Topic: First time manual lip sync

Hi all,

I'm new to brickfilming and have been making a few experimental videos to try out new things in stop motion. In my latest video https://youtu.be/X6oJsEXKrEA I have tried to do one with manual lip sync using the replaceable heads from minifigs.me. I really struggled in understanding what letter/ head to use to make words and sentences, for example I did would as wud and right as rit. Another thing that was difficult was actually making the lips sync in time to the audio (the bread and butter of lip syncing mini/rolleyes ). I've been using the free android app stop motion studio, am I right in thinking the whole lip syncing in time to the audio would be a hell of a lot easier on a desktop software?

Any tips/ hints/ suggestions that you can provide would be extremely useful for an aspiring brickfilmer.

Re: First time manual lip sync

Try different things. It might be easier if you did mouth animation in the editing stage instead of changing faces all the time. I am going to do a mouth animation test soon (it will be in editing) so I'll tell you how it goes. GUATEMAX Animations draws the faces on her figs be hand on the computer and it looks real good. mini/smile

Re: First time manual lip sync

2x4 studios wrote:

Try different things. It might be easier if you did mouth animation in the editing stage instead of changing faces all the time. I am going to do a mouth animation test soon (it will be in editing) so I'll tell you how it goes. GUATEMAX Animations draws the faces on her figs be hand on the computer and it looks real good. mini/smile

I did think it might be easier to do the mouth animation via the software, but the thing is I've already bought the heads and I want to put them to some good use before I try my hand at that, then I can see the differences in lip syncing methods.

Is your mouth animation test for your story of scout production? Once you've finished it, please send me a link I'll be intrigued to see the results.

Re: First time manual lip sync

Legobytes wrote:
2x4 studios wrote:

Try different things. It might be easier if you did mouth animation in the editing stage instead of changing faces all the time. I am going to do a mouth animation test soon (it will be in editing) so I'll tell you how it goes. GUATEMAX Animations draws the faces on her figs be hand on the computer and it looks real good. mini/smile

I did think it might be easier to do the mouth animation via the software, but the thing is I've already bought the heads and I want to put them to some good use before I try my hand at that, then I can see the differences in lip syncing methods.

Is your mouth animation test for your story of scout production? Once you've finished it, please send me a link I'll be intrigued to see the results.

It's a test to see if I want to do it in other films, and The story of Scout. So yes.
And I will send you one. I filmed it yesterday and I also started the mouth animation too.

Re: First time manual lip sync

I made the test Legobytes, I used only my video editor, HitFilm express and nothing else. It was pretty easy so I think I'll be doing mouth animation for films to come. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qqEta … LX_8SCAZze And your head test didn't look too bad, but it seems like a lot of work.

Re: First time manual lip sync

2x4 studios wrote:

I made the test Legobytes, I used only my video editor, HitFilm express and nothing else. It was pretty easy so I think I'll be doing mouth animation for films to come. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qqEta … LX_8SCAZze And your head test didn't look too bad, but it seems like a lot of work.

Just watched your test, cool little minifigure mini/sunnies

Re: First time manual lip sync

I made another test now. https://drive.google.com/open?id=11fvTW … LjI0La1_eq

Re: First time manual lip sync

Legobytes, your original test looks good to me. The mouth movements are fine. Now, it would be a lot stronger if he wasn't standing still. Getting some body gestures and personality into his character will really bring him to life.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/DtubeNowOnline2.png