Re: Locking topics?

Brian, I fail to see how coping and pasting links is a replacement for good conversation, but can you please tell me how these posts, in response to the topic are worth anybodies time:

Darkman wrote:

Yeah right mini/tongue

D.J.M. wrote:
T.G-Tom wrote:
Darkman wrote:

Yeah right mini/tongue

Dave wrote:

It's threads like this that make me wonder why I come to this site.

regardless of the content of the original post it should be clear to any literate person that NO worthwhile conversation was going to come from that topic. And after it was posted I checked to see if soap4000's IP was the same as yours, but I should have know better, you are clearly much more skilled at trolling then soap.

Coping and pasting controversial links is not lively discussion, it's LAZY TROLLING

1. How is this topic harming anyone
2. Not everyone visits everyday
3. Smarter people don't visit as often
4. Just because idiots find a topic first doesn't mean it should be locked
5. I wanted to make a legit reply, but it was locked.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Coping and pasting controversial links is not lively discussion, it's LAZY TROLLING

Ok, so posting a movie in the movies forum with only a link and a one line description is trolling now? This is ridiculous.

brian wrote:

So, I'm not very smart?

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg

The great irony is that some people post 100% spam eg:

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … monkey-os/

And it does not get locked

There is no way this operating system exists. One programmer coding an operating system from the ground up that perfectly executes windows applications?

You mods are just head hunting and going after people like "soap4000" for whatever reason....

HeAndHimStudios wrote:
brian wrote:

So, I'm not very smart?

Intelligence comes with age. With age comes work.

From my experience with flat earth websites, almost all of the people there realize it's silly and just like to joke about it.  They put together elaborate explanations for it for fun.  It's, like, a really unproductive hobby.  Perhaps you do just care enough about this site to give constructive criticism, but both of the 'arbitrarily' locked threads you've provided to back up your point were both started by someone apparently named after a spammer from BF some years ago, and most of his posts on this site haven't really contributed much to discussion.  We don't lock a thread unless it looks like it's going to be more of a headache than it's worth, which is why those two threads are the only ones we've locked in this forum in months.

edit: Ok, there's no conclusive proof that simpsonking is making that up, why not give him the benefit of a doubt?  I know it's easy to play devil's advocate and call it unjust when the mods use common sense in disfavoring someone named 'soap4000' who just registered, but calling simpsonking a liar because he claims to have made an OS (he never said from the ground up) is rude at best.

-Sméagol, who probably wouldn't have locked the flat earth thread but thinks the justification was sufficient

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

brian wrote:
SlothPaladin wrote:

Ok, so posting a movie in the movies forum with only a link and a one line description is trolling now? This is ridiculous.

How is posting a link to a movie a 'controversial link'?  Posting a link that 99.9% of the forum is going to disagree with out expounding is just trolling.  This is a site about film making, posting links to things that film makers (or lovers) may find interesting is not trolling.  Trolling is all about stirring up controversy for the hell of it.

[meta]This thread is an excellent example of trolling that is right on the edge, but has not really crossed the line.  While you may not have gotten an interesting conversation about a flat earth defending the thread has got a reaction that I'm sure makes you very pleased.  You've even managed to provoke administrators into long responses. [/meta]

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt? Because he has provided no evidence and is claiming something highly implausible. Team efforts to do what he is talking about are eons away:

http://www.reactos.org

Microsoft spends billions to create its operating systems... how likely is it that someone on these forums will reverse engineer windows? Its called spam.... Even IF he did have an operating system (that wasn't built from the ground up) it is certainly not legal... and this is not the place for piracy...

SlothPaladin wrote:

Posting a link that 99.9% of the forum is going to disagree with out expounding is just trolling.

Would me posting a link of Obama saying brickfilms should be outlawed be trolling?

Also: How do you know that 99.9% of people would disagree? You didn't let the discussion continue....

If there really such a link from a reliable source that would not be trolling, while the topic of the link might be controversial I don't think there would be any controversy about discussing such a topic, we are all brickfilmers after all.  However if the post was just from some extremest fear mongering website why should we give them more traffic?  We are not thread locking robots, threads are locked on a case by case basis, if a thread looks like it will be entertaining, or might have good conversations they aren't going to be locked, but this is not a forum where you can spam your every whim.

brian wrote:

Also: How do you know that 99.9% of people would disagree?

How does he know that people wouldn't think the earth is flat?

mini/lol

That's a question that is easy to ask if you're trying to disagree, but when you step back and look at it with some common sense it doesn't really hold up.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Maybe you missed it, but in my post I defended the original poster:

SlothPaladin wrote:

Many of us know the truth, that the earth is flat and rest on the shoulders of four giant elephants who stand on The Great Turtle A'Tuin.  However the very nature of this discussion will create more finger pointing, and unpleasantness then a topic about religion, so I'll have to lock this mini/sad

So maybe just maybe, I've had the argument with others before and ran some statistics on it?  I know you aren't a member of every forum I visit.

SlothPaladin wrote:

If there really such a link from a reliable source that would not be trolling, while the topic of the link might be controversial I don't think there would be any controversy about discussing such a topic, we are all brickfilmers after all.  However if the post was just from some extremest fear mongering website why should we give them more traffic?  We are not thread locking robots, threads are locked on a case by case basis, if a thread looks like it will be entertaining, or might have good conversations they aren't going to be locked, but this is not a forum where you can spam your every whim.

This is just ridiculous. If the topic will not be interesting it will die out by itself. You don't need to lock topics to ensure their doom.

Soap4000 posted links to a scientific theory. Next thing we know if he posts a topic about super-string theory it will be locked too. After all it is very controversial.

It says he shall release it later, he's designing it of another OS, adn Linux. It's not spam.

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg

I find this conversation somewhat hilarious. mini/lol
Mainly because of Brian's responses.

Last edited by Just Kidden (May 19, 2009 (07:29am))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon