Re: Widescreen Videos

Aquamorph wrote:
0ldScratch wrote:

Gone With The Wind is 4:3. And is cinematic.

My point is that whatever the size and shape of your frame, it's how you fill it that counts. Just sticking bars on it doesn't make Eddie's test up there any more cinematic because he's gone for a very flat composition and there's no focal point for your attention.

I agree that what you put in the frame is more important then the aspect ratio of the film but real movies are in widescreen for a good reason. Our eyes see the world in a widescreen format not in 4:3.

But that doesn't by any means mean that anything not in 16:9 can't be cinematic.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Aquamorph wrote:

I agree that what you put in the frame is more important then the aspect ratio of the film but real movies are in widescreen for a good reason. Our eyes see the world in a widescreen format not in 4:3.

Real movies are in widescreen because the studios in the '50s were frightened that TV was going to steal away the moviegoing audience. Just like "real movies" now are in 3D because the studios are frightened that downloading is going to steal away the moviegoing audience. It has nothing to do with how our eyes see the world.

Our eyes see the world in something closer to IMAX 3D. Maybe we should all use that for our brickfilms in future.

Here is the thing, Cinematic is defined as "having qualities characteristic of motion pictures." Now movies are now made in widescreen. There for it is not cinematic to be 16:9. Not to say that 16:9 makes your film "uncinematic" but it is more cinematic to be in widescreen.

Widescreen DOES make a film more cinematic but it doesn't improve the quality in any way. And yes, I think it has got something to do with how we perceive the world that we think widescreen looks good, but 16:9 is enough. Our eyes certainly don't see in a TV super widescreen manner.

You may argue about 2.35:1 in an action film but I don't know what I'd think about a comedy film in super widescreen! Seriously, that's overkill in my opinion.

16:9 is a widescreen format, looks good, and is the current standard for TV. But there's a point when you actually see too little of a film and think that those black bars are god-damn annoying, e.g. a comedy in super widescreen.

-pacific

2.35:1 is peanuts, you should try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6VM3zhuwQ

budgetstudios wrote:

2.35:1 is peanuts, you should try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6VM3zhuwQ

Haha, Family Guy's great. mini/bigsmile

-pacific

Well, I agree that the main thing is what's actually viewed on the screen is more important for being cinematic. However, In comparison of a shot with wide and regular, the wide DOES look more cinematic than the other. But, when doing wide, you should probably shoot the shot slightly differently than if it where not wide, like you might set the camera back further if you're trying to shoot something tall so it'll not be cut off at the top. But personally, I think it's better. mini/smile All my movies have been shot in regular, but I found a wide setting on my camera and I'm filming my current movie in wide. I find it looks much nicer and more professional looking. It also is a bit useful for this movie because most of it takes place in a bank, and I could only make it's walls so tall, but the wide helps make it so I don't have to angle my camera down as much. And the wide makes my huge detailed bank look much more expansive and impressive.

0ldScratch wrote:
Aquamorph wrote:

Real movies are in widescreen because the studios in the '50s were frightened that TV was going to steal away the moviegoing audience. Just like "real movies" now are in 3D because the studios are frightened that downloading is going to steal away the moviegoing audience. It has nothing to do with how our eyes see the world.

Our eyes see the world in something closer to IMAX 3D. Maybe we should all use that for our brickfilms in future.

And now a history lesson from FilmmakersGuide:

(And the audience says: "Yay! mini/bigsmile )
FACT: We see in 16:9. Among other reasons, that is why TV is in 16:9. Directors for many films liked 2.35 because since it was wider that 16:9, audiences couldn't see the whole screen at once, making them more involved by having to imagine beyond the frame. This was good for films where there is a lot going on beyond the frame, but you want the audience to focus on one part (such as action). Just because our eyes see in a certain way, that doesn't mean we need to make films that way, for that isn't always the most useful way to go.

I would be interested in seeing the medical evidence that backs up that fact there.

Our field of view is massively wide, we just can't see everything clearly in our peripheral vision.

I'm siding with OldScratch on this one actually. I don't think just because we have wide vision it necessarily has to be in 16:9. In fact, I just made a quick google search and I came up with this at the very top of the search results. Looking at other articles in my search, most all of them came up with very similar results.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

maybe but the alternative is 4:3, so 16:9 seems pretty modest.

Heh. I never payed attention to the whole darn thing.
EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, I think this is my 400th post on this site.

what a meaningful 400th post.

I thought we were discussing super widescreen instead of 4:3 vs 16:9?

If it's now all about 16:9, then the issue's clear for me. 16:9 looks much, I repeat: much nicer than 4:3. The difference is striking, really. But what I feel is not that necessary is super widescreen, i.e. an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. As I stated earlier, you may argue about it in an action film but since the topic is actually Eddie's comedy film, 2.35:1 isn't an option at all IMO.

-pacific

The funniest thing is, I have long since fixed my problem and you guys are still bickering. mini/wink

But life's notjust about me.....

| Website |
So yeah, I'm back from my mind.