Topic: Lego Hidden Side - Technical Difficulties (Brickfilm Day 2020)

Directory Link

Lego Hidden Side - Technical Difficulties (Brickfilm Day 2020)

YouTube

Ghost hunters Jack and Parker encounter paranormal activity near Newbury's finest seafood establishment ... only to realize that their tech isn't exactly up to the challenge.

Made for Brickfilm Day 2020.

Re: Lego Hidden Side - Technical Difficulties (Brickfilm Day 2020)

What a fun film! Even from the very first teaser frame you shared, I knew this would be great.
The opening shot's oppressive, swamp-like feel is perfect, with that atmosphere carrying over into the whole short.
The CGI ghost, while totally clashing with the real Lego movements, actually benefited from that dissonance. The different movements cave it an otherworldly feel that is perfect for ghosts.

The continual technical difficulties were hilarious, relatable, and filled with all kinds of entertaining details on the error screens. Great storytelling here! The atmosphere and lighting are all top-notch, and the entire film acts as a wonderful advertisement for those "hidden side" sets. The voice acting and all the audio was great.

As for nit-picks, the camera change at 0:23 is big enough to be noticed, but small enough to feel off. While I'm sure you're aware of the 180 rule, a really quick cut away to a totally different angle would have disguised that change.  The "smear" effects, while animated very well, seemed a bit inconsistent. some movements have them, others didn't, and at 2:02 it looked like the smear went the wrong way once or twice.  Also, the "flip-phone" looks nothing like a flip phone. Great joke, though!

It's a great film, and I'm glad you shared it here!

This was my most anticipated film of Brickfilm Day 2020 and it was quite good.  It had some great comedy and created a great spooky atmosphere.

This is a good lesson in modern day phone technique

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.