Re: THAC XII - Starts NOW!

LASF wrote:

Nathan, would the word "damn" be alright to use once or twice in the film?

The rules say otherwise.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Scripting done, first set built. time to get into the fun part, animating mini/smile

Now In Mint Flavor
formerly legolover16

Can blue fig walking on the black plate be a mod element?

mkstudio wrote:

Should be, that's a black brick and that's a blue brick and they should be always touching or connected in a walk cycle.

mkstudio wrote:

I know a blue brick connected to a black baseplate is not allowed, so it might not be. I'd wait until seeing Nathan's response.

Now it's good, I placed blue and black bricks in the wall.

A black plate is different from a baseplate.
In my THAC films I've done it where I place bricks on plates rather than baseplates (as I avoid having baseplates exposed).  I don't think any black baseplates even exist, though I'm not sure (although blue baseplates do.)

Does the mod element have to be in focus?

Woke up earlier then planned, time to make a pot of coffee and start writing

Just finished brain storming, now it is script time!

Harborlight Productions wrote:

So can I put the mod element in my sets?

Yes, that's kind of the point of the mod elements. Try to intergrate them cleverly!

Squid wrote:

In my THAC films I've done it where I place bricks on plates rather than baseplates (as I avoid having baseplates exposed).  I don't think any black baseplates even exist, though I'm not sure (although blue baseplates do.)

This is true, technically.

The mod elements are they just to prove you made the film within 24 hours. We're not trying to punish you by forcing you to include them. However, I'd air on the side of caution when including them. Personally I feel a minifig walking across a plate is borderline and breaks the intent of the rule "no baseplates". I'd prefer to see the mod elements continuously touching for the duration of the shot, but it isn't in this year's rules.

Basically, it's easier on you and the judges if you stick the spirit of the rules instead of finding loopholes.

legokingmike217 wrote:

As the rules state:

If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and the entry will most likely be disqualified. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.
For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

In other words, the judges need to be able to clearly identify the mod element during at least some point in the shot.

LASF wrote:

Nathan, would the word "damn" be alright to use once or twice in the film?

The rules say otherwise.

The rules are designed to keep the entries generally family friendly. Even some G-rated films including the swear "damn," so I'm inclined to allow it. But I would also urge you to consider where or not you really need to include such language.

Smeagol, your thoughts?

I'm about to start animating!  If all goes well, I might be able to squeeze two entries in! mini/lol

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~

I don't know if this ha been asked already, because I haven't been watching the thread, but does dark blue and really light blue count as blue? And what about transparent blue?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I don't know if this ha been asked already, because I haven't been watching the thread, but does dark blue and really light blue count as blue? And what about transparent blue?

Yes, those are fine!

Happy THAC!! Wish I could join this year but I'm a bit busy with other projects. Can't wait to see all the entries!

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Nathan Wells wrote:

So can I put the mod element in my sets?

Yes, that's kind of the point of the mod elements. Try to intergrate them cleverly!

Squid wrote:

This is true, technically.

The mod elements are they just to prove you made the film within 24 hours. We're not trying to punish you by forcing you to include them. However, I'd air on the side of caution when including them. Personally I feel a minifig walking across a plate is borderline and breaks the intent of the rule "no baseplates". I'd prefer to see the mod elements continuously touching for the duration of the shot, but it isn't in this year's rules.

Basically, it's easier on you and the judges if you stick the spirit of the rules instead of finding loopholes.

legokingmike217 wrote:

As the rules state:

If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and the entry will most likely be disqualified. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.
For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

In other words, the judges need to be able to clearly identify the mod element during at least some point in the shot.

I have a shot where the mod element is in focus (a minifig), but then it goes out of focus, there is no change in shot, just focus.  It is somewhat hard to tell that the out of focus minifig is/contains the mod element.  Is this against the rules?

I know this discussion is already going on but I just want to ask to be safe.

If a blue and black minifig is walking in the background but blurred out, it counts as a mod element correct? or will it need to be clarified when sending to the judges?

Yes, as long as you can tell that the blue and black are touching, it is fine.