Topic: Help diagnosing issue

Hey! I'm doing some tests as I get back into animation and after watching this back I'm noticing some unwanted motion of the plate and I'm wondering if that may be the plate not being secured quite enough? Any thoughts / feedback is appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF1VzMv4YcA

Re: Help diagnosing issue

While it does look like the plate is moving, I also see some distinctive camera bumps.
Is that play-doh holding the plate down? Try something a bit more solid and sticky. (Blu-Tac, for example)
Make sure both the camera and the baseplate are secured well and that should fix you up.

Are you using a webcam or a DSLR? If a webcam, it'll be easy enough to build a stand for it out of Lego, then attach that stand to the studs on the baseplate. That does a great job securing the camera.

Re: Help diagnosing issue

Pritchard Studios wrote:

While it does look like the plate is moving, I also see some distinctive camera bumps.
Is that play-doh holding the plate down? Try something a bit more solid and sticky. (Blu-Tac, for example)
Make sure both the camera and the baseplate are secured well and that should fix you up.

Are you using a webcam or a DSLR? If a webcam, it'll be easy enough to build a stand for it out of Lego, then attach that stand to the studs on the baseplate. That does a great job securing the camera.

Thanks for the reply! I'm using sticky tack to hold the set down, though maybe just not enough per corner? I'm using a dslr with a tripod but on carpet so it seems that any change in weight on the ground on the tripod seems to move it.

Any recommendations on a sturdy (or sturdier, at least) tripod? I'm currently using a Sunpak Ultra6000PG, but I'm not fond of the ball-joint head on it and think I'd prefer something with gears instead.