Topic: BRAWL 2020 is OVER!

https://i.imgur.com/Z2815dg.png

BRAWL is over and is onto the judging. For now, check out all the entries!

The playlist of entries hosted on YouTube can be viewed here. Entries not on YouTube are linked below.

Accepted Entries:
Willie2123
ZG
Laughing Lego
Duffosaur
sesolrelos257
Henry_Dowel
Gentle Knight Animations
Robukka
Legobytes
Code Man
SkinnyZachFilms
Darren Wolin
Joshua Nelson
AwestruckPajamaPeople
Amari Studios
Valentin D. Brick
2x4Productions
StopMotionBbros
Castlerock15
AoW-Gamer
Brickbro
LandiiBrickfilms
AwesomePantsFilms
AngryCatBrickfilms
Redbrickstudio
Pinacarlito
GabyTales Studios
SwampStudios51
Knauser
PostFrameProductions
WillowTree
ShaneWoodsbrs
Spudson
Puskov
Fruitcake Fanatic
BrickAnimator724
William Osborne
Super_Squid
JuiceBoxStudios
HogTheComputer
Crested Screamer Studios
Infinity Prime Studios
Rapture187
Mustache Maniacs
chris@gbp
Bros with da Legos
Wyattron
Formal Lens
Smithy of Films
rioforce
Penta (not eligible for judging)
Chaizin
coolon23
BCStrike
Zippy Doo Dah
JO Co
joebor1777
OneDouglas
Aroben
twickabrick
Bricks & Pieces
Vogel Family
2x4 studios
Owen20043
GUATEMAX Animations
Buck Brothers Projects

Honorable Mentions:
dansstopmotion
BlockHead
TheBricks

--------

BRAWL 2020 has Begun!
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, is a contest in which you have ONE WEEK to write, build sets, voice, animate, edit, sound mix, and submit a brickfilm from scratch. Beginning right now, you have one week to do all of that. Any entries not received by June 27, 2020 7:00PM EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) will be disqualified. It’s tough to do, but that’s what makes it fun!

Theme & MOD Elements
The theme for BRAWL 2020 is Preservation. There’s a lot of ways you could take this theme: preserving something literally or figuratively! Get creative! Theme interpretation and story is a big part of the judging criteria, so don’t skimp out on putting thought into this part.

Mods:
The color MOD element is: a GREEN piece connected to or directly touching a BLUE piece. The letter MOD element is the letter 'H'.

All entries must clearly show the BRAWL 2020 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally. Several high-quality resolution versions of the BRAWL 2020 logo can be found here.

To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation (excluding 15 seconds, more info below). You do not need to use both mod elements. You can combine these mod elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present. You could choose to use just the color mod or just the letter mod, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the mod elements be visible in every shot, minus your 15-second leeway.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set. As long as the mod is intentional and recognizable.

• The letter mod element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

• All mod elements must be physically present in each shot of your entry (with the exception of 15 seconds). You cannot digitally insert the mod element after you have animated the shot.
    Minifig parts (for example a green torso attached to blue legs) can count as the color mod, but bricks connected to or touching baseplates do not.

• You do not need to include either mod element in the titles or credits.

• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and will count towards your fifteen second leeway (and will disqualify your entry if it pushes the run-time of shots without the mod element over 15 seconds). See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.

• For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

• The acceptable colors are (as designated on Bricklink):
        Neon Green (Bricklink color ID: 166)
        Medium Lime (Bricklink color ID: 76)
        Lime (Bricklink color ID: 34)
        Olive Green (Bricklink color ID: 155)
        Dark Green (Bricklink color ID: 80)
        Green (Bricklink color ID: 6)
        Bright Green (Bricklink color ID: 36)
        Medium Green (Bricklink color ID: 37)
        Light Green (Bricklink color ID: 38)
        Sand Green (Bricklink color ID: 48)
        Trans-Neon Green (Bricklink color ID: 16)
        Trans-Bright Green (Bricklink color ID: 108)
        Trans-Light Green (Bricklink color ID: 221)
        Trans-Light Bright Green (Bricklink color ID: 226)
        Trans-Green (Bricklink color ID: 20)
        Light Aqua (Bricklink color ID: 152)
        Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 63)
        Blue (Bricklink color ID: 7)
        Dark Azure (Bricklink color ID: 153)
        Medium Azure (Bricklink color ID: 156)
        Medium Blue (Bricklink color ID: 42)
        Maersk Blue (Bricklink color ID: 72)
        Bright Light Blue (Bricklink color ID: 105)
        Light Blue (Bricklink color ID: 62)
        Sky Blue (Bricklink color ID: 87)
        Sand Blue (Bricklink color ID: 55)
        Trans-Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 14)
        Trans-Medium Blue (Bricklink color ID: 74)
        Trans-Light Blue (Bricklink color ID: 15)
    Here is a link to the overall Bricklink Color Guide.

15-Second Leeway Rule:
We are continuing the 15-second leeway rule like last year. This means you are allowed to include up to 15 seconds of shots in your film that do NOT have mod elements present. The shot or shots without the mod elements do not have to be in order. The leeway rule allows you to not have to worry about placing a mod in difficult shots, or if you accidentally forget the mod in a shot. If you have any questions, please ask.

Feel free to contact myself (e-mail, PM, and the BiM Discord are the best way to reach me) or one of the judges with a frame to verify that the mod (letter or color) is recognizable and will not disqualify your entry. However, try to ask other users first and contact one of the judges as a last resort, as we may not may be able to respond immediately.

The Rules

• The entry must be entirely made and submitted in one week’s time. To prove this, one or both of the MOD elements must be present in every shot (with the exception of a maximum of 15 seconds) of your entry.

• Your entry must consist primarily of LEGO (or similar building-block toy) stop-motion animation. Live-action, CGI, hand-drawn, or other forms of film or animation may be used to supplement your entry, but stop-motion animation must be the primary focus.

• Your entry must consist of at least 30 seconds of stop-motion animation. There is no maximum time limit.

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• You must not make your entry public until the deadline has passed.
    The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else. You cannot create a version of your film that includes the mod element to send to the judges, and then publicly release a second version of your film that has the mod element removed.

• Use of copyrighted material (including music) is allowed, though discouraged. Use of copyrighted material will not affect the judging of your entry.

• Entries based off of previous copyrighted material (Star Wars, Marvel, Batman, etc.) are allowed, but discouraged. It could affect the judging of your film due to unoriginality.

• Because of the limited time frame and because this isn’t a music contest, you are allowed to use music created before the contest, either original music created beforehand or copyrighted music.

Submission   
Please send all entries to [email protected] before 7:00 PM EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) on June 27th, 2020, any entries sent after this time will be disqualified.

Write the subject of your email in this format:
BRAWL 2020 Entry, [Your Bricks in Motion username], “[Title of your film]”
For example: BRAWL 2020 Entry, Chris W., “Grace 2: Cecil’s Revenge”

Entries must be uploaded to one of these websites…
1. Unlisted YouTube video. To make your video unlisted, go to the video page and click the little blue icon next to the video title, then select UNLISTED from the drop-down menu.
2. Password-protected Vimeo video. To make your video password-protected, go to the video page and click Settings, then under the Privacy tab, choose "Only people with a password". Please remember to include the password in your email! If I cannot view your entry, I cannot accept it.

I will send a response email as soon as I see you have provided a working video link. I will send a follow-up email if I find a problem with your film (e.g. a missing MOD element). Please note, if you are sending in your film the last day of the contest, a verification that your video follows all the rules may not be sent before the deadline as I receive about 80% of the entries the last day. Please check your video to make sure it is compliant with all rules before you send it to me.

Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:

• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline, June 27th, 2020 7:00 PM EDT.
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest, June 29th, 2020 7:00 PM EDT

Judging & Prizes

The judges for BRAWL 2020 are:
Chris W.
DudeBrick
Pongowl
Squash
Penta

Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 4 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached. The top 3 films will eligible for the prize pool. Entries below 10th place will not be publicly ranked.

Prizes
Let’s look at the prizes! They are:

LEGO Avengers - Thanos Mech, LEGO Creator Sunset Track Racer, and a LEGO Creator Treehouse Treasures.

https://i.imgur.com/v4N0m7Q.png?1

First place gets first pick, second place gets second pick, and third place gets the prize that’s left.

If you have questions, please ask them here, or you can private message me. I’ll also be in the Bricks in Motion Discord a lot, so you can ask there too (in the #brickfilming-lego channel). The other judges will also be around to answer questions as well.

Feel free to post updates in this thread, make a BRAWL 2020 Production Thread, or share updates on social media with the hashtag #BRAWL2020!

Let’s get BRAWLing ladies and gents!

Last edited by Chris W. (June 30, 2020 (08:15am))

Re: BRAWL 2020 is OVER!

Yes.

WOO!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Nice

Good luck everyone!

Guess I can't participate.
I only take part in contests that are Preservative free mini/madhead

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Blandeer wrote:

Guess I can't participate.
I only take part in contests that are Preservative free mini/madhead

boo

Wooo! Good luck everyone mini/wink

Is it allowed to show a knife being stabbed into someone (No Gore) and taken out again, and then show the person dead on the ground, and it wouldn't show the stab directly, some of it would be a shadow, also, is the swear, hell allowed once or twice?

I move plastic in front of a camera for fun

Panoramic Studios wrote:

Is it allowed to show a knife being stabbed into someone (No Gore) and taken out again, and then show the person dead on the ground, and it wouldn't show the stab directly, some of it would be a shadow, also, is the swear, hell allowed once or twice?

Both are fine. If there’s concern, send the shot to me privately for approval.

YAY!!! mini/delirium mini/delirium mini/delirium

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Let's go, good luck to everyone in this competition

None

Let’s go! Good luck everyone!

this is so exciting, gl everyone!

Woo hoo! BRAWL is always so fun. I'm super busy this year, but I'm going to try my hardest to enter once again.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

BRAWL has been PRESERVED for yet another year...ugh why do I even try.

Spudson wrote:

BRAWL has been PRESERVED for yet another year

Yay!  We are no longer TRAPPED in previous contests.

I am very excited to participate, this will be my first year! Out of curiosity- am I allowed to share screen shots on social media as long as there is no video, or would that disqualify my entry?

I just finished a logo, so now I can get to work on BRAWL!!

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Legogiftotheworld wrote:

I am very excited to participate, this will be my first year! Out of curiosity- am I allowed to share screen shots on social media as long as there is no video, or would that disqualify my entry?

Feel free to share stills, behind-the-scenes photos, or even a quick clip from your entry. mini/smile