Re: Summer Contest: Darkness & Light

Is it alright to make a production topic (or a trailer) on the film I am making for this? If not, it's fine, I just work better when I'm getting feedback on frames and stuff.

LegoStudiosP wrote:
Sméagol wrote:
LegoStudiosP wrote:

So... I am allowed to use a piece of Bach in the soundtrack, as it is creative commons?
On the other hand, does basing off an Asimov short story's main concepts mean I'm breaking that same contest rule?

If it's a direct adaptation of an Asimov story that would violate copyright, yes. Obliquely borrowing inspiration from somebody else's story, but not basing your story on it directly, would usually be okay.

Is this a 'yes' to the idea of taking a concept discovered in said asimov story?
I don't want to say out loud here what is exactly that I am thinking of. I mean of taking a fact that makes the story go and is present in an asimov story. Sorry for being confusing.

Obviously, I'm not a mod or am in any way affiliated with this contest, so I'm not sure if this is totally valid within the rules of this contest (feel free to correct me if it isn't) but I think this has enough overlap with creative work in general to allow me to offer an explanation.

I suppose this gets into the generally grey area of whether taking inspiration from something is copying it.  There's the old joke that "stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from multiple sources is research", but I think it does hold true.  An idea in of itself is not necessarily copyrighted, and there's the whole theory that every single story that exists is a variation on the same theme (hence everything is, whether intentionally or not, endlessly recycled).  This is really a discussion for different topic,  but either way it's essentially impossible to create something without any prior inspiration or things to work with.

Try to find what appeals to you in the story that inspires you and boil it down to its most basic concept, then take this core idea, and build your own story around it.  As long as you don't blatantly copy-paste the original story and draw too heavily from one source, and do bring your own unique perspective to the story you're trying to tell, you should be fine.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 2, 2015 (12:24pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I don't want to say out loud here what is exactly that I am thinking of. I mean of taking a fact that makes the story go and is present in an asimov story. Sorry for being confusing.

People aren't going to steal your story idea. Such paranoia is never needed. Be specific and explain your exact intent.

I have two questions:

1. The rules state that "If you use content that is not your own, you must be able to provide proof that you have received permission to include it in your film." What kind of evidence is required to validate our claim of having permission to use a piece of content?
2. Who should we submit that information to? Do we need to show our proof to all the judges, or to any particular judge?

LegoStudiosP wrote:

Is this a 'yes' to the idea of taking a concept discovered in said asimov story?

Let's say I like the idea of pre-crime from Philip K. D]ick's The Minority Report. I could make a story about stopping crime before it happens by seeing the future, and I probably wouldn't be violating the copyright. But I couldn't copy the exact specifics of how it works, the characters, etc. because at that point I'd be adapting the story, without permission.

Reeldangerstudios wrote:

1. The rules state that "If you use content that is not your own, you must be able to provide proof that you have received permission to include it in your film." What kind of evidence is required to validate our claim of having permission to use a piece of content?
2. Who should we submit that information to? Do we need to show our proof to all the judges, or to any particular judge?

This is generally a safety thing. If you're using copyrighted music, you should be able to show us that you have the permission of the copyright holder. If you are adapting a story written by somebody else, get their permission and be able to prove it to us by having them confirm for you if need be. In general, just don't break rules or violate copyrights, and credit people fairly, and these issues shouldn't come up. Nathan and I will be handling this sort of thing.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I don't know what happened, but my comment appears to have disappeared.

I have 3 questions:
1. How to we prove that we have permission to use someone else's content? What evidence is required?
2. Who do we present that evidence to? One of the judges, or all of the judges?
3. How do I enter the raffle? I set up my account, but I can't figure out how to enter.

Nathan Wells wrote:
LegoStudiosP wrote:

People aren't going to steal your story idea. Such paranoia is never needed. Be specific and explain your exact intent.

Very well. There is this Asimov story that came to my mind reading the contest in wich on planet where there is always day scientists discover that their six suns will get too far and dark is coming. I've just re-read the original story, and found out three things that are in common with my story : the centuries long day, the anarchy when night arrives, a sacred book that exists. But obviously I thought of going more in the philosophical than in the technical.

UPDATE
just to clarify. I solved the problem of story being based off an asimov short, I did quite a different story of it. only thing that is left now is the fact of having a multiple star planet and a night coming for the first time after centuries. Everything else is different.

Last edited by LegoStudiosP (June 3, 2015 (11:44am))

Excited, let the barnstorming, I mean brainstorming begin. Oh wait, that will be the name of my entry Barnstormin!!!! Maybe not.. Seriously though, time to storm some barns!

Reeldangerstudios wrote:

I don't know what happened, but my comment appears to have disappeared.

I have 3 questions:
1. How to we prove that we have permission to use someone else's content? What evidence is required?
2. Who do we present that evidence to? One of the judges, or all of the judges?
3. How do I enter the raffle? I set up my account, but I can't figure out how to enter.

Your comments haven't disappeared, and I answered them in the post above yours. Except the third question, which is new.

You enter the raffle by signing and completing any of the options listed on the page after you sign in. You can even increase your chances by tweeting daily about the contest until closing, if you so desire.

Is there any objection to making music videos, or are there any general guidelines for making music videos in this contest? I have a song in mind I would like to make a music video to, and I am in the process of obtaining permission to use it.

Reeldangerstudios wrote:

Is there any objection to making music videos, or are there any general guidelines for making music videos in this contest? I have a song in mind I would like to make a music video to, and I am in the process of obtaining permission to use it.

Story is important for this contest. If your music video tells a story, then that would work. You just need permission from the copyright owners to use their song.

Mosh5256 wrote:

Is it alright to make a production topic (or a trailer) on the film I am making for this? If not, it's fine, I just work better when I'm getting feedback on frames and stuff.

Overlooked this one earlier. Yeah that's fine. Encouraged, even. Just don't post the whole, finished film before the deadline.

It sounds like this is going to be a very interesting, and good luck to any of you who are entering. I myself may enter, but I have no time at the moment due to exams and possibilities of college.

For those of you who are entering and would need a composer for an original soundtrack, I would be more than happy to be that composer you are looking for. I plan on taking up film scoring in university and as a possible career, so if you need a soundtrack for your film; I will be able to do that for you.

Here's my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/gabriel-ness-music
and my latest composition (Thirty Year War): https://soundcloud.com/gabriel-ness-mus … y-year-war

If you are interested in my music and would like me as a composer for your film, just PM me on this site.

Last edited by megagill74 (June 3, 2015 (07:41am))

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

sorry, last question then I disappear and go actually working on it.
I was planning to use Bach, wich is in public domain, and record the music myself. Should I still give some proof of it being with no copyright issues? If yes, how? I send the music sheet saying 'public domain', and where? Very kind for answering my often annoying questions.

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I was planning to use Bach, wich is in public domain, and record the music myself. Should I still give some proof of it being with no copyright issues? If yes, how? I send the music sheet saying 'public domain', and where? Very kind for answering my often annoying questions.

If you record it yourself, then you don't need to worry any further, maybe include that information in the credits.

Sméagol wrote:
LegoStudiosP wrote:

If you record it yourself, then you don't need to worry any further, maybe include that information in the credits.

very well, thank you very much!

Is it tolerable for me to submit an appropriated (see: "nerfed") entry for judgement, then at the close of the contest, release in the directory the film as I desired it to be, whilst including a link to the entered version?

The rules state:

NathanWells wrote:

The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else.

So, no. The film you submit to the judges must be the film everyone else sees.

You are certainly free to release a "redux" or "director's cut" later, but the public must be able to see the contest version that the judges viewed.

Clarification for Nathan's answer: what we want to avoid is a bunch of botched, censored films being submitted to the contest. Don't ruin your films for the judge version just to get around the rules; that would really defeat the purpose. If you want to re-release with some additional content (including things that would have broken the rules), please wait until after the contest judging results have been released to do so. I've added this to the Q&A.

Are we required to use any mod elements such as are usually involved in BiM contests (letters, words, color combinations)?