Re: Your Top Ten?

10 is tough.  I'll try.  Not in order.

Contact - Carl Sagan is my homeboy.

Interstellar - Only because I have the same jacket as Matthew McConnaughey.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - Required viewing for any science fiction fan.  Actually this takes 2001's spot on my list.  Similar in scope and ambition, but better.

Catch-22 - All-star cast and, in my opinion, faithful telling of the story.  The scene with the old man in the brothel is one of my top movie scenes ever.

The Return of The King - Theoden rallying Rohan for the charge gets me every time.  EVERY.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Monumentally important to nerd pop culture in my day.  I've seen it dozens of times.

Miller's Crossing - What's the rumpus?

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Gorgeous.

World's Greatest Dad - I think this movie captures the very truest essence of what being a writer means.

The Matrix - After the sequels and so many movies with similar style, it doesn't stand out like it used to.  When this was in the theater, though, it was mind-altering.

Very hard to order:

Memento
The Magnificent Seven
Mulholland Drive
Vertigo/Psycho
Star Wars: A New Hope
Alien
Fellowship of the Ring
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Dark Knight

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

I'm gonna make another rough attempt at re-ordering this.  For a while I've been very sure about my top five.

1&2 Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings  For the sake of simplicity, I'm just considering either trilogy all one movie.  I can't decide betwixt them.

3 The LEGO Movie it's my childhood dream come true, and executed so perfectly.

4 Les Misèrables Currently my favourite musical, and I really love musicals.

After that, I'm not quite sure.  I'm pretty sure Dark Knight or Interstellar might be on there.  I kinda feel like Interstellar might actually be Nolan's best, but I've only seen it once.  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is also really special to me, and stands aside from the rest of the series.  I'm also terribly fond of the Star Wars Prequels, Willy Wonka, Disney movies, and the Pirates Trilogy.

Okay I've been thinking about this for the past few days and I think I might have my top ten narrowed down. However ask me again at a later date and that might change.

My top ten (In no particular order)

Chinatown
The Dark Knight
Casablanca
Beauty and The Beast
Pinocchio
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
2001: A Space Odyssey
Empire Strikes Back
Sunset Boulevard
Ratatouille
Blade Runner

Oh wait that's 11...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Filip wrote:
Just Kidden wrote:

1. its such a beautiful day by don hertzfeldt

I don't know why I haven't seen this one yet. I've been a fan of Rejected for years. I need to squeeze it in this month.

its a really good film, nothing like rejected at all... it's a compilation of 3 short films edited together to create 1 film, honestly it left me crying... really emotional and overwhelming at times. i thought it was going to be a lot like rejected and it kind of starts out that way but it evolves into something really poignant and special

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

No one else has Metropolis in their list?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

My list is always changing, but I suppose these are my top ten as of today (not in order, randomly listed):

The Third Man
Lost in Translation
Cinema Paradiso
Seven Samurai
The Apartment
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Groundhog Day
Pulp Fiction
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Rear Window

This is certainly a toughy...
In no particular order my list is roughly this:

Star Trek (1960's - 2013)
Lord of the Rings
The Dark Knight trilogy
Inception
Interstellar
The Patriot
Gladiator
Lone Survivor
District 9
and just to throw the curve...
Babe

Basically anything by Christopher Nolan ('cause he's a genius), and anything with a soundtrack by Hans Zimmer ('cause he's a genius) is gonna make my list.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

These things are so difficult...

Dancer In The Dark
The most affecting film I have ever seen

The Evil Dead
Probably the most horrible way to make a low budget film, but what ends up on screen makes it worthwhile.

Blue Velvet
Northing is what it seems

Zodiac
One of the most fascinating story's ever.

Akira
It has everything. Teen stuff to !@#$.

American Beauty
Also, nothing is what it seems.

C'est Arrivé Pres De Chez Vous
How far can media go.

Dirty Harry
The ultimate bad cop film.

The Exorcist
Scariest film of all time.

Paths Of Glory
Kubrick gets us to be emotional.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The most sickening, non bloody film, of all time.

Halloween
Simple but such masterfull horror filmmaking.

Eyes Wide Shut
I think you can't rank Kubrick films, and this one is a highlight in his Ouvre wich can't be said for many director's at the end of their filmmaking career.

Let The Right One In
One of the most beautiful films ever made.

Manhunter
Michael Mann of course made the ultimate 80's thriller.

Psycho
55 years old but still timeless.

Empire Strikes Back
It's just has everything classic about it while it could have ended up being so very mediocre. (John Carter)

The Thing
One of the most tense films ever made.

Ed Wood
Whenever I get down about filmmaking, I watch this... or "American Movie"

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Imma just gonna write some words and see how many I get:

The LEGO Movie
Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
Godzilla (1954)
Forrest Gump
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Airplane
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future
Hearts of Darkness

There's a whole lot more, but I think that covers me pretty well.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I started thinking... and then I started writing - only to realize I never stopped until I had 25 films written down.
I managed to edit it down to 20 so here you go (and yes, just like everyone else - it constantly changes).

The Silence of the Lambs
- It took me a while for me to realize just how much I loved this one but once I finally did, it never left my head.

Big Trouble in Little China
- My personal favorite John Carpenter film.

The Exorcist
- Did you know that back in the day, a freaking horror movie could get nominated for 10 oscars?

The LEGO Movie
- This is a new entry to my list, it's still only feeling the ground to see if it's stable enough to stay.

The Social Network
- My personal favorite David Fincher film.

Psycho
- While I do love The Exorcist very, very much. This is my personal favorite horror movie.

The Shawshank Redemption
- 1994 was a pretty good year.

Shaun of the Dead
- Has one of the best screenplays ever written.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
- This is the movie that I still remember and love so much... even though I've only seen it once(!)

The Master
- A lot of people does not seem to like this movie that much. I think it requires multiple viewings in order to really start appreciating the magnificent script.

The Prestige
- My favorite non-Batman Chris Nolan movie (Memento is a close 2nd).

The Dark Knight Rises
- My personal favorite Batman Chris Nolan movie ( I know right, kill me).

To Kill A Mockingbird
- The best court scene ever put on film (has also one of the best characters put on film).

Citizen Kane
- You all know this one.

The Dark Knight
- You all know this one.

Jaws
- The best monster horror movie ever made.

Jurassic Park
- One of my childhood favorites!

Schindler's List
- My favorite Spielberg film.

It's A Wonderful Life
- It's a beautiful film.

Sorry I've written so much, I've been meaning to record my favourite films for a while so this was a good opportunity. As always there are probably films that I've forgotten that would make it on here, and I'd probably like some of these less on a rewatch (though I've watched them all, bar Interstellar and Butch Cassidy, at least twice).

In no particular order...
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles- one of the warmest, funniest films I've ever seen. It moves effortlessly from deeply moving in some scenes to utterly hysterical in others. John Candy and Steve Martin are the perfect combination, the latter being relatable and former annoying yet lovable.
The Back to the Future Trilogy- close to the perfect trilogy of films, if I had to rate them I’d go 1-3-2 but it’s pointless as they really are one in three. These films are just special, I don’t know what it is exactly- perhaps the charm of a Delorean time machine, the inoffensive nature of it all, the plot that is gripping but never takes itself too seriously, the epic score, the brilliant range of characters, the endlessly quotable lines… but please, please, leave this trilogy as it is.
Interstellar- perhaps it’s a bit premature to put a film 4 months old on my top ten, but this was everything I wanted it to be and more. I don’t think any other film has captured space as perfectly as Interstellar- it’s emptiness, isolation, and pure thrill. It was 169 minutes but I’d happily have watched it for another 50, if just to bask in the glory of the soundtrack, possibly the best of any film on this list.
The Dish- probably the least known film on here, this Australian film tells the mostly-true story of how the one small step for man was broadcast via a radio telescope in a sheep paddock in New South Wales. It captures the feeling of the Summer of 1969 brilliantly, partly down to an excellent soundtrack of music from that period, leaving you with a sense of the great hope and optimism of that time. It also has some of the funniest dialogue I’ve ever heard. Highly recommended.
The Avengers- I was tempted to just put ‘The MCU’ on here, as I really love what they’ve done so far and think it’s got a very bright future, but that would mean including Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 on my top ten… so I’ve chosen 2012’s The Avengers, which sums up everything really great about it, though both The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy are just as good. I wouldn’t be surprised if Age of Ultron surpasses it.
Frequency- again, somewhat lesser known, but a wonderfully warm, feel good film.
Groundhog’s Day- takes a very good idea for a film and executes it in the best way possible. I’m not sure I need to say much more.
The Star Wars trilogy- the Star Wars franchise is so bloated and close to ruined these days that I hesitated to include it on this list, but let’s not allow everything since 1982 to take away from the brilliance of The Original Trilogy. My personal favourite is Return Of The Jedi, and I’m sure film critics would disagree, but I think it’s a near-perfect resolution. I am cautiously optimistic for this December’s offering.
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid- none of my words could do this film justice.
So I Married An Axe Murderer- I’m not entirely sure what makes this film so great, but it’s brilliantly funny and like a few others on this list, has endlessly quotable dialogue between characters. Not particularly impressive technically, but you don’t really notice when you’re rolling around on the floor trying to breath...
Skyfall- the earlier Bond films blur into one for me so I went with this one, luckily it's fantastic.

Edit: how could I forget The Princess Bride?

Last edited by Jayem (February 18, 2015 (01:22pm))

Frequency was a box office sleeper that got a lot of word of mouth attention when it was released on DVD.  Excellent film, except when the guy gets shot in the hand.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Frequency was a box office sleeper that got a lot of word of mouth attention when it was released on DVD.  Excellent film, except when the guy gets shot in the hand.

Interesting to know, I only saw it on DVD in the last couple years.
Haha, what do you dislike about the guy getting shot in the hand?

It was gross.  I don't watch that part anymore.  The DVD did create a buzz like around 2000.