Topic: 2nd stop motion. (Thoughts?)

hi im a beginner and this is my 2nd ever stop motion. I tried doing ease-in and ease-out.
By the way, I know that I did not take enough pictures because I'm quite impatient (lol i shouldn't be doing stop motion), but I'd still like to know your thoughts.
https://youtu.be/cdBn7AcFKP8

Re: 2nd stop motion. (Thoughts?)

Glad you asked. You seem to have the ease thing going pretty well. It looks really smooth.

Too smooth.

Now that you've mastered the smoothness of easing, it's time to break the rules that were meant to be broken.
Sometimes..... you don't ease.

Try the following test. Animate two takes, in the first one, have a character set a sword/hammer/etc. gently onto the table. You can do this by easing into the final pose. Now animate the scene with a character slamming the sword/hammer/etc. onto the table. Assume it doesn't break the table. Since it is in full motion and hits the table suddenly, it won't ease into the table. It might even bounce up a little after hitting the table.
Some actions are graceful and require more easing.
Some are rigid and require sudden stops.

Next look into anticipation and follow thru.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

I disagree with thistof here when he says it's too smooth. It 's not all too smooth. What he's saying is that some thing which require impact shouldn't be eased out, but the whole movie isn't a punch or a person hitting a table.

So here's some tips I think you can use. Check out the 12 Principles of Animation and watch them and study them. (Not all of them apply to stop-motion but those are pretty obvious so don't study those). I'd say pacing is an important one especially. Sometimes you just need to not have any action. Sometimes you need more action. It's all about pacing and making things look realistic.

Next off, tie down your set and camera. It moved a lot in the video. The camera and set should NEVER move unless you're intentionally making it move. So try to keep it still.

Finally, I noticed that some motions paused to allow other things to move. For example, at around 6 seconds in, the guy moving his hand up stops moving when the crocodile guy moves. Keep an eye on motions and make sure they're completed and don't pause unnaturally. Remember, you can animate more than one thing in a frame at a time (even though it can be hard!).

Anyway, good job for your second animation! I think you'll improve quickly.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I disagree with thistof here when he says it's too smooth. It 's not all too smooth. What he's saying is that some thing which require impact shouldn't be eased out, but the whole movie isn't a punch or a person hitting a table.

So here's some tips I think you can use. Check out the 12 Principles of Animation and watch them and study them. (Not all of them apply to stop-motion but those are pretty obvious so don't study those). I'd say pacing is an important one especially. Sometimes you just need to not have any action. Sometimes you need more action. It's all about pacing and making things look realistic.

Next off, tie down your set and camera. It moved a lot in the video. The camera and set should NEVER move unless you're intentionally making it move. So try to keep it still.

Finally, I noticed that some motions paused to allow other things to move. For example, at around 6 seconds in, the guy moving his hand up stops moving when the crocodile guy moves. Keep an eye on motions and make sure they're completed and don't pause unnaturally. Remember, you can animate more than one thing in a frame at a time (even though it can be hard!).

Anyway, good job for your second animation! I think you'll improve quickly.

Thanks for the tips. At around 10 seconds into the video, the wall moved and that was because I didn't have any more plates at my disposal to hold it down. The camera movements were intentional though. Thanks a lot for explaining what thistof said about anticipation and follow through, it's really helpful.

itsMelon wrote:

The camera movements were intentional though.

I think rio was talking about the camera bumps in places like 0:03, 0:10 and from 0:15-18. But it was good to see you use camera movements, as it's a rare occurrence to see it in people's first few brickfilms. As rio said, this great for your second animation! Keep practicing!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Thanks for clarifying Rio, perhaps I should have been more specific and said that it's all very even. The timing and ease on each move is very similar.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

It's not too bad for a second attempt, I like the use of camera angles and easing in and out for the talking scene, all I can say is try to get better lighting in the films because right now it's going through some ugly light flicker, I'd suggest using desk lamps, it's what I use.

One other thing is to make sure that the audience can't see the background of your house in the shot, it makes it really hard to sell that the animation is real.

All in all your on the right path, keep it up and keep on bricking

Nickonomic wrote:

It's not too bad for a second attempt, I like the use of camera angles and easing in and out for the talking scene, all I can say is try to get better lighting in the films because right now it's going through some ugly light flicker, I'd suggest using desk lamps, it's what I use.

One other thing is to make sure that the audience can't see the background of your house in the shot, it makes it really hard to sell that the animation is real.

All in all your on the right path, keep it up and keep on bricking

Well I am using desk lamps and looking back at it, I don't really see any light flicker. Sometimes there are reflections of my hand but that's pretty much it.
As for the background, I was just testing this new software I got and didn't really mind my house in the background.

itsMelon wrote:

hi im a beginner and this is my 2nd ever stop motion. I tried doing ease-in and ease-out.
By the way, I know that I did not take enough pictures because I'm quite impatient (lol i shouldn't be doing stop motion), but I'd still like to know your thoughts.
https://youtu.be/cdBn7AcFKP8

Did you say its your second time animating because it looks great:D

lightbulbs will be fully illegal and replaced by LEDs in the U.S.A some day