Topic: Stoner Buds: Hangin' with the Mayor

Directory Link

Stoner Buds: Hangin' with the Mayor

YouTube

* WARNING * DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM *

THIS BRICKFILM CONTAINS PROFANITY, DEPICTS DRUG USE/ABUSE, AND PROMOTES A GENERAL LACK OF REGARD FOR SOCIETY.

AND WORSE... IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU MAKE A FILM ABOUT DRUGS. WHILE ON DRUGS.

(SERIOUSLY: NOT OUR BEST WORK)

Woodrow Village Films
youtube.com/woodrowvillage

Re: Stoner Buds: Hangin' with the Mayor

As ever, your animation is very smooth, and really something to be proud of, as are your sets. While the cinematography's nothing massively quirky or experimental, it does the job nicely.

While I don't find the content objectionable (though I do not condone the use of drugs, which has often made me an outsider at college) I'm not sure what to make of the story. I was waiting for some kind of joke or maybe a brickfilm acid trip (a really cooky, surreal trip brickfilming could be interesting) but nothing actually happened, and as the brickfilm went on, the attempts at humour just became sigh-worthy.

However, it's kind of refreshing in a weird sort of way that you do make such controversial brickfilms, so I've given you an extra brick for being a very welcome devil's advocate of sorts. I'm not a massive fan of your videos themselves, but I'm glad you're making attempts to break away from the perception that all brickfilms must exclusive cater to children because "it's Lego". That said, I think there's a lot you can do to be more clever in the way you go about it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Best film I've seen since Weed Cops.

jampot wrote:

As ever, your animation is very smooth, and really something to be proud of, as are your sets. While the cinematography's nothing massively quirky or experimental, it does the job nicely.

While I don't find the content objectionable (though I do not condone the use of drugs, which has often made me an outsider at college) I'm not sure what to make of the story. I was waiting for some kind of joke or maybe a brickfilm acid trip (a really cooky, surreal trip brickfilming could be interesting) but nothing actually happened, and as the brickfilm went on, the attempts at humour just became sigh-worthy.

However, it's kind of refreshing in a weird sort of way that you do make such controversial brickfilms, so I've given you an extra brick for being a very welcome devil's advocate of sorts. I'm not a massive fan of your videos themselves, but I'm glad you're making attempts to break away from the perception that all brickfilms must exclusive cater to children because "it's Lego". That said, I think there's a lot you can do to be more clever in the way you go about it.

Hey Jampot,

Thank you for the constructive criticism. I have to say I agree with your assessment... the story/writing just didn't work... the story was lacking, the jokes fell flat, and nothing really happened (as you said). Ugh. After spending who-knows-how-many hours (20-25+ ??) animating everything, and then more time editing the video, I went to record the voices and I kind of felt like--is this gonna be good? I continued--thinking maybe I was second guessing myself. Then I considered trying to rewrite it/tweak it/re-edit... but I was sick of it by then.

So... ultimately I followed through, thinking completing the process would be a learning experience and a better option than scraping it all together. I tried to focus on making it sound/look as good as possible and cut myself some slack--it is what it is.

I almost didn't share this one here--knowing it missed the mark. But whatever. And I'm sharing the backstory because I imagine a lot of us have experienced similar challenges. We all have strengths and weaknesses... writing is hard as h*ll for me and I know I won't always hit it out the park, but ultimately the process was fun and valuable. I love doing everything myself, but that's bound to expose my shortcomings! mini/confused 

Thanks again for taking the time! Your feedback is articulate/appreciated.

Last edited by Woodrow Village (April 11, 2015 (12:41am))

Woodrow Village Films

The story was just average.
Animation was good, it's pretty tough to have three different characters moving at the same time, and the head replacements were good. You did well with the drunk movements. There were times when you were concentrating on one character and forget the others, but that's forgivable because I have trouble focusing on two characters.
The voices were pretty good. I am guessing that the woman was voiced by a man, it sounded convincing.

Woodrow Village wrote:

Blah, blah, blah... After spending who-knows-how-many hours (20-25+ ??) animating everything, and then more time editing the video, I went to record the voices and I kind of felt like--is this gonna be good? Blah, blah, blah...

Although body gestures and talking were nice I suggest recording voices before animation. That way you have control over how much you need to animate. I fell for that mistake before, but we all learn from we do not-so-well. Again, it was done well and I wouldn't know that you recorded the voices after animating unless you told us.

Woodrow Village wrote:

h*ll

Don't worry about censoring, that word won't offend anyone.

I hope this film takes place in a weed-legal country.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

As jampot said, most of the jokes fell flat. The animation was nice and I really like how the twitches looked. Overall it's a pretty good film, but not as good as your other films.

I think if I had billed/framed this as "reality-TV" versus "comedy" it would have made more sense... I've hung out with my share of stoners and small-town mayors and know the jokes usually fall flat and the conversations go nowhere. mini/jaw

As for the comment about the woman voice being convincing... thank you for making my morning.  mini/bigsmile

Woodrow Village Films

Well, I thought it was funny, at least.

I can't tell if I liked it because the film's humor actually worked or just because it's so rare to see brickfilms about smoking and drinking, much less with such cheerful abandon as this, but something about it clicked for me. It's refreshing to see a brickfilming not afraid to have a sense of humor about this sort of stuff, so good on you.

I thought this was entertaining. Even if the gags didn't always work 100% of the time, but more than excusable given your ....er, condition while filming mini/tongue

You've certainly got a great grasp of the technical stuff, so props for that. I really liked the bong animation.

https://i.imgur.com/x8mil9Z.png

Well done bud.
We need more off the wall humor like this.
Loved it.