Re: Heron Animation - My free stop-motion capture software and web app

Yes, I did move and delete frames before the glitch. I don't think I've ever had it happen in the desktop
version. I'll use that from now on until it possibly occurs again.

I downloaded it and it is awesome. I highly recommend it! great job! mini/bigsmile

For what ever reason the heron animation software closed on its own. Is this a glitch?

STOPandMOTION wrote:

I downloaded it and it is awesome. I highly recommend it! great job! mini/bigsmile

Thanks !

Weasel Animations wrote:

For what ever reason the heron animation software closed on its own. Is this a glitch?

That's a previously unheard of problem. Thanks reporting it!

Your welcome!

Every now and then, Heron refuses to preview for some reason. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it happens when I'm deleting unwanted frames.

Other minor bugs include: A negative symbol appearing next to the frame number as I'm deleting, and frames being streched across the screen as I take them (although it doesn't affect the rate at which the frame is played).

Yes, there is sometimes playback and export problems that can occur after some frame manipulations. This is very problematic and is my priority. (Although I can't work a lot on Heron these days.)
Thanks for the other bug reports.
Do you have more informations about the frame-stretch one? Is there some particular conditions when this occur?

The playback glitch occurred on the 32 bit windows download twice.
Both times I was moving frames.
Also, when i was trying to export a film, it was stuck at 75%. No matter what export option I used.
I didn't record a video of it, but if it happens again I will.

Last edited by Alaberria (March 31, 2017 (10:43am))

Wow... This is amazing... Seriously, I made this account just so I could post this. I've been searching for a good free stopmotion program for two days, and finally found this. Its perfect for what I need! Its multi-platform, supports HD, and its permanently on a 100% off sale! I can't thank you enough, this is great!

I can't wait to see whats in store for the future of this program mini/bigsmile

Two more suggestions, one is making is Open-Source. This would be great because it means people with coding experience could work on it whenever you're not able to. Another thing is mp3/wav support, this is probably imo the most 'needed' feature.

I'm guessing you mean being able to put audio in for reference for dialogue and the sorts? If so I totally agree.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

Thanks you Noah.

It is planned, although the top priority now is implementing a save-and-load system.
I'm actually rewriting the program to have a cleaner, more structured code, which will facilitate the projects management, and a lot easier to work with in case of open-sourcing.
Sadly I don't have much time to work on it a lot currently. But I'm hopeful.

sweeeeet mini/bigsmile

Hello. So I just had a quick question about running Heron on Ubuntu Linux. I am not exactly sure how to install it. I have tried downloading and extracting the software from your website and it doesn't seem to work. I am sorry if this has already been addressed. I could not find a tutorial on how to install the program on Linux at the time of writing this. I am also very new to the operating system so I don't exactly know how to use the terminal well yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. mini/smile

My profile picture is deep fried lol

That I know of ( I may be wrong) you can only download it for Windows and Mac.

Brick Block, have you tried Linux Stopmotion?

http://linuxstopmotion.org/

It doesn't do live view from DSLRs, but works wonderfully with webcams. I've had great results with it, and it has onion skinning, live loop playback, can save your projects and allows you to export to video or extract your frames. What distro are you running? Check your package repo for Stopmotion.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thanks so much for the help thistof! I had actually not heard of Linux Stopmotion. I guess that shows how well I know my distros's repositories. mini/lol I will definitely check it out though. Thanks again for the help. It looks like it may be just what i need. If I need any more help I'll PM you so not to spam this thread. mini/smile

Hi, sorry, there is currently no instructions attached with the Linux download, but you should be able to launch the program using the following command in the program's folder :

./Heron\ Animation

If it doesn't work, you might want to try this first :

chmod +x Heron\ Animation

Please, let me know if it works. (Should work at least with Ubuntu 16.04)

I'll make this easier in the next update, this is due to my relatively poor knowledge of Linux.

Thanks so much Aiwha! I am determined to try Heron for Linux! I have used it before on other operating systems and it's great. I will let you know if this works. mini/smile

EDIT: Thanks so much! It actually worked! I really appreciate your help Aiwha. It's nice to get help directly from the developer which isn't exactly possible with larger paid stop motion software. I was actually wondering if you'd mind if I made a tutorial on how to install and open the program. Would you mind? I just think it would be incredibly helpful to those who want to use the program on Linux. At least the Ubuntu flavour anyway.

Last edited by Brick Block Animations (May 21, 2017 (08:32am))

Brick Block Animations wrote:

I really appreciate your help Aiwha. It's nice to get help directly from the developer which isn't exactly possible with larger paid stop motion software.

True, thank you Aiwha.

Brick Block Animations wrote:

I was actually wondering if you'd mind if I made a tutorial on how to install and open the program. Would you mind? I just think it would be incredibly helpful to those who want to use the program on Linux. At least the Ubuntu flavour anyway.

Brick Block, I would love to see that tutorial, Heron was one of the programs I too had trouble getting to work.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png