Topic: BRAWL 2015: Retribution

Directory Link

Retribution (BRAWL 2015)

An opportunity to view this film, dear viewer.

Leonard Wilson is offered an opportunity by a mysterious man.

I'm not especially happy with how it turned out, but enjoy nonetheless, and let me know what you think!

Thanks to Sonjira, Brick7, Squid, and Jay for voice-acting.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 26, 2015 (07:56am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: BRAWL 2015: Retribution

This is wonderful!  You've done a very good job on so many points.  I love all of the out of focus glowing windows in the background all the time.  They really give the film a cool look.

Very nice change from traditional BRAWL entries, the lighting was excellent.

Spoiler (click to read)

In the last scene where Wilson is shot by Bishop, there is no flash of light or movement from Bishop's gun whatsoever. Although I understand this was done to keep us wondering who fired the shot, it was somewhat unrealistic.

This is excellent, Mr Vertigo! Retribution is one of my favorite, if not, my favorite BRAWL entry–without question. Right off the bat, the six-plus minute running time is quite impressive.

The cast members delivered splendid performances. They gave each character his or her own, unique personality.

Additionally, the lighting stands out as one of the strongest elements of the film. Whether it be the gritty grey lighting, the light coming through the stained glass window, or the red tint reflecting onto the minifigs, the lighting evokes the mood of the film. 

Spoiler (click to read)

I also love the music montage sequence and the brick-built blood splatter against the window is great.

Wow, that was one epic film. I loved it all. I always do enjoy a good mystery. It's all so mysterious, and kept me interested throughout the film. I really like the montage and the showdown. If you did this well for BRAWL, I cannot wait to see Seven Assassins.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm impressed! You achieved a solid script that kept me interested all the time. I want to highlight the good lighting and cinematography work. Also the music selected fits pretty well with the montage.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/28902888022_9f0ab167b0_m.jpg

First, I'm not usually one for blood, but I love that splatter against the window. Great idea and execution.
The use of a bigger scale suitcase was a clever solution, and resulted in a neat shot. In fact, you did an excellent job with lighting and sets all throughout the film. Visually, it's very much a treat to watch.

The music choice fit very well with the film, and the cast did a great job.
(Although it's strange to hear Sonjira in a serious role.)

The story is mysterious and very well written and filmed. It does make more sense the second time through, but even then, it's full of details that make the re-watch well worth it.

This had a really nice aesthetic and atmosphere to it. I like how you combined dramatic lighting with vibrant color; some of the film had a Nicolas Winding Refn vibe to it I thought. The stained glass lighting effect was especially neat.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

some of the film had a Nicolas Winding Refn vibe to it

I have to say now, the elevator death made me think of Drive.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

My sole complaint was that 6 minutes was a little too short to convey the story. I loved the animation, and the lighting, but occasionally a shot was too short to figure out what was going on. Bits like the opening of the suitcase, and the blood spatter on the window, and the music positioning all worked out great.

I was really taken aback by how atmospheric this film is. The lighting and cinematography are very impressive, some really excellent shot composition choices that help sell the mood of the story. I liked the ambiguity behind it, and it's for that reason the ending really worked well for me.

Spoiler (click to read)

The rampage montage, in particular, is a standout sequence. I echo Phil's comment about a Nicolas Winding Refn vibe in some parts. In particular, I loved the shot of the blood splattering against the window after the guy got shot.

Last edited by MindGame (July 26, 2015 (08:42pm))

This is a gorgeous film. Outstanding lighting and cinematography. Something I didn't even think about on the first viewing but only realised now: There was a crazy amount of sets and shots for a BRAWL film! I don't want to imagine having to go through all that setup so frequently. The choice of music also added to the film nicely. I think you will do well with this film.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!  I'm honoured that my entry has gotten the response it has.  I wasn't very pleased with the results (especially in terms of editing and sound design) so it's really nice to see that people like it.  I'm glad to see people like the cinematography and lighting, since those are areas I really focused on (hahaha) during production.  I feel like I've learned a lot about these things in the past year and it was really nice to be able to put them into practice.

LPGPictures wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

In the last scene where Wilson is shot by Bishop, there is no flash of light or movement from Bishop's gun whatsoever. Although I understand this was done to keep us wondering who fired the shot, it was somewhat unrealistic.

Spoiler (click to read)

I actually intended for the shot to happen just as the frame cuts from Wilson's gun to the wide shot, though I think my editing program messed it up slightly, hence the delay.  Also, none of the guns in this film have flares, though I did use a light for a few.

RealBrick wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

some of the film had a Nicolas Winding Refn vibe to it

I have to say now, the elevator death made me think of Drive.

Interesting that you mention it--I actually watched the first 40 or so minutes of Drive shortly before BRAWL, though I didn't get around to finishing it until tonight (the rest of my family got bored and wanted to watch some action movie.... mini/rolleyes ).  I do remember really liking the cinematography and overall style, so maybe that did influence it somewhat.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 28, 2015 (05:34pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I'm not sure I entirely understand the story (maybe that was intentional), but this is really cool. Every scene has interesting lighting and sets. The blood on the glass making a Y was really clever (that's what that was, right?). One of my favorite things is the way you showed the inside of the briefcase. I barely even noticed it the first time I watched it, and that's the sign of a great changing-scale shot.

Dude this a great film, I like the lighting a lot, and the interesting story! Keep up the good work, your a great brickfilmer to watch!

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.