Topic: Lego WWI Battle of the Somme Production Log

I am making my own story of the Battle of the Somme from WWI (by far my most favourite battle from then) for a coursework for school, with a fresh side of cameos as usual mini/sunnies  I am going to be using a clay base and twigs for trees, so most of the Lego present in the brickfilm will be minifgures and parts which take place inside. mini/smile

This is going to be a (hopefully) active log of my process in making this brickfilm, as it will likely take 3-4 weeks. A summarised version of this log will appear as a BTS on my channel after the actual animation is posted. The next post should appear very soon with an update on the storyboard and set designs.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Lego WWI Battle of the Somme Production Log

Storyboard done! I can now reveal a rough storyline so that you guys can share your opinions!

1. Starts off in an office in a bunker where a pilot has just come in with his flight report for the general.
2. After finding out that the Germans are aware of the movements of the British, the British postpone their attack by a week.
3. Scene switches to the trenches. Troops are lined up and are ready to go over the top. With 30 seconds left, they fix bayonets, and then charge
4. Complete bloodbath, people getting mowed down by German machine guns left and right, troops are pinned down in craters, grenades are flying everywhere etc.
5. Communications made for tank support, but due to the inevitable delays, tanks never make it in time.
6. British are mining below no man's land, in the hope of blowing a hole in the surface and setting up a makeshift camp (A.K.A a huge crater) for struggling troops to settle down in while they are suppressed by machine gun fire.
7. Eventually, a British sniper takes out the German artillery. This allows the British to move into the trenches.
8. Lots of trench fighting, with a couple of twists at the end, which I am keeping as a surprise mini/wink

I will be back once I have built the main setting!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Sorry for not being very active lately, but I was away from home for over a week so I couldn't work anymore on it, but progress has been resumed. So far the only change that I have made is the reduction of the amount of craters and trees on the set, but other than that this should be finished in 3-4 weeks. I hope to be able to release a trailer in the next 1-2 weeks.

See you all soon!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Are you still working on this? Just wanted to know because it looks pretty interesting! mini/wink

STOPandMOTION wrote:

Are you still working on this? Just wanted to know because it looks pretty interesting! mini/wink

Indeed I am, I actually kind of forgot I made this production log! mini/lol I have a bunch of stuff I can share, so after I've finished with my Ninjago Rebrick entry I'll start working on it again and post some of what I have done here. I think I'm probably about 15% done with animating (it will be roughly 5mins in length) and so soon I will be starting to film all the stuff that takes place on No Man's Land, so I'm really excited mini/bigsmile

Glad you like the idea of it, I was starting to think it might not be a lot of people's cup of tea, but thanks for taking an interest! mini/bigsmile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Here are some BTS pictures along with actual frames to give you a feeling for this film. Casting Call is still open!

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/IMG_0009.jpg

British soldiers going across No Man's Land

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0011.jpg

This was a little tricky for me to pull off, but I think it looks okay in the end

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0013.jpg

This goes to show that you don't always need a lot of bricks... mini/wink

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0014.jpg

...because this this is what the final image looks like.

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0015.jpg

One of the final shots in No Man's Land

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0016.jpg

And this is what it looks like

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0017.jpg

As you can see none of the mini figures are actually standing on anything...

http://bricksafe.com/files/DragonBrickStudios/bim/ww1-brickfilm/IMG_0018.jpg

But no one will know mini/wink

P.S. Sorry if any of these images are bad quality, they weren't all taken with the same phone. Also the photos that I took of my laptop screen were not screenshots because I can't get in to Bricksafe on the laptop, which is what I use to upload the images. I'll try and fix this for my next Production Log.

Last edited by Dragon Brick Studios (August 1, 2017 (02:40pm))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

This looks absolutely amazing!!!! I absolutely cannot wait to see this and I am sure your gonna pull it off perfectly, what with the amazing scene buildings and stop motion skills

"Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness"
"The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away"~ Pablo Picasso
"If you believe it you can achieve it"

Thanks! Yeah, the set is what took me the longest to do, with being one whole thing. Of course, this does make it hard to do some of the angles that I would like, meaning I have had to go with simpler shots, unfortunately. I must say that I am very pleased with the beginning scene as well as a few of the scenes half way through, however unfortunately there were a few things that I'm still not happy with (one example would be a 13 second scene that I needed to redo as part of my reshoot, and while there is a fair bit of set bump there is now way that I am redoing that scene a 4th time mini/eek

Hopefully you will still enjoy it though mini/wink

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Oh don't worry I'm sure your a wee but hard on yourself mini/lol I know what you mean about camera bumps they are soooooo annoying! That lighting and video effects on after effects have been what be been working on recently. It's time consuming but I can now do bullets explosions, rain, snow, color correction etc and I'm really looking forward to start a bug project of my own soon. It would be amazing if you could do a behind the scenes at some point just showing the set etc in more detail

"The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away"~ Pablo Picasso

Haha don't worry I've already got a couple of video clips, for that, although I have a bad habit of forgetting to get some BTS footage so it may be a bit more of a slideshow than most BTS videos mini/lol

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Well as they say a slideshows better than nothing.... who am I kidding no one says that mini/lol

By the way, how have you found After Effects? I have Hitfilm 4 Express (which is free), which is what I'll be using for the editing for this and my future films, and I was curious to know whether AE has been easy to use or whether it is quite confusing. I know I've tried using an outdated version before and my brain melted because everything felt so complex, but that was a long time ago so I'm not sure what it's like now.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

After effects is really complex I've been learning for about five months now. I've actually run out of stuff to edit and practice on so I have to do some mor. If you ever need anything done whether that's an intro or something ask as I'll happily help

And if you ever get it I can be some sort of tech support

I used hitfilm for a while, I would say after effects is better but it's hard to get your head around, although onc you got it it's absolutely fantastic!

Yeah, I can imagine mini/smile I'm hoping that any VFX that I need to do I will be able to do with Hitfilm (to be honest it is probably inevitable that I will eventually get AE mini/tongue) but if I'm really struggling to get something done then I'll let you know mini/wink

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I would say that you should honestly be fine with hitfilm, but that if you have the time and resources after effects is really useful to learn and get your head around, for your stopmotion I believe that as long as you don't go over ambitious you should be good with hitfilm

I have finally finished animating! mini/bigsmile

Now to do the rest of the editing mini/confused

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Nice! I can't wait to see the finished product.. mini/delirium

I noticed that you sprinkled the set with water - how does that effect the clay you used - does it make it sticky and how good is the surface for animating?