Re: The 2015 Personal Brickfilming Goals Challenge

Alright, we're halfway through the year, I think it's time to see where we're at with our goals!

My goals were:
Complete Appetite Lost by my birthday (June 16)
Make a brickfilm that features a female protagonist
Make a brickfilm that uses brick-built humanoid puppets, like David Pagano

Unfortunately, at this rate, I don't think I will complete any of them this year. I do expect to complete Appetite Lost this year, but it certainly won't be by my birthday. I still have half the film to animate, and then a long post-production process as I add in the facial animation.

Because of my delays in Appetite Lost, it's unlikely I will complete (or maybe even start) another brickfilm this year, so goals 2 and 3 are out. I still want to complete them, but they won't be this year.

So how is everyone else doing?

Welcome to Darkmoor is going slowly,  I'm way behind schedule, but I still think I might finish it in October.  I've really got to work at it, though.  I had previously accounted for some possible delays, so I can still get back on track.

tenny1028 wrote:
  • Get better at making music

• Reach forty subscribers at least

• Use more voices than mine in my brickfilms

I reached forty subs about a week ago. As of June 1st, I have 43 subscribers

SlothPaladin wrote:

My goals:

• Enter THAC (starting easy)

• Finish my new chicken project sometime between June and September

• Write a 10-15 page script and get pre-production done before the next year

Well  I did 'enter' THAC,  and even though I didn't finish the film for THAC I did finish it.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for me to finish my chicken film in the next four months but at my current rate I might not.

I also have an outline for.an episodic project that could turn into 25 pages but I feel like getting pre-prod done before the year is out is unlikely.

Nathan Wells wrote:

Technically speaking, the documentary should fulfill this one.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Here are my goals, and their progress:

Start a weekly brickfilm series (Sliders)

While I still plan on doing Sliders, (and re-starting the CinematiCritics), both of these projects were previously put on hiatus until August. In the case of Sliders, it will most certainly be put off until September (due to the BiM summer contest), however, the CinematiCritics should premier in July! mini/smile

Score over 30 brickfilms over the next year
        Counting Funmi's Hollow Earth 2 - I've currently worked on the scores for 8 brickfilms, not including my own! I'll have to work hard at completing this one, but am happy just to score films at all!

Finish my 5 years in the making Johnny Thunder brickfilm
        This project, obviously, has to be put on the shelf (temporarily) for the Bricks in Motion summer contest. I look forward to picking up the half-finished Johnny Thunder script after the contest ends, and will continue to script, build, and film before Christmas. I'd really love to complete a Johnny Thunder film before Christmas, and THAC.

And, last but not least:
Make one brickfilm that features an all star cast of brickfilmers (like Vandy, Smeagol, and Nathan Wells)
I would love to accomplish this in my "Darkness and Light" contest entry! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I have completed my goal of practising easing in and easing out, and to show this I should have a test montage uploaded in the next few weeks (exams and work are an overkill at the moment)
The crime-drama brickfilm I had written has not set foot off the ground yet, mainly due to pressures and struggles in life stopping work on this at all.
I had written another basic storyline for a First World War drama film, that should enter its next few stages when exams are over and when work eases down.

rioforce wrote:

My 2015 Brickfilming Goals

• Make a "feature-length" (10 mins  or so) brickfilm

• Perfect my animation (especially easing and pacing) and develop a unique style of animation

• Make films of different genres (like romance, tragedy, musical, pirates, etc.)

• I began working on this film. (See my production topic). I don't know if I will finish it this year. I'm putting it on hold until after the BiM summer contest.

• While I can't say I have "perfected" my animation, I do think I am developing a style, and have definitely improved animation since the start of this year!

• I have been doing this. All of my films this year so far have been different genres, and my contest entry will be also.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Let's see...

1) Get 2 episodes of Holding Our Own out in 1 calendar year.
2) Write scripts for episodes 7 and 8.
3) Organize the loose and stray unsorted bricks that I just have lying all over the place!!!!!  AAAH!!!

1) One episode is released (https://vimeo.com/holdingourown/hoo3), and the other is halfway animated.  AHEAD
2) I've written about 20% of episode 7 and outlined episode 8.  BEHIND
3) By mere coincidence, I actually plan to start this today.  ABOUT ON SCHEDULE

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Harborlight wrote:
  • 1. Finish the script and voice acting for my feature film

• 2. Keep perfecting my animation, lighting, and cinematography techniques.

• 3. Release at least one film a month.

1. Forget the feature film, I learned a lesson. Maybe after college...

2. That's still happening.

3. I have done this for every month of 2015.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

It's been three months since our last updates, so I guess it's time for a checkup! How are the goals going? Has anyone accomplished anything?

As for my goals:

rioforce wrote:

My 2015 Brickfilming Goals

• Make a "feature-length" (10 mins  or so) brickfilm

• Perfect my animation (especially easing and pacing) and develop a unique style of animation

• Make films of different genres (like romance, tragedy, musical, pirates, etc.)

• While I don't know if it will be 10 minutes, I do plan on finishing Princess Storm in December or January (even though, I haven't really started yet). I kept taking time off to make shorter films, and for D&L, and in that time, I improved the script an awful lot, so it's somewhat shorter, but it's better. I hope to pick back up progress on it next month.

• This really hasn't changed since my last update in June. I'm always practicing animation, and I'm learning new things every time I animate. However, I can't say that It's "perfect". I am always finding flaws, mostly with jitteryness, jerkyness, and easing. However, the more I practice, the better I will become, so maybe this will change by the end of the year.

• I have actually been doing this! Since most of my films have been shorter, and I haven't started on any large films yet, I have been able to make films of different genres. In each one of my films, I have tried a different genre

I look forward to see how everyone else is coming!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

My goals:

None of these are happening this year. Appetite Lost got delayed by the animation for the Bricks in Motion documentary. I still have half of the film to animate, and a ton of post-production work. So I'm aiming for a 2016 spring/summer release.

As for my other two goals, I have films planned for them, but they won't be happening until Appetite Lost and another Alex and Derrick film are made.

My Goals:
Improve my editing
Update and Improve my set up. (Mostly Lighting)
Make a fresh start to the year by taking all my ideas, listing them and develop the more plausible ones

Although I haven't done much to improve my editing, I have indeed improved my setup, mainly my lighting setup. 
I did list my ideas, but can't say that I'm certain of the projects I wish to develop and which ones to leave for later (or not do at all).

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Check Time:

Start a weekly brickfilm series (Sliders)
Both Sliders TAS and The CinematiCritics obviously aren't happening any time soon. At the earliest, CinematiCritics will start around Christmas, as, I still have to work out the episodes, and get guest reviewers on board.

Score over 30 brickfilms over the next year
I purposely put this goal high, as, I wanted to do as much as I can - not realistically thinking I'd actually reach a "30th Brickfilm" this year. However, my BiM profile shows 9 brickfilms, and I've done about 14 unreleased/unfinished or uncredited brickfilms on top of that. So, I think I'm at 23-ish. Not too bad! mini/smile

Finish my 5 years in the making Johnny Thunder brickfilm
Currently, I'm working on an Alpha Team brickfilm (which I've almost been working on for as long, anyway) so, once it's done, I can start on Johnny Thunder! And, while I doubt those will be done in just a month or two, I probably will release those before next spring! - Certainly above my expectations when originally coming up with my goals.

Make one brickfilm that features an all star cast of brickfilmers (like Vandy, Smeagol, and Nathan Wells)
Alpha Team, Johnny Thunder, and even a possible Scooby-Doo or Batman based short won't really cover this. I'm wanting to save this kind of brickfilm for something really special! I would like to do it this year, though, and may delay Adventurers for this project.

I might even collaborate with some other brickfilmers on the script, just to make the film more of a "group effort" sort of unique! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

The end of the year is fast approaching! Now is the time to check our goals for the last time!

For me, I can just copy/paste my previous post. mini/sad

Nathan Wells wrote:

My goals:
Make a brickfilm that features a female protagonist (the Bricks in Motion Documentary half-counts)

None of these are happening this year. Appetite Lost got delayed by the animation for the Bricks in Motion documentary. I still have half of the film to animate, and a ton of post-production work. So I'm aiming for a 2016 spring/summer release.

As for my other two goals, I have films planned for them, but they won't be happening until Appetite Lost and another Alex and Derrick film are made.

I would copy/paste my previous goals, but I don't think I ever actually wrote them down in this thread.

• Release Benny n' Lee in: Parallel Panic

• Release more than one Benny n' Lee films in one year

• Enter every contest on BiM in the year

I managed to enter every contest, at the expense of the Benny n' Lee goals. I think I'll try for the same three goals in 2016.

Here's my list.

Let's see...
1) Get 2 episodes of Holding Our Own out in 1 calendar year.

FAIL  I really had a lot of personal struggles this year that kept me from getting done episode 4. 

2) Write scripts for episodes 7 and 8.

FAIL.  There is acompleted  9, however.
3) Organize the loose and stray unsorted bricks that I just have lying all over the place!!!!!  AAAH!!!
PARTLY

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Alrighty then, let the embarressmemt flow like wine;

To finish at least one decent animation - I have done really only one animation this year which was the Easter 2015 entry which was a flop and a half. Since then, its bit wee bits and bobs of animation so that I don't 'forget' anything. Really though between school, work, live-action, socials and life its quite restraining to do basically anything atm, no joke.
Practice easing in and out more - any animation I've done, be it Lego, Mega-Bloks, Plasticine and Wire-armature animation, has all been practices using ease in and ease out.
To start production on a crime drama series me and a friend had written last year - again, not gonna happen!

I've cleaned a new slate, so that 2017 2016 will be a better year. I promise!

So it may look like I failed. I did. Kinda. Sort of. ish. Not completely. mini/bigsmile

In May I decided to start a really intensive project that I am currently still working on, and it's taken pretty much all my brickfilming attention the past 7-8 months. In that respect I did pass my goal of starting a big project (just not the one I originally referred to mini/tongue ).

Edit: Original goals for reference:

Me, 1 year ago wrote:

Start entering more animation challenges
This one I'm hopefully going to begin tomorrow with the current challenge.
Start working on a long film idea that I formed in the past year
Make an intro/outro that I also formed in the past year
Come out with at least two 4+ minute films - longer than my usual ones, but not super long
I know this is something that others have listed, but enter (and complete a film for) the 2015 BiM contest. I have tried entering two of these and failed, I would really like to see one through

Last edited by Mighty Wanderer (December 24, 2015 (04:57pm))