Topic: [THAC XII] New Recruits

Directory Link

New Recruits

YouTube

My entry into THAC XII. I will post a THACumentary when I'm finished editing it. EDIT: Here it is! Check out the THACumentary here:

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/post/338661

Captain D. Rom is the best cop around. Sometimes he is a little too good. While looking for new police officers, he looses control and launches into interrogation mode in the comedic police brickfilm.

Last edited by rioforce (January 5, 2015 (05:01pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: [THAC XII] New Recruits

That was an enjoyable film(: Really liked the set design and lighting especially. Some of the SFX were a little too corny for my taste, but overall good job! Btw, we both used the same music from incompetech!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Awesome film! As mentioned above, the lighting was fantastic, and the over-the-top comedy was hilarious.

I especially loved the billboard outside the police station and the voices of the different recruits.

π Cherry π Banana Cream π Pumpkin π Lemon-Lemon π Black Berry π Quiche π

That was really great. I was laughing the whole way through. The animation was nice and smooth for the most part, the dialogue was hilarious, and the sets were really nice. I really love the camera spin at the start, to look at the sandwich.

"It's probably because of that good-for-nothing sandwich over there!"

One of the best videos I've seen for THAC!!!!!! mini/bigsmile Best of luck in the contest!

Oh my god I love it. The police car sound effect put a huge smile on my face. What really wowed me right from the start of the video though was the superb set design and cinematography. Shots were wonderfully composed and I loved the light coming into the set. The camera quality is also gorgeous, do you mind me asking what you use?

If I had to criticize anything, it would be that the animation seemed a little slow. There seemed to be little easing on the movements so movements that should be fast, such as the facepalm, come off as uncanny.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Boy, that was a lot of work. This is my first THAC, and all I want to do it go to sleep now. mini/tongue

I'm glad you all enjoyed the jokes in it.

@Gentrystudios, I know, I really could have picked better sound effects. I was editing in the middle of the night, what can I say? Actually, some of the effects were recorded by me (not very many of them, mostly just the whistles). Corny is my way of dealing with lack of sleep, sorry. mini/tongue

@jstudios I'm glad you enjoyed it. I use a Nikon D3100 with a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 prime lens. (with an M42 screw mount and Fotodiox adapter, if you want to get that technical mini/lol ) I did notice the easing problem and the slowness. The easing is often because the tightness of the minifigure limbs, the tight space, and the fear to bump things, and also because I need some more practice there. The unfortunate reason that some parts were slow is because I didn't want them to be to fast, and didn't remember take out the un-needed frames. I'll keep that in mind though in upcoming projects. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

First THAC film I've seen other than mine, and I must say, WOW!!! That was hilarious, and you did a fantastic job with the dialogue, set design, and lighting. You need to make more films like this. mini/bigsmile

What is there to be said about this? It's prefect. It's very funny, great animation, and that lighting is spectacular. Good luck.

I love the sets, the use of color is great. Your animation needs some work, but you seem to have a decent grasp on what you need to do to improve. Keep working at it, you have a great sense of aesthetic. mini/smile

Wow, I was surprised to hear some of my outtakes in this. mini/eek

However with that being said, this has to be one of my favorite THAC entries. I enjoyed the writing, set design, lighting, and voice acting. And it was nice to see Captain D. Rom in another brickfilm!

I also want to add that I really liked the small montage in between the two interviews. That helped pad out the short a bit and give it a more complete feel.

As for suggestions I don't know what I can really add that other people haven't said already.

Keep up the great work!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Certainly the one of my favorite THAC films this year, good luck in the contest. The humor was just right.  The animation,  sets and lighting was all really good and work together well to create a very nice film.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

This film looks brilliant. All the shots have excellent composition and lighting.

This is really cool. The lighting and cinematography are really amazing, and it was really funny. Your animation is also getting a lot better.

rioforce wrote:

The easing is often because the tightness of the minifigure limbs and the fear to bump things

you can often loosen up a limp by taking it on and of a couple of times. Also I don't know if you sticky tack every thing down but that should help [I guess I should try that mini/lol ]

Last edited by osomstudios (January 5, 2015 (04:19pm))

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I really like this!  Nice lighting and set design, and I really like the quality of the picture--it has a warm tint that suits the style of the film well.

The only thing that could use improvement is the animation--it feels to slow and "floaty", and would benefit if you made it faster, or removed some frames.

That aside, this is a really good entry!  I hope it does well.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I'm torn with this one, to be completely honest. The framing and lighting was great, and it's well animated. The premise was interesting, and I found the first minute or so to be really entertaining, but as it went on, I felt the humor became a bit too childish for my taste. The whole pretzel thing felt like some "wow so randumb"-thing. This is obviously very subjective, of course.
Very impressed by the technical aspects, just would have wished for a bit more from the plot. mini/smile

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Wow, really fun and nice entry! I really enjoyed it. In particular, you had some really nice framing for some of your shots. The atmosphere and set design was quite nice also.

My only advice would be to work on your animation. Also, to avoid prop bumps, sticky tack everything. It really helps!

Overall great entry.

That Helios lens really has a lovely warm foggy-ness to it that made the aesthetic of this film stand out amongst all of the other THAC entries (yet another reason for why I'll probably buy one soon). The subject matter was a bit random - though I've seen equally if not more random entries in past THACs take out a top 3 spot. Next time it'd be cool to see you focus a bit more on developing a stronger story. Definitely, this is in the top 10 for technical achievement at the least.
Good work and good luck!

mini/smile

Thanks again for the comments! I am thankful for your critiques. They are very helpful so I know what to work on. mini/smile

Walter Benson wrote:

Wow, I was surprised to hear some of my outtakes in this. mini/eek

I also want to add that I really liked the small montage in between the two interviews. That helped pad out the short a bit and give it a more complete feel.

Haha, I liked those outtakes so much that I just had to animate them. The police siren one really worked though, I think. I took your advice and added those extra characters last minute. I knew I couldn't fit an entire third interview into the film with the time limit and all, so I added the montage. I'm glad you thought it worked well. mini/smile

Filip wrote:

...but as it went on, I felt the humor became a bit too childish for my taste. The whole pretzel thing felt like some "wow so randumb"-thing. This is obviously very subjective, of course.

Thanks for your opinion. I'm a fan of corny jokes, so that's why I threw them in there, because I didn't want the film to be too serious, and didn't want it to end without something funny. But I will take that into consideration for later films. mini/wink

ForlornCreature wrote:

...Next time it'd be cool to see you focus a bit more on developing a stronger story.

Yea, I definitely realize that one of the weak points of this film is an incomplete story. I wrote it in less than an hour, so that could be to blame. mini/tongue

YouTubeWebsite

Wow, this was really funny. I loved the outtakes/blooper reel at the very end.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?