Topic: First skill to learn for new stop motion creator - The walking cycle

Hello all! I am very new to stop motion. I have done already just few movies and some test clips. I have decided that I want to master first the walking cycle before trying anything fancier skills. Here's how it looks so far.

https://youtu.be/2QMYRg_1ywc

The most frustrating part is the middle section where mini figure does not stand on either of studs - instead of trying it to balance between. Any tips or best practices for the middle section?

Re: First skill to learn for new stop motion creator - The walking cycle

The walking looks nice! For the in-between frames I usually use sticky tack or putty to keep the figure balanced. The arm and leg movement looks good too. I would try experimenting with leaning the upper body forward a bit at the beginning of a step as well, and maybe leaning it back when the foot is about to touch down again. Over all it's really pretty good though.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will take a look at those tips definitely. Nice hobby and I noticed this requires patience and practicing a lot!

I like the way it looks, in a way, “bouncy” around ten seconds time. Good job.

To improve you could study minifig walks in others’ films, going frame by frame on youtube.https://www.techtricksworld.com/frame-b … n-youtube/

First of all, open YouTube on your web browser on your desktop PC.
Play the video in which you want to go frame by frame for.
Now pause the video at the desired time by either clicking on the Pause button or by simply pressing the Spacebar key on your Keyboard.
Now to go frame by frame, press the “>” key on your keyboard to move a frame forward or press the “<” Key on your keyboard to move a frame backward.

Super tip Robukka! Very good idea to observe frame-by-frame from the other's videos. Haven't tried that yet.

Heya veepee, welcome to Bricks in Motion! \o/ \o/ \o/

The animation test is quite good, and it looks like you have a solid setup for brickfilming. Great camera quality, no light flickering, no moving/jittering of the camera... you've managed to avoid the biggest beginner's pitfalls! The animation looks pretty good, especially for a first effort. Helix and Robukka have have given some good advice so far.

Something to keep an eye on while animating is making sure that the upper body doesn't randomly move around between frames. One frame he's leaning forward, the next one backward, the next he's straight again. This jittery movement is hard on the eyes, and makes the animation look choppy. For the running, don't be afraid to use bigger movements! Throw the legs up in the air, let those arms swing a lot more. In the part where he's walking toward the camera, he sort of "hops" for one single frame (I think that's when his legs are between the studs?), which also looks a bit choppy. It might look better by having him be a little higher for the next frame so that the bouncing flows a bit more natural.

Don't feel like you need to work on all these things! I'm nitpicking a lot here. A lot of these things become much easier the more you animate, to the point where you don't even have to think consciously about it. Practice makes perfect! mini/mrgreen

Last thing: Helix mentioned "sticky tack". In the Netherlands (and Germany) the goto product for this is Pritt Poster Buddies. I don't know if they have this exact stuff in Finland, but you can probably find something similar at an office supply store (usually close to the thumb tacks). The regular use is to stick posters onto walls. It's sort of a sticky clay, almost like chewing gum. It's very handy to keep minifigs from falling over, and has all sorts of uses.

After publishing videos I noticed, especially in the first two episodes, that I have accidentally moved some items (e.g. police car unintentionally) which looks bit disturbing. But I forgive myself as these are my first movies and I have always opportunity to improve from here.

But I like all of this feedback and really gives me ideas what to look in the coming videos. And also all of this supporting "tools/materials". I'm pretty sure that we have all kind of tacks available, just matter to seek right shop for it. Maybe regular grocery store has only the basic ones available but at least those which are specialized to hobbies should have wider offering.

The best by far, at least in America, and what most brickfilmers use is Bostick's Blu-Tack, which you can get cheap on Amazon. Not sure about internationally wise though, but keep up the good work man!

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

When I first bought any tack/putty I just got a random one at a local craft store. It's worked out for me and I still use it, but some types definitely work better than others.