Topic: 24 FPS On Doubles

I've been thinking about switching over to using 24 FPS on doubles (which also equals 12 fps). I find I like it much better than 15 frames per second; there was a LEGO music video a while back created by Ben Cowell that shows this technique perfectly (actually, I'm not sure if he shot on doubles, but it does use 24 fps). It has a kind of imperfect quality in the movements that just makes the film perfect; on the flip side, 15 fps films seem a little too perfect, at least for comedic films, and videos that need to be more lively, like the music video mentioned above. (Actually, I should correct myself here. You can make films with 15 fps that look more lively, but 24 fps gives quicker looking movements.)

If you think shooting 24 fps on doubles would make the film slower, think again. If you needed faster movements, you could easily switch to 24 fps. And the quality of the animation isn't that bad; I did a test a couple months ago, and I could hardly tell the difference. After all, it is only 3 frames less than what most of us use. I really think I'm going to make the switch. Not only will it make my films seem more lively (after I get used to it, of course), but it would be a good idea for me anyway; if I'm going to do animation for a living, it might be a good idea to acquaint myself with 24 fps.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this technique.

Last edited by Littlebrick (January 10, 2009 (09:36pm))

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Re: 24 FPS On Doubles

I once tried Doubles (but with 30FPS). Its easy if you set the hold to 2, but what I did was take 2 frames of the minifig and 1 of the car so they wouldn't go the same speed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Sounds like a promising experiment, I've also considered it in the past though I did opt for 15 fps in my current project.  I guess I'm concerned about how this footage would look if you were to examine it at a slower rate or something, or that the switch from 12 to 24 whenever you feel like it could be jarring.  Then again, isn't this the norm in professional claymation?  I thought I had read somewhere that most of Wallace and Gromit is shot at 24 fps on (mainly) doubles.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Im real new to brick filming, what do you mean by "on doubles"?

Brifx

On doubles means you take two frames of the same movement.

I think that would be a cool idea LittleBrick. I would like to see the outcome of the change to 24 fps on doubles.

Last edited by Frogtrap (January 11, 2009 (03:10pm))

It means that you take two frames instead of one each time.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I think Crazyanimator's THAC 4 entry was shot at 12fps, and it turned out pretty good. I wonder if he used doubles. I'm personally going to stick to 15 fps, since I'm used to it, and it's easier to make frames - seconds conversions in my head (useful when I don't animate with a computer nearby).

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

I don't see the point, why not just 12 FPS? I know, its not really an extra hassle but it just doesn't make that much sense.

-LBJ

AHH THE JET SET '60'S, THANKS NANCY!
Youtube | JM-Music | Facebook
"But 3D is cool as nipples, man. " - Jimmybob

I animate at 15 FPS, iStopmotion exports it as if it were animated on doubles.  It doesn't make a difference as far as I've seen.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Hazzat wrote:

It means that you take two frames instead of one each time.

That's true when using real film, but in the digital, I still just take a single image each movement, and then import into MonkeyJam "hold 2", so each image is displayed for 2 frames instead of just 1.  That accomplishes the same thing and takes half the memory card or hard disk space.

As far as I can see it, the only reason to "shoot doubles at 24 FPS" is if you're planning for a theatrical film release or if you intend to manipulate some timing by switching from 12 to 24FPS from time to time.  Of course you can get 16 FPS if you hold 2, hold 1, hold 2, hold 1, etc at 24 FPS.  And really any frame rate in between 12 and 24 if you're willing to take the time to manipulate the frame holds that much.

I like to shoot at 15 FPS, but often edit it as hold 2 at 30 FPS.  That way if an ease-in or -out of a motion is just a tad to quick or jerky, I can smooth it out by holding 3 (10 FPS) for just the ease-in or ease-out frame.  Switching to 10FPS for just 1 image and then back to 15 or whatever is imperceptible to the human eye/brain, IMO.

I did a test not long ago that required me to shot on quintuples. This is because I had a train going by.

Jonathan|Marrero wrote:

I don't see the point, why not just 12 FPS? I know, its not really an extra hassle but it just doesn't make that much sense.

The advantage is that you can switch to 24 fps whenever you want, mid-shot.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

mcoov_studios wrote:

I did a test not long ago that required me to shot on quintuples. This is because I had a train going by.

So you held the same image for 4 frames (or you captured the same image 4 times, same thing) and played it back at 24 FPS?  That's equivalent to shooting singles at 6 FPS which wouldn't be too desirable. 

For a fast train going by, I'd suspect you'd want to maybe shoot on singles at 30FPS.  In general, the faster the motion you want to capture, the higher the frame rate you should use.  Shooting on doubles, triples, etc. effectively lowers the frame rate, not raises it.

No. I shot at 75fps. I moved the train every frame, but the minfig only moved every 5 frames.

I'm glad I found this thread as I'm currently filming my Star Wars sequel at 24fps on 2's.  I reluctantly did this as there's a fast moving animated background in one of the main scenes and rendering that at 15fps just didn't flow right so had to make the jump to 24fps. 

So far though the walk cycle etc has seemed a little more realistic and not as rushed as 15fps was but this week I start the final l/sabre fight and am a little cautious on how to stage this and how the pacing for the fight should be staged as I'm so used to filming at 15fps.  Any suggestions on how I should pace the swings and clashes would be greatly appreciated.! 

Can Anazzi handle switching between 24fps on 2's to 1's in mid flow as I may be inclined to film the fight on 1's if this keeps everything fluid

Smeagol you are right, Wallace and Grommit is filmed at 24 on 2's. 

Thanks

AC

I'm glad you found this thread too, because it's pretty helpful. However, please don't bump threads that are this old. It annoys people.

mcoov wrote:

No. I shot at 75fps. I moved the train every frame, but the minfig only moved every 5 frames.

The trouble with 75FPS is I'm not sure anything can play back video at 75FPS.  TV and DVDs in the US are 29.97FPS, 25FPS in Europe.  I can play back video at 30FPS on my PC, but anything more than that bogs down.  I think some video games might be 60FPS on some systems?

If I filmed as you describe, I'd need to convert it to 29.97FPS to put it onto DVD for example.  So that that would cut out about 2 out of every 3 frames, so I might as well only move the train twice for every minifig movement and just move the train a larger distance than you were at 75FPS.  So my point is that though filming at 75FPS is possible, if you can't play things back readily at the frame rate, there's no point in putting in the extra work of filming at such a high frame rate if you will ultimately need to cut it back down to 30FPS or lower.

BTW, I personally don't mind bumps to old threads if they contribute relevant or interesting content.

mcoov wrote:

I'm glad you found this thread too, because it's pretty helpful. However, please don't bump threads that are this old. It annoys people.

How can this be annoying...?  It's 8 months old, big deal...?!

AngryChair wrote:
mcoov wrote:

How can this be annoying...?  It's 8 months old, big deal...?!

It may stop people who recently made a thread getting answers.

_2014

Excuse me people, but there is nothing wrong with this bump at all. An old thread on 24FPS with doubles was made, and AngryChair bumped it to ask a question completely relevant to the thread's subject.

Anyways, to answer your question AngryChair, I don't think Anasazi has an option to shoot on doubles. Of course, you could take a picture of the same frame twice, but technically that isn't shooting on doubles, and there might be some disrepancies between the two frames. A better idea might be to use MonkeyJam, a slightly more advanced (though slightly more complicated as well) piece of software that supports shooting on doubles, tripples, heck, even quadruples if you want to. (Oh and it has an option to shoot on singles, too.)