Topic: Dolly shots

Hey guys.

Just been practicing some Dolly shots. I would like to know some feedback mini/bigsmile.

Youtube link

Thanks to shrankenhiemer for some help.

-Loz

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

Re: Dolly shots

The first was smoother but changed speed half way through, the second had a lot of bumps. Can you post a picture of your set up?

_2014

the first one was the best. it was REALLY smooth.

Hmm, I wouldn't say any of them were particularly smooth. One thing I would recommend is taping a ruler behind your camera so that not only does it give you a track to help keep your dolly straight, but it will let you measure how much you're moving your camera per frame, so it moves at a consistent pace.

MindGame wrote:

Hmm, I wouldn't say any of them were particularly smooth. One thing I would recommend is taping a ruler behind your camera so that not only does it give you a track to help keep your dolly straight, but it will let you measure how much you're moving your camera per frame, so it moves at a consistent pace.

Thanks for the advice mini/smile. I will try with the ruler. How much should I move of the camera each time to make it smooth? A couple of millimeters? Or is just down to what type of atmosphere you want to portray?

randomparrot wrote:

The first was smoother but changed speed half way through, the second had a lot of bumps. Can you post a picture of your set up?

I cleared the set and set-up away, it wasn't particularly great anyway. But I'll probably try again, with the method Zach suggested, so I'll try to get a pic then mini/smile

Thanks for the comments guys mini/smile.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

The ruler is a great idea! thanks for the tip for us noobs! (me)

er, whats a dolly shot?

a dolly shot is the same as a camera moving through a scene(usually on a dolly, hence the name).