Re: Movie Nights With BricksinMotion

That's sounds like a good idea, Willow tree. I'd be really pleased to participate.

Greenshirt wrote:

I think the rotation is a neat idea, and I'm willing to participate.  In regards to movie suggestions, can we pick anything or are there any restrictions? 

I'm not at all against watching R rated movies, but do we need to let people know about the content when we post the movie, or let people look into that themselves.

You can pick any film you wish-there are no restrictions. If you want to include a content warning that's perfectly fine, but it's not necessary. I think it would be best to let people look into a movie's rating themselves and see if it's right for them.

I am liking this idea and I think we should definitely use that rotation you came up with. It's a nice variety of people equaling hopefully a nice variety of films.

EDIT: And yeah, I'd personally prefer if we threw any kind of restrictions out of the equation but I'm not exactly the kind of person to make a judgement on that.

Willow Tree wrote:

You can pick any film you wish-there are no restrictions. If you want to include a content warning that's perfectly fine, but it's not necessary. I think it would be best to let people look into a movie's rating themselves and see if it's right for them.

Sweet, I like this too as it increases the potential variety.

I'd be willing to participate in the rotation, as well! I sadly missed out on Secret of Kells, though I've been busy on a school project and a brickfilm, so yeaah.

But I'll totes be a rotation dude.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Oh, hold on. Are we watching Memento now?

Awesome, I'm glad everyone's on board! I'll wait just a little longer to see if anyone else responds before making the final rotation list.

And yes, we're watching Memento this week William.

I'd be interested in doing this. Also, here's my LetterboxD profile.

Alright, here's the rotation list:

week 1: twickabrick
week 2: Willow Tree
week 3: Lucas
week 4: Greenshirt
week 5: William Osborne
week 6: Sonjira
week 7: Chris W.

So, if it's okay with you Lucas, it's your pick on Sunday. If at anytime you guys aren't able to post a film, no worries at all. I'll try to have a backup in place. I want this to be laid back and fun for everyone. Also, the discussion for Memento will start tomorrow.

All rightie

This Week's Film:
Dial M For Murder
Directed By: Alfred Hitchcock
Year Released: 1954
Starring: Ray Milland & Grace Kelly

Schedule for this week's film:
January 31 - February 6: watch Dial M For Murder
February 7 - February 13: discuss the film and begin to watch the next film of choice

Last edited by Lucas (January 31, 2016 (08:59am))

I had already seen Memento, so I didn't watch it this week, but it is one of my favorite movies from Christopher Nolan.

Spoiler (click to read)

I really loved the mystery aspect to it.  You get so caught up with what you think the movie is really about, that when it switched on you, you get caught off guard.  I liked how this twist works within the context of the movie and doesn't unravel the whole thing.  The theme I took from it is that we like to control our reality and mold it into what we want it to be, sometimes ignoring the reality of our situation.  It's similar to Vertigo, but takes the idea in a different direction that I really liked.

It's a real shame that this movie is being remade, as it isn't even that old.  I really don't understand what they hope to accomplish with a remake, because I didn't even think this one became as wildly successful as most movies that are remade are.

I agree with Greenshirt, this is one of Christopher Nolen's best films.  Its structure is indigenous, and really lets you understand what it must be to have Leonard's condition.  My only real complaint would be that the story is basically just a kind of bland revenge story, but the structure and the great twists help keep it fresh. 
Favorite part: "Ok what am I doing?'
                     "Oh, I'm chasing this guy"
                     "No, he's chasing me"

Overall a solid 9/10 movie.

The Third Arrival is out now!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3749/33174196922_0638c7d7e7_n.jpg
--"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken!"

Mrlegoman, since you liked this one, I'd suggest Following* if you haven't seen it.  I think it was Nolan's first movie and is a noir mystery like Memento.

*Thanks, fixed it

Last edited by Greenshirt (January 31, 2016 (09:09pm))

It's actually just Following.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

"Have I told you about my condition?"

I agree with Greenshirt and mrlegoman. Memento is a great film. (I had seen it before but I wanted an excuse to watch it again). What Nolan was able to accomplish in this early film of his is quite impressive. And yeah, I'm pretty baffled as to why Hollywood is doing a remake. It's definitely not necessary.

Also, I'd like to watch Memento backwards sometime...

Indeed 'Memento' is one of Nolan's best. Everything fell neatly together somehow as it takes true talent to make an audience able to follow along. Let's also not forget that because its structure it's also very rewatchable.

Speaking of films that stand up as one of a director's best. 'Dial M For Murder' is right up there with Hitchcock's best work in my opinion. The tension is exceedingly high and the detail in the story is downright masterful. Like with 'Rope', quite a lot of it takes place in one location and it always amazes me just how many times he can succeed in setting an entire movie in one location like this and never lose the audience's attention. With 'Rope' however it's obvious it's in one location (in fact that entire movie is in one location) but with 'Dial M For Murder' you don't really notice it.

"Now... where was I?"

I didn't actually watch Memento last week (I've been crazy busy lately) but I did see it not too long ago, so I figured I might contribute a bit to the discussion, if that's all right.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.  I'd heard that a lot of people have trouble understanding the plot the first time around, but I found it prett easy to follow.  It feels slightly odd to see a film with such a (relatively) low-budget, independent, "rough-around-the-edges" feel to it from Christopher Nolan, considering what his later works are like, but it works really well here, in my opinion.  Some nice performances and, of course, the story, editing, and cinematography are all top-notch.  I especially like the way the colour and black-and-white segments are intercut, and how they "cross over" in the middle.  Despite us knowing the ultimate outcome at the very beginning, the plot still fits in numerous twists and surprises, which you will likely never see coming. 

In fact, the entire structure of the film complements the storyand overall neo-noir theme brilliantly.  We initially see the outcome of the tale (the death of Teddy), much as a witness at a crime scene would.  Like Leonard, we must trace the complex threads of the plot back to the origin, to find out what truly happened.  The ambiguous ending really helps tie together the film as a whole, I find.  There are also a bunch of subtle clues scattered throughout the film that hint at what really happened.

Spoiler (click to read)

For example, Leonard's suit, despite being fancy, actually fits him quite poorly--implying that it is in fact stolen, not his own suit, as we first assume.  It's a tiny detail, but really helps put the film together.

Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone could think that this would make a good remake.  Aside form the obvious, it is by its very nature an independent-like film, and having a big-budget Hollywood remake would completely ruin the feel of it.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.  Oh, I also signed up for this Letterboxd thing as well, so feel free to add me if you want to.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I really like Dial M for Murder, outside of it being Hitchcock's only 3D release, I don't see it mentioned that often.  I really liked the single set, although if someone criticized it for being "play like", I could understand where they were coming from.  The suspense is really great, as always with Hitchcock, and I was on the edge of my seat until the end. 

Spoiler (click to read)

I really liked the montage of voices and lights on Grace Kelle's face during her character's arrest and sentencing.

This week's film:
Hot Fuzz
Directed By: Edgar Wright
Year Released: 2007
Starring: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost

Schedule for this week's film
Febuary 7th-14th watch Hot Fuzz
Febuary 14th-21st discuss and watch next film

My brother and I watched the whole "Cornetto trilogy" over the weekend, and while I'm not sure Hot Fuzz is my favorite of the three, it's probably the one I enjoyed the most.

Spoiler (click to read)

The first hour-and-a-half are great, but I was feeling like it wasn't really as imaginative as Shaun of the Dead. Then at the last quarter it takes a turn for the completely insane, and I laughed for pretty much the whole rest of the film. When Nick Frost's character gets shot at the very, very end, I was kinda like, "Really?" I already felt like the film was over, and I really didn't want him to be dead (which is probably just a testament to the characters and the performances). But he wasn't actually dead, so I think they were really just throwing in another funny homage to action movies, which I'm fine with.

Whereas with Shaun of the Dead, I think there're probably a lot of references that I didn't get because I haven't seen many zombie films, this film explains its most important homages, so even though I haven't seen Point Break or Bad Boys II, the references were really funny. I dunno if that's better because then more people get the joke, or if it's worse because it wastes time explaining something that isn't essential to understanding the film. But the scenes where they explain it are really funny, anyways, and these films are part of one of the primary character arcs in the film, so I really don't think it matters at all.

Overall, I think this movie is fantastic, and while it's probably not the most consistent tone-wise, that's part of what makes it so funny.

Also, on a brickfilming-related note, going into this film I remembered that Nick Durron cited this film as inspiring the transitions in his THAC9 film Green Eye. So... that's cool.

By the way, what's the next film? According to the rotation, it's William Osborne's turn, but he never actually confirmed (or at least not in this thread).

Okay then.
This Week's Film:
Frequency
Directed By:
Gregory Hoblit
Year Released:
Starring
Dennis Quaid & Jim Caviezel
Schedule For This Week's Film
February 17th-24th watch Frequency
February 24th-March 1st discuss and watch next film