Topic: The First Letter - BRAWL 2021

The First Letter - BRAWL 2021

Watch Now: Vimeo
Released: July 10, 2021
Content Advisory: no violence, no language, no sexual content

A lonely octopus receives a mystery letter. Will she reply to her first letter?

Made for BRAWL 2021. The color mod was red and white and the letter mod was the letter 'M'.

Nerdy-specs
Camera: Logitech C920
Microphone: Blue Snowball iCE
Editing: Shotcut
Image editing: Adobe Photoshop
Sound recording: Audacity
Image capture: Tahoma2D
Frame-rate: 15fps
Resolution: 1080p

Directory Link

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Re: The First Letter - BRAWL 2021

This is great! The music, sound design, lighting, animation, and story are all good. I love the contrast of the objects to the snow. The blue background created a cold atmosphere and I think you added some blue light in there too. Also who knew legsharks were so friendly? The only critique I really have is the camera shake for mostly the above shots. All in all, great film! Good luck in the judging!

Helix Bricks Productions wrote:

This is great! The music, sound design, lighting, animation, and story are all good. I love the contrast of the objects to the snow. The blue background created a cold atmosphere and I think you added some blue light in there too. Also who knew legsharks were so friendly? The only critique I really have is the camera shake for mostly the above shots. All in all, great film! Good luck in the judging!

Thank you! To achieve the top-down shots I had my webcam attached to a microphone boom-arm with a thread adapter. and I kept hitting it with my hands when I animated. I had one light on the set and one on the background with a blue filter on it. It was my first time using my new video light kit I got for my birthday.
Ah, Legsharks. They be friendly in these parts!

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Oh I se. Does your light kit have a name I can search up? I've been wanting to do more with lighting. Thanks!

I have the Neewer 2-Pack Dimmable 5600K USB LED Video Light with Adjustable Tripod Stand and Color Filters. Here is one with boom-arms instead of tripod stands. If you want to see all of Neewers lights click here.

Thanks so much! I'll take a look!

The characters were amazing and the goings-on was sweet.

Robukka wrote:

The characters were amazing and the goings-on was sweet.

Thanks! I wanted to do a film without minifigs because you can do so much more with an animal but it also makes you try different things you wouldn't do with a minifigure.

I almost missed this film because it's not on YouTube, but I'm really happy I went out to find the non-YouTube entries because this was great. The set design was very cool, I dig the cartoony feel overall. The characters were animated very well, too. Even though the film is very short and the tools you used were limited, you managed to create a very distinct and lively world. I dunno, watching this film just made me happy.

BertL wrote:

I almost missed this film because it's not on YouTube, but I'm really happy I went out to find the non-YouTube entries because this was great. The set design was very cool, I dig the cartoony feel overall. The characters were animated very well, too. Even though the film is very short and the tools you used were limited, you managed to create a very distinct and lively world. I dunno, watching this film just made me happy.

Thanks! I worked really hard on the animation. I'm glad it made you feel that way.

It was beautiful.

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

Puskov wrote:

It was beautiful.

Thank you so much!