Topic: Kašpárek zachráncem (Jester the Savior)

Directory Link

Kašpárek zachráncem (Jester the Savior)

youtube

A king got suddenly ill, and his new adviser took charge of the kingdom. There is even a rumor he would like to marry the princess! Will the jester find out what is behind it all?
Includes music by Sergei Rachmaninoff.

Re: Kašpárek zachráncem (Jester the Savior)

Unfortunately, I can only speak English, so I wasn't really sure what was going on most of the time, however, I did watch it through.

I was rather impressed with the level of set design used here.  There are great many nice details such as the floor design and the stained-glass windows.  Unfortunately, though, the camera used doesn't quite give it the justice it deserved.  The lighting could also use some help.  It's rather harsh and orange in hue, which does ill to the colours used.  Perhaps try getting some bulbs of a more neutral hue and spend a bit of time colour correcting in post production.  I think it would go a long way to make your film look a whole lot better in the future.

Hi, props for checking and bothering to reply to a video with foreign title and no replies on p2!

Squid wrote:

Unfortunately, I can only speak English, so I wasn't really sure what was going on most of the time, however, I did watch it through.

I was not sure if to include the English subtitles or not. I decided not to, thinking that the story is not that difficult to grasp, beside with no subtitles provided the viewer is more likely to come up with his/her own interpretation, which is always welcome.

Squid wrote:

I was rather impressed with the level of set design used here.  There are great many nice details such as the floor design and the stained-glass windows.

The most of the set designs were adopted from what I had seen on Flickr. The original sources are credites in the video description.

Squid wrote:

Unfortunately, though, the camera used doesn't quite give it the justice it deserved.  The lighting could also use some help.  It's rather harsh and orange in hue, which does ill to the colours used.

I am familiar with your videos (or at least the last two), and your colors are top notch bright, so you are definitely an authority to comment on this.
I see your point, and yes maybe this should be addressed if I really wanted to make the video look professional. But that is not my goal, and in this case I really prefer this rather 'amateurish color' look. The video was primarily meant for the amusement of my family (with the 4 years old daughter helping making the video) and friends.

Squid wrote:

Perhaps try getting some bulbs of a more neutral hue

I am using the same lights/bulbs (IKEA JANSO LED worklamps) as Maxime Marion (auteur of Henri & Edmond) - I actually asked for his recommendation. So I do not think the bulbs should be the problem. It is more likely the camera (QuickCam Pro 9000) or non-existent post-production. Or what lights/bulbs are you using?

Squid wrote:

and spend a bit of time colour correcting in post production.

I haven't spent any time with that. I do not even have Photoshop. What I shoot goes straight to the final editing in MovieMaker. I do not want to introduce any more 'magic' into the formula.

Squid wrote:

I think it would go a long way to make your film look a whole lot better in the future.

'Look' is a subjective term/quality. The quality of the story is the most important thing. You can have a great-looking video, but if the good story is missing, the enjoyment is rather superficial. On the other hand, I believe a good story can often redeem the other maybe-lacking visual qualities of the video. I rather prefer to focus on finding/delivering a good story that goes well with the music using exciting set designs.

Last edited by ThaukaFilms (April 8, 2015 (02:22am))

I also have to second what Squid said in that I do not this native tongue, I'm assuming its Finnish?

However, the girls voice throughout the story was very comforting despite not understanding what she was saying. The cinematography was great, and the set designs were beautiful.

ThaukaFilms wrote:

The quality of the story is the most important thing. You can have a great-looking video, but if the good story is missing, the enjoyment is rather superficial. On the other hand, I believe a good story can often redeem the other maybe-lacking visual qualities of the video.

I do very much agree with you on this.

All in all good job, would love to get subtitles next time so I may read and understand the story.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Divine wrote:

I also have to second what Squid said in that I do not this native tongue, I'm assuming its Finnish?

it is Czech.

However, the girls voice throughout the story was very comforting despite not understanding what she was saying. The cinematography was great, and the set designs were beautiful.

Divine wrote:

All in all good job, would love to get subtitles next time so I may read and understand the story.

Thank you. I was recently reading a book about Werner Herzog, where he says how Henri Langlois would be screening films from around the world - in Bengali, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese -without subtitles at Cinematheque Francaise. It meant audiences had to cultivate a kind of intelligence and intensity of vision that has little to do with rational thought. That the viewers had to almost develop their own sense of illiteracy, tapping into an innate but usually long-dormant facility. I also read something along these lines (praising watching foreign language movies without subtitles) in Kurosawa's autobiography, so there must be something about it, and I agree with it.

Impressive design.  I was expecting Fabuland characters.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Impressive design.  I was expecting Fabuland characters.

Thank you very much. It is nice to see someone actually makes the association of the username with Fabuland - thank you. I switched to standard Lego minfigs this time because I originally planned to have some of the  figs walking around, and I cannot do a nice walking cycle with Fabuland figures due to their restricted leg movement range. I even both the Jester minifig specially for this video. Then the walking cycle got dropped, but since I already had the Jester, I kept him in.
But I am not giving up on Fabuland characters - what they lack in the leg movement department, they more then compensate by their head/neck position range.