Re: Summer Contest: Darkness & Light

Reading comprehension skills, sorry guys.

However, I'm kind of conflicted in entering this now. I have the idea, I have the script (basically) and I certainly have a burning ambition to obtain Dragonframe (for my school HSC major work). Yet some of the rules end up demanding a watered-down and worse film, so idk.

Regardless, thanks for hosting an otherwise awesome competition.

Last edited by Carousel (June 7, 2015 (05:01pm))

Ultimately, we want winning entries that won't earn us angry emails from parents, or concern from contest sponsors (present and future) if they win and are celebrated througout Bricksinmotion.com and our social media postings. It's the name of the game with a community that has a lot of children in it. I think it's still possible to make compelling, even dramatic stories within these limitations, but I don't deny that they're limitations. Potentially, one could approach them as creative limitations.

Top Hat wrote:

Are we required to use any mod elements such as are usually involved in BiM contests (letters, words, color combinations)?

No. The reason for those elements, which originated for THAC (and haven't been used in any other official BiM contests, to my knowledge) is to ensure you made it in a 24-hour time period.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

([Mod Elements] haven't been used in any other official BiM contests, to my knowledge)

You're forgetting BRAWL

tenny1028 wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

([Mod Elements] haven't been used in any other official BiM contests, to my knowledge)

You're forgetting BRAWL

BRAWL is not an official BiM contest. It is a long standing annual one, but it's run by members, not by staff.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Are we aloud to use lego themes that don't really have plots in our videos?  For example, M-tron, or Aquanauts?

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

I have a film that I was thinking of making that fits really well with this contest but I had already had like two story board/concept like pictures done is that ok?

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Undershadow Productions wrote:

Are we aloud to use lego themes that don't really have plots in our videos?  For example, M-tron, or Aquanauts?

You can use pieces from those sets, as long as you're not recreating recognizable specific characters or stories. It'd be best to avoid terms like "M-tron" and "Aquanauts"

osomstudios wrote:

I have a film that I was thinking of making that fits really well with this contest but I had already had like two story board/concept like pictures done is that ok?

Yeah that's fine.

I could probably maybe possibly somewhat most-likely might enter this.

After a couple of days thinking whether to participate... I'm definitely in!
The theme and the prices are fabulous. My story will be set in medieval times.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/28902888022_9f0ab167b0_m.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm actually shooting behind the scenes footage for the BrickFilm I'm working on right now! I'm in the scripting process. So far everything is going great! The estimated time for the film is about 10 minutes. Hopefully I'll finish it in time so my project won't collide with any contests. I'm looking forward to posting on BricksInMotion once it's finished!

Hey BrickToons, welcome to Bricks in Motion. Did you maybe mean to post that in the Darkness and Light Contest thread?

sillypenta wrote:

Hey BrickToons, welcome to Bricks in Motion. Did you maybe mean to post that in the Darkness and Light Contest thread?

I was just about to comment of that, SillyPenta, haha. I think it was intended to be there, yes.

Just saw this.  The theme is great and should hopefully help generate some really cinematic films where the use of light is important.  Even though I'm away from my studio for the next month perhaps when I get back I'll be able to put something together

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

I really love the theme of this contest, it allows peoples artistic streaks to shine forth. And hopefully, we can get a film finished and submitted before the deadline.

Now that finals (and school) are over, I have time to work on an entry!

I'm back with a new question about excessive gore and violence. A scene that involves a partly bloody fight (with limited digital blood) and medieval weapons, with a character being thrown off a higher structure, and a previous scene including a man being given a punch  are still acceptable? I mean, when you talk about excessive blood and gore, it's just that you don't want keshen8-like violence or carnage & coffee-like gore, or also mostly any kind of violence and gore? Violence in my movie is only 10-15% of the movie, but has some importance for the plot.

Hey guys mini/bigsmile
I'm super pumped for this contest! Although I'm still drawing a blank on the script... I just now realized that this contest started weeks ago LOL, I'm getting a pretty late start... I'm definitely sure it's gonna have something to do with cubicals mini/sunnies

Hello, I was wondering if you guys knew if there is anyway I can get a judge to do a voice in my film? I saw in the rules that it's allowed...I'm just not entirely sure how

Mod edit: No need to double-post. Just edit the first one.

To contact any potential voice actors, just send them a Personal Message by clicking the 'PM' under their name...

...Or you could hire a specialized team of bounty hunter ninjas to find them, stealthily drive them into the deepest corner of a dark alley, and then present your demands via trained messenger monkeys operating an infra-red smoke signal machine.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

...Or you could hire a specialized team of bounty hunter ninjas to find them, stealthily drive them into the deepest corner of a dark alley, and then present your demands via trained messenger monkeys operating an infra-red smoke signal machine.

Works every time.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png