Topic: City Of Heroes

Directory Link

City Of Heroes

YouTube

All he wanted was to be a hero.

Re: City Of Heroes

Your special effects were pretty decently done some of the time (although I would have preferred if more of it was done in camera) and your editing kept the film going at a decent pace. I like your use of grey scale as always, and prefer it to your use of color which I think could be better corrected/balanced.

However I felt that your end result was a little hard to follow, and even at the end with some backtracking I can't say I can really tell what you were going for here. This film was pretty technically sound, with some nice lighting at times as well so I suppose your next step is to improve your stories from a narrative standpoint. Keep it up.

LiamG wrote:

Your special effects were pretty decently done some of the time (although I would have preferred if more of it was done in camera) and your editing kept the film going at a decent pace. I like your use of grey scale as always, and prefer it to your use of color which I think could be better corrected/balanced.

However I felt that your end result was a little hard to follow, and even at the end with some backtracking I can't say I can really tell what you were going for here. This film was pretty technically sound, with some nice lighting at times as well so I suppose your next step is to improve your stories from a narrative standpoint. Keep it up.

Thanks for the comment! In an effort to try and get better, what specific effects and points in the film stood out to you that could have been improved?

I'm just going to do a casual writeup and put my thoughts in a list format, chronologically as I skim through the film:

• The overhead shot from the beginning is obvious CG, and I would have preferred something less erratic more subtle and in camera

• If you're set on that, sometimes the studs were obvious 2D and it didn't look very pleasing

• Also, the CG flames would have looked better if they were brick flames done in camera

• Try and find non-Incompetech music, I've heard this track many times, even multiple times in your own films

• This is where the story starts feeling flawed. I can't really critique the story just because I don't know what it's intent was in the first place, which is a bad sign. I'd recommend studying basic plot charts and watching a lot of movies, and trying to learn from them. Even after watching this film twice I can't really tell you the basic plot, the characters, what their motivations are etc., which is something you handled better in your shorter films, so I suppose the big jump in time is what caused this issue.

• I like this background music in the bar, is this from BandCamp? I can swear I heard it before.

• Good use of shadows and black and white as always, and pretty good animation as well, but there are some minifig bumps.

• I'm fine with off color jokes, I mean I love people like Louis CK and their humor but this just doesn't fit in the rest of the film, feels kind of thrown in.

• And here we get to the color. Not a fan of your color balance, the LEGO yellow looks odd. Try messing with your camera white balance or do it in post if you have to. This is why I preferred your use of black and white, as the colors here give off a bit of an unprofessional look.

• Dance sequence is well done, but yet again, doesn't fit in this film.

• The eye fx and donut fx looks good, but the traffic light could have easily been done in camera.

• And yet again, here is another sequence that is certainly unfolding in front of my eyes but I don't know why it is happening. I don't have any stakes in what is going on because you've lost me.

• More special effects I consider unnecessary, this background with real plants right in front of LEGO ones, doesn't fit.

• I like some of the lighting in this sequence, could have been improved of course but still I quite like it.

• The Spongebob "3 Hours Later" joke reminds me of that "I'm Batman" joke from before. Another pop culture reference, I don't think this is the kind of humor you should aim for. Do something original, create the setup and the punchline all within YOUR film, not from some exterior source.

• I don't understand the ending but at this point, that can be expected.

I'd focus less on dazzling set-pieces and FX and more on telling a coherent narrative. There is an art to doing things in camera, and I think that is what you should aim for. I mean have you heard about Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant? No matter how you feel about the plots for all three, I've consistently heard buzz about "Oh, did you hear about all of those practical effects rather than CG they used in TFA or Fury Road?" or "How about how Lubezki used only natural light for The Revenant, so cool!" Even people in the industry feel this way, to the point where many cinematographers want a separate Academy Award category for VFX heavy films.

But even if you weren't impressed by the plots of those three films, at least what they did was use their minimalist VFX (well, minimalist by comparison) to tell a story that was entertaining and could be followed. I hope that makes sense, rant over, and I really hope you keep at it because you definitely show promise.