Topic: Beginner Criticism

Well, I wouldn't say i'm a "beginner", but i'm definetaly not as good as most of the people on this forum. But that's why I joined.

So, here is my channel.
Here are some brickilms
Here are a few shorts.

ANY and ALL criticism accepted, don't sugarcoat it, and please suggest what I should do better.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

Re: Beginner Criticism

Haha, so I watched your film "Airport Security" and it was quite funny! The plot was fantastic, I loved how the sign flipped over! The lighting was good, but sometimes it would change. Sometimes it was yellowish light, and then sometimes it was blueish. Also the animation was a little bit choppy, I'd have more frame per second. But really, it was pretty good! mini/smile

Awesomeonomy wrote:

Haha, so I watched your film "Airport Security" and it was quite funny! The plot was fantastic, I loved how the sign flipped over! The lighting was good, but sometimes it would change. Sometimes it was yellowish light, and then sometimes it was blueish. Also the animation was a little bit choppy, I'd have more frame per second. But really, it was pretty good! mini/smile

Well thank you very much.

I believe the lighting was do to the open window behind me mini/sweat
And as for the fps, i'm working on raising that. I'm at about 9-10 right now.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

You have some pretty good stuff! My suggestions would be to turn off auto-focus, and auto-white balance. I also noticed your fingers in quite a few shots. As Awesomeonomy said, your airport storyline was great, and the humor was enough to make me laugh out loud. You really have some potential, you just need to work a bit more on the technical aspects. I would also suggest raising your FPS to 15, as that seems to work best for most brickfilmers. I found the voice acting to be pretty good, but for christs sake please hold the mic a bit further away from your mouth. I really hate it when people blow into the mic like that, and it can really hurt a good film. Also, the camera seemed a bit shaky at times, and there were quite a few set bumps. To fix those problems, simply fasten your camera somehow with a cradle or tripod. To fix the set bumps, just tape down your set. It's really that simple.

The lighting issues can be solved rather easily. If you have a room with no windows, it would be best to animate in. If not, just draw the blinds. If you can't do either, it may be best to do the majority of your animating at night. It also helps to use at least two desk lamps when filming.

I hope all of this helps, and I can't wait to see more films with your style of humor in the future! You really have talent!

Last edited by Spudster (November 29, 2009 (02:22pm))

Spudster wrote:

You have some pretty good stuff! My suggestions would be to turn off auto-focus, and auto-white balance. I also noticed your fingers in quite a few shots. Awesomeonomy said, your airport storyline was great, and the humor was enough to make me laugh out loud. You really have some potential, you just need to work a bit more on the technical aspects. I would also suggest raising your FPS to 15, as that seems to work best for most brickfilmers. I found the voice acting to be pretty good, but for christs sake please hold the mic a bit further away from your mouth. I really hate it when people blow into the mic like that, and it can really hurt a good film.

The lighting issues can be solved rather easily. If you have a room with no windows, it would be best to animate in. If not, just draw the blinds. If you can't do either, it may be best to do the majority of your animating at night. It also helps to use at least two desk lamps when filming.

So, manual settings. Makes sense.
Ya, I have a low quality mic. I'll either upgrade or find the right distance mini/lol

As for the lighting:
The only rooms in my house without windows are the bathrooms mini/blankexpression But i'll figure it out.

I hope all of this helps, and I can't wait to see more films with your style of humor in the future! You really have talent!

Wow, thank you very much mini/bigsmile

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

To solve the window problem, you can cover them up with curtains or blinds (that is, if they can block out a pretty good amount of light). Or you can just wait until night to animate.

Hope that helps. mini/wink

-LMP

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DaLegoMaster/Other/brook_signature.png

LMP wrote:

To solve the window problem, you can cover them up with curtains or blinds (that is, if they can block out a pretty good amount of light). Or you can just wait until night to animate.

Hope that helps. mini/wink

-LMP

All right, thanks.
I have one room with pretty thick blinds, i'll try my next stop motion in there mini/smile

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

Your things are great. All you need is some more practice. I would start to make sure you hand doesn't get in the shot as much. -Peanut mini/smile

I do not care about your opinion, unless it has to do with it needing more ponies.
||YouTube||BrickShelf||Vimeo|

Peanut Studios wrote:

Your things are great. All you need is some more practice. I would start to make sure you hand doesn't get in the shot as much. -Peanut mini/smile

Thank you mini/smile

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]

Wow! You make some pretty funny films. I was laughing so hard that I almost cried at the end of airport security mini/lol

Aaron wrote:

Wow! You make some pretty funny films. I was laughing so hard that I almost cried at the end of airport security mini/lol

Well thanks!
I've gotten some better feedback from this thread than I thought I would've.

I LURK MORE THAN I POST]