give critisim to help you improve. We don't mean to insult you or your friends' work. We just want you to do the best you can do.

I get what you're saying with the voice acting, how you wanted cartoony/parody versions of the voices. That's why the Dumbledore voice worked. Quirrel's voice worked as well. But the ones that I pointed out were way too unrealistic. I think that the voices should be somewhat cartoony, yet still be recognised as the character and fit the character. The Hagrid voice was close to fitting, but I think that it would've worked better if it was deeper. The attempted female voices were the voices that were the most unrealistic and unfitting. I understand how that would be thought of as funny, but I think of it as just plain strange. It kind of annoys me, actually. Oh, and the thing about men playing women in Shakespeare's plays: Women weren't allowed to be actors because it considered "unproper" at the time. They didn't have any other choice but to put male actors in female roles. I just thought you might like to know why. I'm not trying to null your argument or anything, I'm just saying.

Last edited by minifig051 (September 4, 2011 (12:45pm))

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

THIS IS AMAZING!! By the way, I do a pretty good Snape imitation, so I'd be happy to do some voiceovers for your next film!

Gorilla & Company Films

I haven't animated anything in over 3 months. I am sorry about that, but I have been working on my magnum opus: Ghost Cat: Port of Call New Orleans

youtube  tumblr  sunglasses & scissors

minifig051 wrote:
paranickfilmz wrote:

That was...opinions are quite ironic!

No need to get defensive... I'm only trying to help you... People don't give critisim on YouTube because most users there just want something that's entertaining,...We don't mean to insult you or your friends' work. We just want you to do the best you can do.

I get what you're saying with the voice acting, how you wanted cartoony/parody versions of the voices. That's why the Dumbledore voice worked. Quirrel's voice worked as well. But the ones that I pointed out were way too unrealistic. I think that the voices should be somewhat cartoony, yet still be recognised as the character and fit the character. The Hagrid voice was close to fitting, but I think that it would've worked better if it was deeper. The attempted female voices were the voices that were the most unrealistic and u....I'm just saying.

Yes I know that about Shakespeare, I was just hoping I could get away that statement...

Wow I really didn't want to get into this big argument over the film, and I totally understand your constructive criticism, and I welcome it. I did apologize for being defensive, because I knew I would be coming off strongly, but all I was trying to was give reason to my choices. Yes, next time I'll tell the guy who voiced Hagrid to go a bit lower for sure,  I myself just found the character by itself so impressive that I didn't notice it's lack of lowness.

I take in all opinions, I'm just exerting my right to give a pointlessly lengthy reply to the first criticism! I guess I was wrong to say your statement was harsh, a was just surprised you jump on that first without commenting on other major factors, and I'm sorry about the whole thing. Plus it was midnight when I wrote that I may have not been thinking clearly.:D

MPfist0 wrote:

Well, calm down. He wasn't harsh at all: harsh would be saying "you suck" or "It was awful", but he didn't say that. It's contructive criticism what he did. You don't have to be so defensive, in this case it is unnecessary. He's just saying what he thinks could be improved. He isn't saying that your friends didn't do a good job either, and he is actually praising the work on the mouth animation, not critizicing it. You might have misread his post, though, and that's understandable. And actually, in this forum, the details you talk about are not ignored or considered less significant at all: everything that can be improved is pointed out, in youtube it's a different thing. Though, yeah, if a movie has a good story and good direction generally some of us don't mind about the rest, since those are the most important things in bricfilming. I see you're quite new, so welcome to the forums. In case you didn't already read it, check this thread out, it will help you to understand some more about he forum.

(quite ashamed I didn't comment on the movie, but I'm watching it now)

Just found it a little harsh that the film was "okay" because Hagrid's voice was an octave too high. But you are right he wasn't insulting it, and I shouldn't have implied and attacked him like that. Thanks so much for the link, and I hope you enjoy the feature presentation!

Wait, did you just implying he thought my story sucked and I'm a bad director!?!?!?!?! How dare you! mini/lol mini/lol mini/delirium

Last edited by paranickfilmz (September 4, 2011 (04:45pm))

I saw it, and I have to agree with minifig051, hermione's voice was quite annoying after a while. Hagrid was ok, and some of the greenscreening also could have used some more work, but it didn't really bothered me. About the rest, it was great. Some parts made me laugh. Good job.

Really like it:)

http://i.imgur.com/Dhlqj.jpg
I voiced in Stephen's BRAWL Entry as The Wrestler, check it out here.

The female voices where meant to be a joke!

I liked how mescaline Professor McGonagall sounded but I found that Hermione's voice sometimes got annoying to listen to. no offense but I'm just saying that her voice probably didn't need to be so high. I liked the animation and the story was Awesome

That...was...AWESOME!!!
9,000/5 stars

amazing 5/5 stars
mini/bigsmile mini/smile

GAMEH0R5E

"today i fell and rubed my knee on the rug and slamed my face into my class door coming from spanish going to home and then recces"- Stephen in the chat room

SpaceGorilla wrote:

THIS IS AMAZING!! By the way, I do a pretty good Snape imitation, so I'd be happy to do some voiceovers for your next film!

Thanks, but there is already is a Snape voice actor. If anything comes up though, I'll let you know!

Absolutely amazing. One of the best videos in general that I have seen in a long time. As a comedy-ish film, I think you got the voices perfect. I think it works, because McGonnagall displays some very 'masculine' traits in the film, and the way she will snap at anyone, including teachers. Therefore the extremely low voice is perfect for it. Also, with a name like 'The Sword of Irony', it is fitting that a smart person like Hermione sounded so dim!
I think some people are missing the fact that this is a comedy film that also mocks certain aspects of the real films, and is meant to be far from a remake. Seriously, 10/10

And if you want to understand what I mean about the characters being the same etc, I suggest you watch this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQZ2jETfaE

Harry and Ron played by French and Saunders, Dobby played by Basil Brush, Hagrid by Ronnie Corbett!

SebJS74 wrote:

Absolutely amazing. One of the best videos in general that I have seen in a long time. As a comedy-ish film, I think you got the voices perfect. I think it works, because McGonnagall displays some very 'masculine' traits in the film, and the way she will snap at anyone, including teachers. Therefore the extremely low voice is perfect for it. Also, with a name like 'The Sword of Irony', it is fitting that a smart person like Hermione sounded so dim!
I think some people are missing the fact that this is a comedy film that also mocks certain aspects of the real films, and is meant to be far from a remake. Seriously, 10/10

And if you want to understand what I mean about the characters being the same etc, I suggest you watch this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQZ2jETfaE

Harry and Ron played by French and Saunders, Dobby played by Basil Brush, Hagrid by Ronnie Corbett!

Thanks! Not sure what all that other stuff is about though, but I'm glad you understand what we were going for here.

Last edited by paranickfilmz (February 2, 2012 (07:38pm))