Re: Heron Animation - My free stop-motion capture software and web app

Thanks for the kind words!

Feel free to make that tutorial, Brick Block Animations! I'd be glad, that could really help people. (I regularly receive emails about using Heron on Linux.)

To keep you up to date: The development lately has been relatively slow, but I have more time to take care of that now. I'm currently rewriting the entire program to have a good base for the saving and loading system, as well as correcting some playback and export problems.
Latest addition: In the next update, you'll be able to change the shortcuts:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/269909873658036224/315848663215767552/unknown.png

Helium frog has finally lived up to it's reputations and gone crash-prone. mini/tongue  I started trying to use this, looks good but I wish it could do 1080. I know Pritchard mentioned this a while ago but I'm using the c920 witch can stream 1080p video at 30 fps and can use usb 2 or 3 so it's not the cam causing it. Beyond that, it's quite nice. mini/smile

Hum, that's weird, good to know, thanks!

I changed the way I connect to the webcam in the new version, I hope problems will be solved.
I should really get my hands on a good webcam for testing purposes, though.

Just hit another issue(s). I have yet to be able to export a video format and on my second shot exporting frames, it stops the "preparation" bar at 88% and only exported 58 of the 66 frames.
This might be related but the 60th frame got doubled visually but the duplicate was not selectable on the timeline nor did it seem to show on the preview. Also, unlike duplicating a frame it has the same number.
Soon after while short playing a few times the play button permanently became a pause button for the session.
Also I feel that this should do what other free software often does, save frames to a folder when you take them so if there is a crash or bug you still have your frames and don't just have to leave the program open scratching your head.

Last edited by END films (June 30, 2017 (12:00am))

Yeah, it get stuck sometimes when duplicating or moving frames.

Saving frames to a folder is actually one of the main reasons I decided to remake the program from scratch, it's gonna definitely be in the next update, as well as a save-and-load system and some project management.

Aiwha wrote:

Saving frames to a folder is actually one of the main reasons I decided to remake the program from scratch, it's gonna definitely be in the next update, as well as a save-and-load system and some project management.

Sounds great. Guess I'll Just use the logitech software to finish out brawl. I look forward to the update because aside form the export issues this is my favorite free animation software so far. mini/smile

Aiwha wrote:

Sorry for the double post but it's something else I found an hour later. What you say about moving appears to be true, moving the bugged frame gave it it's own number but also it stopped exporting at 84%/54 frames which is where I started moving thing to fix things.
Also I was able to save my shot's life by deleting all the frames the first export did. mini/smile

I had the same glitch with 84%.

is there a way to import photos into this software?  or is it just live view through webcam?

joebert10 wrote:

is there a way to import photos into this software?  or is it just live view through webcam?

Not yet, but there will probably be in the next version.

I cannot export my video.  I just recorded an almost 300 frame long video and went to save it as an avi, but after it finished processing, the render bar didn't progress at all.  Please help!  I want this software because I thought I wouldn't have to put each picture one after another in a different editing software.  This could do that all for you.  If you have any ideas please let me know!  Thanks!

Don't close the program!
Save as pictures. That's the only way I can get it to render as well. You can always string those together later in any number of programs, and it may even be slightly higher quality in the long run. Heron doesn't like exporting as avi for me, and it seems to be a common issue.

In your editing program, import as image sequence, then, if you want, render just that into a video file and then use that to work as usual.

I have already saved the pictures, but really wanted it to just make a video file to save time.  I have tried all the other formats and none of them save except for the frames one.
Aiwha do you have plans to fix this?  its a great software but it needs to be able to save as video too.

Good call saving the pictures first. Sadly the video export doesn't work for everybody (What OS are you using?).
I work on the software when I have time, a fixing all this problems is definitely planned, but I can't say how long it will take.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

I use Sierra.  I will be using a different software that exports video for now, but plz plz plz post when you fix this.  Otherwise, awesome software, really impresive!

Aiwha wrote:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Not at all, thank you for sharing this with us!

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

mini/smile Hi, I just recently got a c920 and Heron animation... but it hasn't worked since I got heron..
This video explains my issue better
https://youtu.be/4TPz2GY3KAw

Hi @Jesse#1281 does your C920 works fine in other programs (Skype, etc.)?
Does your webcam works on this page : https://amw.github.io/jpeg_camera/demo/?
Have you tried disconnecting the webcam, closing Heron, connecting the webcam and launching Heron again?

Yes I have tried that and nothing happened....

Have you all your drivers for the webcam installed and up to date?