Topic: BRAWL 2015: Ella's Tale

Directory Link

Ella's Tale

YouTube

Ella wanted to write a story.  The only problem was that she wasn't sure what it should be.

Re: BRAWL 2015: Ella's Tale

Lovely cinematography and nice animation. I really liked the way you lit the set. If there's a major criticism I have, it's that I think this would have worked better with narration that didn't have a phoney accent. (I'm guilty of the same thing in a lot of my early brickfilms!)

Spoiler (click to read)

As the story came to the conclusion of writing a story about not being able to come up with an idea for a story, I groaned a bit. But then it kind of redeemed itself by breaking out beyond that. I lol'd at the robot part.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thanks!  I'm actually pretty surprised because I spent very little time on lighting and camera.  I thought a lot of people weren't really going to like it in that respect.

Sméagol wrote:

If there's a major criticism I have, it's that I think this would have worked better with narration that didn't have a phoney accent. (I'm guilty of the same thing in a lot of my early brickfilms!)

Yeah, I didn't do a good job there.  mini/tongue  I was wanting to get someone else to narrate, but I couldn't think of anyone who might to it well enough off the top of my head.

I'm also really glad that you liked the ending,

Spoiler (click to read)

I added that in after writing the rest as something extra, and I wasn't sure about going through with it or if it would ruin the film, but I felt like it needed something besides such a silly joke.

The only thing you forgot: "Based on a true story." mini/wink

Awesome video as always, Squid. You hid those mod elements superbly. The ending was totally unexpected, which made it great.  Smooth animation as always, keep it up! mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

That is exactly what I struggle with when I script write.

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

Fun film, the ending really made if for me. For a minute I was worried you weren't going to hit your sillyness quotient. mini/tongue

Spoiler (click to read)

Ninja behind the shelf. mini/wink

This film is great! the animation was decent, as well as lighting and the others. The story was unique. I really cannot find anything wrong with this film.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Nice work!  The animation is great, and there's some really nice lighting and cinematography.  (I also liked how you used that minifig brain brick, and the LEGO Movie faces--I really need to get me some of those...).  The story feels quite reminiscent of The Stanley Parable, to me, especially the bit towards the end.  The ending is also great.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Nice film.

I am  wondering, what lighting setup did you use for the opening scene? I tried for a similar light effect in Power, but it didnt turn out too well.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

This was excellent, Squid. A really fun brickfilm, both visually and in its story; the nature of the set and its lighting meant every frame had something interesting to look at, as opposed to if she had been in a room with walls. That coupled with lots of visual gags...

Spoiler (click to read)

Like the brilliant bit where she searches her brain, eating the waffle horizontally, etc.

...and a bizarre but novel ending made this another excellent addition to what is overall a great filmography, Squid. I would be really proud if i made something even a third as good as this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I can't really add much to what's already been said, but I like the way you cut the opening titles to the clock ticking, and the way they appear one after the other, then disappear in backwards order. For some reason I didn't even really notice that the clock wasn't moving.

Spoiler (click to read)

This definitely falls into the "trying to come up with an idea" mini-genre that I always end up think about making a movie in, but I love how meta this one gets.

I like your storytelling style here. The choice of lighting and set design gives this a very theatrical feeling, which, coupled with the narration, works well together.

Spoiler (click to read)

I was worried for a second that this film was going to end on the now-tired "writer writes about their writer's block," but you managed to subvert that nicely, so kudos.

I loved how sudden the robot gag was, gave me a good laugh.

It's been long since i've last seen an animation of yours, and i have to say: you never cease to entertain me, pal. Animation, lighting, cinematography and story was spot on. I can't really note down anything wrong with it. Love your sillyness as well, especially the ending mini/lol Great job, Squid

Thanks, guys!

Kieren Barnett wrote:

I am  wondering, what lighting setup did you use for the opening scene? I tried for a similar light effect in Power, but it didnt turn out too well.

Well, over the set I have a relatively small lamp.  It's a little too sharp for my tastes. so there is a piece of wax paper wrapped around it to soften the light.  In addition, I wrapped a piece of black paper around the lamp to form a cylinder.  This prevents the light from spilling off too much and the edges of the room fade into shadow.

I also had a black sheet, as dark a black as could be found, wadded up at the edges of the grey board which prevents any light from coming anywhere past that.

I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to show.  I meant to take a picture of my setup, but in my rush, I neglected to do so.