Topic: Paint.

Directory Link

Paint.

Youtube

Painting, with Lego!

Last edited by CheesyBricks (January 27, 2015 (02:32pm))

Re: Paint.

That was fantastic. Very PES-esque, but with a LEGO spin, and the execution is nearly flawless. The look of the pixilation (human stop motion) movements is very convincing and I think that's rather hard to pull off.

This doesn't feel like anything else I've seen on this site, in a really good way.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

That was incredibly well done, loved it!

Wonderful film; I loved it. It's great to see something different. I liked how you created the effect of the paint running out in a stroke. I will definitely look forward to what you come up with in the future.

This is absolutely fantastic. I love this short film. I love the attention to detail with the smearing paint and the subtle but effect sound design. Bravo!

You don't see this kind of work every day. It was wonderful. I enjoyed every second of the film. The realism of it, and the creativity... Great work you have here.

May I ask how you kept your hand so still while you were painting? Was it digitally overlayed or masked? Did you have someone else helping you with the replacement animation?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Astounding!

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

The animation is wonderful.  It really reminds me of PES.  It's also really impressive how it's all just one shot.  I'm always doing quick shots because I'm afraid I'll mess up.  I also like very much that the lighting looks remarkably like real sunlight shining in from a window.

However, there should probably be a content advisory about that newspaper for the younger people on BiM.  Of course, it is only noticeable if you watch it at 1080p and pause it.

Thank you all for the kind words, it took a lot of work so I'm glad you like it!

rioforce wrote:

May I ask how you kept your hand so still while you were painting? Was it digitally overlayed or masked? Did you have someone else helping you with the replacement animation?

A lot of masking... Basically for the painting sections I animated the 2 hands separately then edited them together in photoshop. When animating, I hadn't taken into account the fact that the shadows and, at times, hands ended up overlapping and so this ended up being a very lengthy process but I'm happy with the result.

Sméagol wrote:

Very PES-esque, but with a LEGO spin, and the execution is nearly flawless.

I've long been a fan of PES's works and his style was something I wanted to emulate here with my own style It seems I succeeded!

Squid wrote:

However, there should probably be a content advisory about that newspaper for the younger people on BiM.  Of course, it is only noticeable if you watch it at 1080p and pause it.

Ah...yeah. That was completely unintentional, I only realised after I'd shot it that you could read it and I hoped no one would notice...

Last edited by CheesyBricks (January 27, 2015 (03:26pm))

This is super, CheesyBricks! I will definitely be watching it over and over again.

As some people have already mentioned, the animation was incredible, very impressive. One particular aspect of the animation that I thought was wonderful was when the paint was smeared with the paint brush. I was also very impressed with the sound design. From the painting sounds to the distant radio in the background, it all really brought the short together.

That was magic ! You're very strong. Real with lego animation ! So fantastic !

Worldwide Brickfilm Community : Brick à Brack

YouTube Channel : MBstudio
Twitter : @MBstudio_Movies

What can I say here that hasn't already been said? I think it's awesome that you took a stab at PES's style; imitation is a great way to learn and test your abilities; something I think a lot of us could do more often. Kudos for doing that. You pulled it off wonderfully.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

That was wonderful. One of the most creative uses of the LEGO stop-motion medium I've seen in quite some time.

The animation on the brushstrokes and paint smears was wonderful. I also love the attention to detail with the water and the way it changes colors over time (and how did you get those perfect streaks of yellow in the water after you washed the yellow paint off? Splendid work).

Wow, this was all-around amazing. The use of different bricks for the smears was incredibly creative and it added to the high level of realism that this film has.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Really amazing, loved it! mini/bigsmile
Well done and soooo original. Congrats!

I loved it. From how the water changed colours to the way you make your hand looks like it is pressing down hard. The lighting was nice and warm. The  pixilation was very stable.

There's not any criticism so I'll give you mine. There is nothing wrong that I found. My only two improvements are that the final painting looked kinda plain, I am aware that Piet Mondrian is a professional painter and shouldn't have his worked called "plain" but maybe a portrait would do better. It will certainly make work a lot more harder but a lot more worth it. Another thing is that mixing paint wouldn't do harm. Again, making yellow and blue into green will be harder but looks so much will be so better.
Now that you' do done it with Lego pieces, I wouldn't recommend you to do a painting video in Lego pieces again or else
the original video will lose its magic. Do something like PES, instead of Lego, use a football glove and what not to make paint, and a leaf on a twig to make a paint brush.
My work is nowhere near yours and I'll have a harder time than you in achieving what I want, but please don't flip out in frustration.

Last edited by Kd2000 (January 29, 2015 (10:23pm))

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

This is the most creative use of the brick medium I've seen here in a while. Simple idea, brilliantly executed.

(I came up with a similar idea but I may need to shelve it now. Hella jealous)

Very impressive! The stop-motion of the human arm was stunning.

Wonderful job! Glad to see someone break through the endless sea of minifigure-centric brickfilms.

I always say that animation, first and foremost, is a visual medium. Thanks for providing this visual treat!

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

I love this film simply for how creative it is. I can't begin to imagine how painstaking it must have been to tweak which bricks you used to make the smudging of the paint look just right, but it seems that in the end it was worth it.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028