Topic: [THAC XV] The Exquisite Corpse

Directory Link

[THAC XV] The Exquisite Corpse

YouTube

This is a joint entry into THAC XV between myself, Lucas, and RealBrick. Instead of the traditional co-production, we went with something a bit different. We tried with an approach called "The Exquisite Corpse," traditionally an art style in which multiple artists draw separate parts of a picture to form a cohesive (or often, not cohesive) whole. Each of us was in charge of one act, and other than the premise and unique tone/style of each act, we had little to no communication or knowledge of what was in the other acts. It was challenging, creative, and overall, fun. Hope you enjoy.

Re: [THAC XV] The Exquisite Corpse

That was a very masterful piece with a lot of talent put into one film.

Fantastic work

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Good collaboration. I liked the shift in tone come the second act. music there added so much. Overall it was almost too macabre and I didn’t get the ending.

Definitely the strongest entry of this year's THAC crop. Each piece was cohesive enough to add to a greater whole, yet different enough from each other to really take advantage of the unique collaborative method you guys chose to base this upon.

I also loved how the idea of the "exquisite corpse" was both the foundational basis of how the film was created while also playing into the themes of the film. The fact that you were able to actually convey a complete IDEA with heft and significance in a film made in under a day is no small feat.

Spoiler (click to read)

The idea of latching onto something long gone, hoping that it will return to us the same as it ever was, and the realization that despite our hopes our lives can never be the same as they once were - as simple as before - is some really serious stuff, and I think the visual storytelling helped convey this sense of loss and ambling loneliness very well. It's difficult to craft a story of regret and emptiness using plastic brick people, but you all convened in expert fashion. For the fact that you all didn't really know what each other was DOING detail-wise throughout the production, yet were able to produce a work as cohesive and in-sync with itself, shows that you all are really strong collaborators.

I could go on and on: I thought the mood and tonal transitions were quite appropriate and well handled, and of course the cinematography was great throughout. But regardless you all did an amazing job, this film stands out as a great piece beyond the qualifier of "made in under 24 hours".

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I regret watching this while eating lunch. How did you decide on the subject matter?

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Nice work! You guys all did great with your respective acts. It's awesome to see a successful collaboration done in such a tight time frame. I have to ask: is there a significance to the mirrored shots near the end? Or is it just a practical concern (I'm guessing involving the 180-degree rule)?

thistof wrote:

I regret watching this while eating lunch. How did you decide on the subject matter?

Talking and joking around in BiM discord voice chat for hours. mini/lol
(though it was mainly Real Brick's idea)

twickabrick wrote:

Nice work! You guys all did great with your respective acts. It's awesome to see a successful collaboration done in such a tight time frame. I have to ask: is there a significance to the mirrored shots near the end? Or is it just a practical concern (I'm guessing involving the 180-degree rule)?

If you want a horrible excuse a pretentious person would say was the reason: His life is about to be flipped around, away from clinging on to the past (the woman also has green pants and a white shirt while he has the opposite)

If you want the actual reason: The two shots of them looking at each other were filmed several hours apart and when time was really starting to run out and the 180-degree rule indeed became an issue I didn't have time to notice until it was too late to re-animate.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Robukka wrote:

Good collaboration. I liked the shift in tone come the second act. music there added so much. Overall it was almost too macabre and I didn’t get the ending.

We were intentional (well, more specifically RealBrick), in letting the subject matter be unsettling rather than the execution (with maybe the exception of that one squish sound effect mini/wink ).

And for the ending, there is a specific meaning and purpose behind it, at least from our/mostly Lucas’s end. We don’t really want to explain it as the filmmakers, as I’ve heard multiple ways of interpreting it, especially with the other acts informing it.

@Sonjira

https://image.ibb.co/gKup2R/B3_DC52_C1_469_C_413_F_8_E55_1_AB0_F681_C20_C.jpg

END films wrote:
thistof wrote:

Talking and joking around in BiM discord voice chat for hours. mini/lol
(though it was mainly Real Brick's idea)

RealBrick was the one who introduced Lucas and I to the concept of “an exquisite corpse” art style, and we actually had a whole different idea other than this one, but it just didn’t work as well as we had hoped. At one point, one of us was like “What if we do a LITERAL exquisite corpse?” and it just snowballed from there. We didn’t just randomly go “What if we do a film about necrophilia?”

I loved watching this, great work! Does anyone else want the bad guys to get away with it? mini/lol

This is definitely my personal favorite entry.  It was weird but very well-made and that weirdness made it feel unique.  The whole exquisite corpse sounds like an interesting way to make a brickfilm.  I may try that sometime.

The weirdness you're talking about was one of the primary reasons we chose an exquisite corpse format. When people create an exquisite corpse, they bring all their stylistic quirks and leanings to the table, quirks they may not have known they had. When all put together, you have a complete piece, but it still retains those quirks, and then some. Sometimes you have unfired chekhov's guns, or secondary characters who appear and disappear. This type of collaboration has never been tried in a brickfilm format, which is part of why we chose to do it, it was an unlikely alliance to do so.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png