Topic: BRAWL 2019

https://bricksinmotion.com/images/contests/BRAWL/BRAWL2019Logo.png

It’s BRAWL season again, baby!

What is BRAWL?
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL is a contest in which you have exactly one week to write, animate, edit, and submit a brickfilm. You can watch a quick overview video of the contest HERE.

Last year was a huge success, and hopefully this year will be even bigger and better!

When Does BRAWL Start?
The contest will start June 23rd, 2019 (00:00) BST (British Standard Time), and will end June 30th, 2019 (00:00) BST (British Standard Time). You will have exactly one week to finish and submit a film. Any entries not received by the end of one week time period will be disqualified.

A thread titled "BRAWL 2019 Starts NOW!" will be posted in the Contest & Festivals forum. The thread will contain the theme, MOD elements, and submission information.

The Rules

• The entry must be entirely made and submitted in one week’s time. To prove this, one or both of the MOD elements must be present in every shot (with the exception of fifteen seconds, more information about that below) of your entry.

• Your entry must consist primarily of LEGO (or similar building-block toy) stop-motion animation. Live-action, CGI, hand-drawn, or other forms of film or animation may be used to supplement your entry, but stop-motion animation must be the primary focus.

• Your entry must consist of at least 30 seconds of stop-motion animation. There is no maximum time limit.

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• You must not make your entry public until the deadline has passed.
    The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else. You cannot create a version of your film that includes the mod element to send to the judges, and then publicly release a second version of your film that has the mod element removed.

• Use of copyrighted material (including music) is allowed. Use of copyrighted material will not affect the judging of your entry.

• Entries based off of previous copyrighted material (Star Wars, Marvel, Batman, etc.) are allowed, but discouraged. It could affect the judging of your film due to unoriginality.

• Because of the limited time frame and because this isn’t a music contest, you are allowed to use music created before the contest, either original music created beforehand or copyrighted music.

• Entries must clearly show the BRAWL 2019 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. High quality versions of the logo will be posted by the start of the contest. The logo may be inserted digitally.

Theme & MOD Elements
To ensure the BRAWL 2019 entries were made within the week-long time frame, the theme and mod elements (both color and letter mods) will be announced at the very start of the contest. The first mod element is a color mod. This will be a combination of two random brick colors connected together or touching (for example, a white brick connected to a grey brick). The second mod element is a letter mod. This could be any of the 26 letters of the modern English alphabet. You may use the uppercase or lowercase version of the letter, but the letter must be recognizable as that letter. Feel free to contact myself (e-mail, PM, and the BiM Discord are the best way to reach me) or one of the judges with a frame to verify that the mod (letter or color) is recognizable and will not disqualify your entry. However, try to ask other users first and contact one of the judges as a last resort, as we may not may be able to respond immediately.

IMPORTANT:
Like the Twenty-Four Hour Animation Contest (THAC), BRAWL is also implementing the 15-second leeway for the mod element! As described by WillowTree “you do not have to include ANY mod element for a maximum of 15 seconds of animation. When you have reached 15 seconds, you must then include the mod element in every shot. The 15 seconds can appear anywhere in your film and do not have to be in order. This will allow you to film shots where the mod element is difficult to incorporate. Additionally, we do not want to disqualify an entry for accidentally forgetting the mod element in a few shots.”

All of these rules apply to BRAWL. If you have any questions, please ask.

To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation (excluding the 15 seconds as stated above). You do not need to use both mod elements. You can combine these mod elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present. You could choose to use just the color mod or just the letter mod, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the mod elements be visible in every shot, minus your 15-second leeway.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set. As long as the mod is intentional and recognizable.
    The letter mod element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

• All mod elements must be physically present in each shot of your entry. You cannot digitally insert the mod element after you have animated the shot.
    Minifig parts (for example a red torso attached to grey legs) can count as the color mod, but bricks connected to or touching baseplates do not.

• You do not need to include either mod element in the titles or credits.

• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and will count towards your 15-second leeway. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.

• For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

Judging & Prizes

The judges for BRAWL 2019 are:
Chris W.
Sonjira
KG
SuitedNinjaNerd

Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 4 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached. The top 3 films will eligible for the prize pool. Entries below 10th place will not be publicly ranked.

Prizes
Just like last year, we have a LEGO prize pool! They are:

LEGO Creator Deep Sea Creatures

https://i.imgur.com/ZurKrWx.jpg?1

LEGO Creator Shuttle Transporter

https://i.imgur.com/BIwCknr.jpg?1

And a LEGO Creator Sunshine Surfer Van

https://i.imgur.com/9ABOMn4.jpg?1

First place gets first pick, second place gets second pick, and third place gets the prize that’s left.

Additionally, all of the first three entrants will receive a Bricks in Motion sticker, courtesy of rioforce! They’re currently sold out, so these are pretty dang valuable if you ask me!

Changes for 2019
The only major change is the 15-second leeway, and the details are further up in the post.

Spread The Word!
Use #BRAWL2019 on social media to get the hype train rolling!

Get Connected!
The BiM Discord is always open, and feel free to talk to others in the #brickfilming-lego topic. I’ll be hanging out there for a good amount of the week if you ever need to shoot me a question (and I’ll try my best to answer in a timely manner)! Join the voice call, post frames, ask questions, find voice actors, and have fun!

See you then!

Last edited by Chris W. (May 25, 2019 (11:45am))

Re: BRAWL 2019

NOICE! Can't wait for this. It's been a while since I've attempted a BRAWL, and that week lines up perfectly for me. mini/bigsmile

Edit: Unfortunately, some things have come up that make that exact week not-doable for me. If it was literally the week before or week after, I'd be fine... *sigh*

Double Edit: Looks like I just might have a chance, now! mini/bigsmile

Last edited by Dyland (June 21, 2019 (07:02pm))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Oh yes, very nice.

May The Force Be With You!

Let’s do this!

Aw yessssss I'm excited!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Exciting times in the world right now, exciting times mini/bigsmile

Yes! I can't wait! mini/bigsmile

woo!! this will be my first brawl, I'm so excited.

Awesome. I'd heard of BRAWL before but I never really knew quite what it was.

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."
-G.K. Chesterton

It's not summer without BRAWL–looking forward to it!

Super hyped for this!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yJFeycRK2DB4c/giphy.gif

BRAWL is always a good time and I'm hyped.  Can't wait to see what will come of it.

I also really like the changes to the mod element rules; it'll allow for a lot more creative flexibility.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

i hope i'm able to join, i'm working on a pretty frikin long project right now. time will tell mini/bigsmile

It's pretty great that this lines up with about the time my exams finish, but before I go away on holiday. Excited to enter my first BRAWL

Does anybody know where i can get printed backdrops!!!!!!  mini/wink

cracksplatpop studios

cracksplatpop wrote:

This book comes with a few.   If you have your own images you want to use you can check local camera and office supply stores to see if they do large printouts.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

cracksplatpop wrote:

You want to find a place that does LARGE FORMAT PRINTING.
Usually sign shops fall under this category. If they can print on poster paper and give it a matte laminate, you will be set.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Thanks, i'll try that.   mini/wink

cracksplatpop studios

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:
cracksplatpop wrote:

This book comes with a few.   If you have your own images you want to use you can check local camera and office supply stores to see if they do large printouts.

Oh yeah, I forget I still had that book. Thanks so much! mini/bigsmile

With God All Things Are Possible ~Matthew 19:26

Good Luck everyone! mini/delirium