Topic: And Men Loved Darkness [D&L Entry]

Directory Link

And Men Loved Darkness

Youtube

A small piece of chaos has always existed, a rouge element that refused to be tamed, lying hidden in the labyrinth of the inner city streets. But when the strange burning light becomes more aggressive, Alex Temnota is tasked with stopping it at all costs.

But as the light's influence threatens to destroy everything his entire world, it becomes apparent that even the most extreme measures may not be enough.

Made for the BricksinMotion.com
"Darkness and Light"
Contest

Ranked 5th in the BricksinMotion.com "Darkness and Light" Contest
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/po … 5/#p352675

Ranked 3rd in Cine Brick 2016
https://cinebrick.wordpress.com/vencedoreswinners-2016/

Re: And Men Loved Darkness [D&L Entry]

I'm not a big noir fan but this film was very enjoyable. I thought the meteor was very clever and the use of black and white was very well done. Bits of monologue carried on too much for my tastes but that's a sun on the genre. Overall this was one of my favorite entries.

That was a masterpiece, Pritchard! The story is very nice, and translated extremely well from script to film. I enjoyed the noir feel of it, and Smeagol's voice just put the icing on the cake for me. While it was violent in some areas, I wasn't violence for the sake of violence like some films tend to do. I only wish there could have been something said by the lady at the end (sticking her head out of the door) instead of just a freeze-frame. Overall though, this was a monster of a film, and you conquered the monster with flying colors... rather, in black and white.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

This is very amazing, such a lovely allegory.

Besides the dialogue in one scene dragged on a bit, but regardless I found this very enjoyable.  The animation, lighting, and sets are all incredible.

Quite a film, keep it up man.

Last edited by Harborlight (September 1, 2015 (07:38pm))

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Wonderful. I love the message, and I've always been a fan of Black and white brickfilms. Excellent!

Thanks guys for all the nice words!

Aquamorph wrote:

I thought the meteor was very clever....sun on the genre

I know what you mean by the last phrase, but what's the meteor about? Did you mean to write something else?
Also, I don't think I've ever heard sun used in that context before...Interesting.

Rioforce wrote:

It wasn't violence for the sake of violence like some films tend to do. I only wish there could have been something said by the lady at the end (sticking her head out of the door) instead of just a freeze-frame.

Thanks! I know some of my films do get kinda violent, (Ax) but I don't think this film would have worked quite as well without that little bit. It enhances the message, and helps to illustrate the contrast between the groups of people. Glad you can appreciate it.

Yeah, as you know, I wrote that as a silent scene. But Lego faces can't convey the needed emotion like real faces, so a few words from Amy would have helped. But I was running out of time at that point, and didn't want to wait on the voice actress to get something to me. (I've had a really hard time getting actors to stay on a time schedule with this film...)

@Harborlight, That seems to be a common complaint. Which scene was it, so I know to avoid that in the future?
And it's wonderful to see folks liking the allegory. The message behind it is certainly the most important part of the film.

@Osborne, Thanks!

Pritchard Studios wrote:
Aquamorph wrote:

I thought the meteor was very clever....sun on the genre

I know what you mean by the last phrase, but what's the meteor about? Did you mean to write something else?
Also, I don't think I've ever heard sun used in that context before...Interesting.

What he means is he liked the use of the meteor brick for the lamp in the middle of the table in the conversation scene. He was referring to the lots of dialogue as the sun on the genre.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Pritchard Studios wrote:

@Harborlight, That seems to be a common complaint. Which scene was it, so I know to avoid that in the future?
And it's wonderful to see folks liking the allegory. The message behind it is certainly the most important part of the film.

It was the scene while Alex was talking to the woman in the room with the ball (or whatever it was) in the middle. I'm not against long scenes, but if you are to do one I would suggest making the characters move around and get classier angles.

I still have to say regardless of how long that one scene was I still really enjoyed it, and it didn't detract my enjoyment at all.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

This was awesome, I loved the allegory. It was very well written and thought out. the lighting was very nice to, and the sound design was also good.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Well done! Although it is only black and white, this film is still very visually appealing. I very much appreciated the allegory, too.

Great job!

Sorry about the late reply, been busy.
Thanks for the comments and clarifications!

I saw the meteor part used in Grace as a the top to a water fountain, and have been looking for creative ways to use that piece ever since. And yeah, I love that whole conversation, but it does seem to take up a lot of the running time now that I look at it.

@UnknownBrickfilms, Do you think that the black and white detracts from the film?
Sure, it's not in full eye-popping color, but for this kind of film, I think it works a lot better in monochrome.

I think this film looks great. Which, despite what I say about webcams being a good starter option, is no small feat on a webcam, particularly when you're dealing with black and white, and mostly low-key lighting. It can be hard to delineate shapes and keep things visually coherent within these limitations and I think you pulled it off well. It also never became boring to look at visually, or even to watch as a story, which I find impressive when we're talking about a dialog heavy movie featuring minifigs. You kept finding interesting ways to convey the story visually, without going into the realm of "oooh this would look cool" shots that distract from, rather than serve the story. Some of the sound design was really nice, too, like the hum of the lights in closeups. I think you were very inventive with the light sources and it helps create a sense of a unique world; "worldbuilding" is something I think is fun to do in a brickfilm context and I'd like to see more of it.

I liked the concept of the story, and most of its execution. I think the allegory, while fairly direct, was interesting because of how you expanded on it -- that people can't tolerate the light because they love darkness, rather than it being an easy and immediate salvation for everybody. I thought that was a fairly sophisticated approach to the idea and made it much more interesting than it would be otherwise.

I did feel that the ending went slightly too far into the overtly Christian religious story realm; not because I don't appreciate these things, it just took me out of the story because it felt like it wasn't this world you'd established anymore when it goes full Paul on the road to Damascus at the end. I'm not sure how, but I feel like it would have been better to keep the story completely within its own allegorical veil as it were, instead of having what felt like a Deus ex machina sort of device at the end of it. Because of what came before, it felt less to me like the story of Paul and more like if the Good Samaritan weren't sure if he should help and then Jesus descended from the sky and told him it's what he should do. It took me out of the "parable." I'm struggling to explain the difference here a little and why it doesn't work for me, hopefully that makes at least some sense.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png