Topic: Widescreen Videos

I have yet another YouTube question.

I notice that most good YouTube films seem to have the Widescreen option. You know, where it stretches across the whole screen but there are bars above and below them. How can I achieve this? What dimensions should my frames be and what dimensions should my rendered video be? And what are the dimentions for this? And they're called widescreen right?

-Eddie

Last edited by Eddie (May 2, 2011 (07:25am))

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.

Re: Widescreen Videos

widescreen makes a film look more cinematic...
if you actually make the video smaller, it'll mess stuff up, so you gotta keep the normal 16:9 aspect ratio and actually include the black bars in the video.

Youtube | Twitter
"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

How do I do that? What's your process?

| Website |

Well, there's this tutorial by Aquamorph Productions. I used it, and it really works well. I think the dimensions are 1280x720 at standard, but I'm not sure. Although, you could try this
JT

http://tinyurl.com/24rqc2p
http://tinyurl.com/2fo79mjhttp://tinyurl.com/29wkd5hhttp://tinyurl.com/2f9tw29
Sig by RealBrick. I now make sigs, avatars and YouTube backgrounds free of charge! Just PM me, titled one of the options.

Ok guys! Thanks!

| Website |

i do it in ae, but you can do it in wax just as easily.  make a black image the same size as the frame, drop two of them on of the video, and move them up or down using the "basic 3d" effect to that they act as black bars.

Youtube | Twitter
"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

Why don't you just set the composition settings to 16:9 in AE? That would be a much simpler solution I think.

-pacific

Ok, I just keyed it in my editing software. Do the bars look big enough? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCP2MbJzj74

| Website |

You're the one who made the video, so if you made them 1280x545 then they are the proper dimensions.

Proper dimensions refers to a number of standards that have been in use for decades by Hollywood. 16:9 and 4:3 come to mind.

? I just meant the exact dimensions for a ratio of 2.35:1 on his 720p vid.

Why do you want to film in super widescreen? 16:9 looks cinematic, too.

-pacific

pacific wrote:

No, it looks like TV, not cinema.

FilmmakersGuide wrote:
pacific wrote:

No, it looks like TV, not cinema.

Amen, Brother...16:9 is what your average video camera records on now and your TV shows are filmed in. Now super widescreen if what real movie are filmed in.

Question: When making a comedy film is it best to make it widescreen or fullscreen?

| Website |

Aquamorph wrote:

Amen, Brother...16:9 is what your average video camera records on now and your TV shows are filmed in. Now super widescreen if what real movie are filmed in.

Just like Gone With The Wind, North By Northwest, The Ten Commandments, etc, etc.

Making films cinematic is what makes them look cinematic. Not making them wider.

comedy films are dialogue driven, so i don't think you need to make it 2.35, but if you really want to there's no rule against it.

0ldScratch wrote:

Just like Gone With The Wind, North By Northwest, The Ten Commandments, etc, etc.

Making films cinematic is what makes them look cinematic. Not making them wider.

Agreed, but what I am saying is that it helps set the mood.

Besides, those movies where shot in 1.85, the Academy standard, and were made over 60 years ago (when most TV's were in 4:3(?))!

Gone With The Wind is 4:3. And is cinematic.

My point is that whatever the size and shape of your frame, it's how you fill it that counts. Just sticking bars on it doesn't make Eddie's test up there any more cinematic because he's gone for a very flat composition and there's no focal point for your attention.

0ldScratch wrote:

Gone With The Wind is 4:3. And is cinematic.

My point is that whatever the size and shape of your frame, it's how you fill it that counts. Just sticking bars on it doesn't make Eddie's test up there any more cinematic because he's gone for a very flat composition and there's no focal point for your attention.

I agree that what you put in the frame is more important then the aspect ratio of the film but real movies are in widescreen for a good reason. Our eyes see the world in a widescreen format not in 4:3.