Topic: Movie Nights With BricksinMotion

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/15691471944_06f37b0fb9_o.png

Welcome, everyone to Movie Nights With Bricks in Motion!

Every week, starting on Sunday, a film will be selected to watch. Anyone who wishes to participate must watch the film by the following Saturday. Throughout the week following, a discussion about the previous week's film will take place. During the discussion week, we will then start the next film.

If possible, please format the film announcement post as follows:

This Week's Film:

Title
Directed By: director
Year Released: year
Starring: actors

Schedule for this week's film:

Sunday - Saturday (example: January 17 - January 23): watch the film

Sunday - Saturday (example: January 24 - January 30): discuss the film and begin watching the next one

All films are welcome, but it is encouraged that we choose from all genres, each week, so as to become familiar with all aspects of cinema. If you have already seen a particular film chosen, feel free to contribute to the discussion as well.

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK. Since the people who frequent this site's ages and their standards for what they're willing to watch/comfortable watching both vary a ton, the film of each week could be (almost) anything. The poster of the week's film is not responsible for whether or not you should watch it; you are (or if you're younger, your parents are). Don't feel compelled to watch a film just because it's the film of the week, and definitely don't go in blindly, thinking that since it was recommended on Bricks in Motion, it'll be totally family friendly. If you really wanna watch the week's film, but aren't sure about what it contains, there are websites for that.

Suggested viewing platforms:

• Netflix (instant streaming/mail orders)

• Amazon Instant Video

• Google Play

• Vudu

• Hulu

• Local Library

Everyone will be responsible finding a means to watch each week's film. It is encouraged that you do so legally.

This post will only be updated if new rules/guidelines need to be added. Each week's film announcement should be a new post in this thread.

Films Watched:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Secret of Kells

Last edited by Willow Tree (January 28, 2016 (01:56pm))

Re: Movie Nights With BricksinMotion

Cool. I'll participate.

This is a pretty cool idea. It's a good opportunity to introduce people to new films they wouldn't have seen otherwise. For future weeks, I'd recommend posting links to places to watch the film legally, i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc. It'll make it a little easier for people to participate.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Solid idea, Willow, I'm always up for any excuse to watch and talk movies.

For those with Netflix, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is streaming for free.

I have a suggestion. Maybe you could put what the film is rated (if it has a rating), then younger members or anyone with children are warned.

uh oh!

It may also be a better idea to discuss the film the week after watching it. e.g. we watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance this week, then discuss it next week, and also watch another movie. That way the thread isn't spoiler town for the weeks movie, and everyone who wants to participate actively in the discussion has had ample time to watch the film. I suppose it could work either way, but I think this way may work better for facilitating discussion.

@Sonjira  Good suggestion. I've updated the first post with some links.

@MindGame  Awesome, thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that it was on instant streaming.

@backyardlegos  I like that idea. Let's do that. I've update the first post, but just to reiterate, we will watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance this week and the discussion will take place next week on January, 25. We will also start watching the next film on January, 25 as well.

Awesome! I hope I can join in on this one. This should be stickied (although, I don't think it will fall or anything mini/tongue ).

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Lovely idea but I'd suggest another way of picking the next weeks film as different time zones will confuse people.

Time to start discussing!

I finally got around to watching The Man who Shot Liberty Valance yesterday, and then before I posted here I realized the time for discussing it is already over. Nobody has discussed it, though. Do you guys want to extend the discussion of this film for another week, or just pick another one? Whether we extend the discussion for another week or not, I guess I'll just say what I thought of the film:

I liked it. I had definitely seen at least some of it before, but I didn't remember that much about it other than the basic story. I haven't really watched many Westerns, but this one is interesting because it puts a lawyer in the strange situation of being in a place where - at least it seems this way - there really is no enforced law.

Lee Marvin as Liberty Valance is a good villain, but John Wayne's character is an even better (sorta) hero. Valance seems to be afraid of him, so that kinda lessens Valance's menacing-ness, because it always seems like Wayne's character could fight Valance and win whenever he wanted to. The scene where they face off, though, is really good.

Also, one thing that might be cool would be to provide some basic questions to help start the discussion, as it was kinda hard for me to think of things to say about the movie.

twickabrick wrote:

Do you guys want to extend the discussion of this film for another week, or just pick another one?

I think it would be best to pick a new film. Thanks for getting the disscussion goingt though, twickabrick.

twickabrick wrote:

Also, one thing that might be cool would be to provide some basic questions to help start the discussion, as it was kinda hard for me to think of things to say about the movie.

That's a great idea. If we would like to continue with this thread, we could develop guided questions for each week's movie.

In any case, I really enjoyed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Both Jimmy Steward and John Wayne put forth thrilling performances. John Ford's western universe is spectacular, and I feel as though he owns the western genre of cinema.

Well, I suppose it's time to choose a new film. twickabrick, would you like to pick this week's movie?

Someone else can pick the next movie if they want to; I don't really know what to pick.

Hey! I feel like I kinda inadvertently killed this thread back when it was starting, so I thought I'd try to bring it back, since the idea's great.

This Week's Film:

The Secret of Kells
Directed By: Tomm Moore and Nora Twomey
Year Released: 2009
Starring: Brendan Gleeson and Evan McGuire

I don't know how many people on this website haven't seen this film, as I remember people talking about it back when it came out, but I hoped that maybe at least some haven't so I wouldn't just be recommending something everybody's already seen. It's available to stream with a subscription to Netflix.

Schedule for this week's film:

January 17 - January 23: watch The Secret of Kells

January 24 - January 30: discuss the film and begin to watch the next film of choice

Also, one thing I feel like should be said about this whole thread going forward is:

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK. Since the people who frequent this site's ages and their standards for what they're willing to watch/comfortable watching both vary a ton, the film of each week could be (almost) anything. The poster of the week's film is not responsible for whether or not you should watch it; you are (or if you're younger, your parents are). Don't feel compelled to watch a film just because it's the film of the week, and definitely don't go in blindly, thinking that since it was recommended on Bricks in Motion, it'll be totally family friendly. If you really wanna watch the week's film, but aren't sure about what it contains, there are websites for that.

That’s not to say that you shouldn’t warn people if you’re posting the next week’s film; if you want to, go for it! It’s definitely helpful. For instance, The Secret of Kells contains:

Spoiler (click to read)

Nothing! Just kidding, but I doubt anybody here would mind what it does have. There's (surprisingly) a lot of implied violence, but there's hardly any that's actually shown. I think there's a tiny bit of blood in one scene.

While the ideas great may I suggest instead of actual movie films you went with brickfilms? Shorter and sweeter and more common to the younger members of this site, this of course is only a suggestion. Main reason being I know that some people can't afford Netflix or paid TV or may just not have the film or infact the film may just not be for them at all (E.g; they don't like the actor or the genre of the movie), while brickfilms are accessible for everyone and afterall it is a brickfilming community.

Just a thought, for you Willow mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Yeah, I agree with Divine.

I added it to my list and will watch it in the next couple of days.

I don't really agree with Divine. Yeah, it's a brickfilming community, but as a result we already see a lot of brickfilms anyway, so I think it'd be nice to expand some people's horizons to watch other films. Heck, it may even serve as some great inspiration for their future films.

Any yeah, some people might just not have Netflix...so...I guess that's a factual statement? When doing something like this, you have to just plan that yeah, some people might not have Netflix or whatever, and so they'll either just have to find the film another way or just not participate. There's already a large enough grouping on this site that already does have access to these services that this should still be able to go on fine.

...the film may just not be for them at all (E.g; they don't like the actor or the genre of the movie)

The same thing'll happen if you chose brickfilms. I know not all of the Brickfilms of the Week were to my liking, so I just accepted it and moved on with my life.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

...the film may just not be for them at all (E.g; they don't like the actor or the genre of the movie)

I feel like this is almost the point of something like this: to watch a movie that you normally wouldn't.

I think it's a great concept, and that it should stick with movies.
The idea to is expose us brickfilmers to a wider variety of films that we may not have seen/heard of before. We can draw ideas, techniques, and all sorts of other things from these films, making them of great benefit. This not only brings us together as a community, but gives us quite a bit to think on as filmmakers.

So I basically second everything Sonjira said.

And here's a thought, if one doesn't have access to Netflix (Which, honestly, is pretty rare these days) try the local library. The selection obviously varies depending on the city you're in, and the movie may already have a hold on it, but it's certainly worth a shot. These films are probably worth the small Netflix fee, and there's a lot of other stuff on there that certainly makes it worth the price. A video rental store would be more expensive, but may or may not have those films that Netflix doesn't. The same goes for Amazon Video and the Google Play store.