Topic: The Ratcatcher

Directory Link

The Ratcatcher

Watch "The Ratcatcher" here.

A small medieval village's survival is placed in the hands of the lowliest man in town: the Ratcatcher.

It took almost two months to create, and includes blinking Lego minifigures, some great color grading, and much, much more.

An entry for the Bricks in Motion "Tales Of Yore" contest.

Re: The Ratcatcher

I hate to break it to you:

Sméagol, in the rules of the contest, wrote:

Films may be submitted as early as the beginning of July 2011, though they cannot be made public until after the deadline has passed.

So no, this is not an entry to TOY.

EDIT: As for the film itself, it was hard to understand. I didn't understand what was happening until about 3/4 of the way in; speaking of length, it was very short for a contest that had a six or seven month deadline. The main character blinked way too often, although it was nice to see facial expressions. I did like the zooming in and out of the bubbles as a replacement for speech and thought. Perhaps the biggest contribution to my confusion was the films fast pace. All in all, it was a nice film. 2.5-3/5

Last edited by mcoov (April 22, 2011 (07:26pm))

How did I miss that? Oh well, I'll just blame it on the sinus infection. It's not like this was going to win anyways.

So I guess at this point I cannot take it down, since it has already been made public, so it would still be DQ'ed.

At least I have an appropriate use of this smiley face: mini/twitch

FilmmakersGuide wrote:

So I guess at this point I cannot take it down, since it has already been made public, so it would still be DQ'ed.

Correct. And that is the most appropriate usage of that emoticon I've ever seen.

mcoov wrote:

Correct. And that is the most appropriate usage of that emoticon I've ever seen.

Yup.

I had to post this now anyways since it is due for a class project this week and I won't be there to present it, so I needed proof that it was done. I guess technically presenting to a group of classmates could be considered  a "public release." mini/madhead

That's OK. I've won my fair share of contests.

Despite a few technical thingies, I really enjoyed this film! I am not even sure why, but I really liked it! The story was simple and the music and lighting worked well! This is good! Good job mini/bigsmile

Good, I guess. The animation was good, but I think there was too much camera movement. The CG faces looked a little wierd and they blinked too much. Nice music, where did you get it?

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:

Good, I guess. The animation was good, but I think there was too much camera movement.

Alas, the brickfilm community (I honestly believe that most brickfilms have too little camera motion).

minifig051 wrote:

The CG faces looked a little wierd and they blinked too much.

Do you know how bright the lights are? They're like two giant suns stuck near your face! mini/tongue

minifig051 wrote:

Nice music, where did you get it?

Original music by Kevin MacLeod. Compiled by me.

Last edited by FilmmakersGuide (April 23, 2011 (06:04pm))

Well, despite the fact that mcoov is right in most of the things he says, I thought the story was comprehensible, and quite easily. And yes, they blink too much, but it really didn't bether me much (though yes, you should avoid to do it in future movies). About the camera movement, it was ok. Try to fix these things. All in all, it was a good brickfilm, I enjoyed it.

FilmmakersGuide wrote:
minifig051 wrote:

Nice music, where did you get it?

Original music by Kevin MacLeod. Compiled by me.

I was thinking it was his. What exact pieces? I've never heard those before.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

All the music was from the Celtic album.