Topic: Character Development - BRAWL 2014

Character Development

Youtube

Enjoy

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3852/14601634248_9cbb571134_o.jpg

Re: Character Development - BRAWL 2014

That was a great little gem of a film!

Wonderfully written little short, Wheatley! I definitely got some Stanley Parable-ish vibes from the rapport between the character and narrator. Very well done!

So much character development I cried.

That was a fantastic little brickfilm.

Right off, this was one of my favorite BRAWL films. Why?
I dunno.

The hilarious fourth-wall breaking, the great, yet simple, plot and fantastic interaction between the narrator and the character for one. And secondly, the good animation and sets, the flawless voice acting, and the over-dramatic ending all come together to create a masterpiece.

The head choices are perfect, and give the Bob a large amount of expression that is normally lacking in brickfilms. The simplicity is nice overall, though a large number of shots were straight on and rather boring. It would have been nice to have a bit more variation.

Other than that, I can say nothing but congratulations and good luck!

@SlothPaladin, Mighty Wanderer, Pritchard Studios: Thanks for your compliments and feedback, I really appreciate it.

@MindGames I am honoured you enjoyed my film, In my opinion you are one of the best brickfilmers ever and more importantly you were one of the brickfilmers who inspired me when was around 14 to start brickfilming. Thank you.

P.S. The Stanley Parable was a major inspiration for this film mini/wink

I really liked the main character's voice and your use of those custom heads really added to the comedy.
One critique: it's the fourth wall, not the third.

I laughed so heartily upon watching this.  And even more upon my second viewing.
Easily one of my favourite entries.  I do hope it places highly.  I love the dialogue, and whilst watching I was also greatly reminded of the Stanly Parable, and it seems I wasn't the only one.  It's all very, very clever.  It reminds me a little bit of some of my own weird brickfilms.  And I particularly like the faces changing emotion.  I use smiley heads so much I should probably get some of those some time.  I loved those voices, those accents were so cool sounding.
I loved how long that shot lasted.  And I love how long the other one lasted.  There was a tiny hair  on his chin though, which was a bit annoying.  Probably should have dusted more, or possibly since it's a single frame it might have been been removed in Photoshop, though it is BRAWL and so you might not have had time for that.

A few minor notes though:
It was a bit weird how the chap from the mafia just sits there for a terribly long time doing nothing.  I thought it might've been rather amusing to have his head keep turning back and forth betwixt the narrator and the hero, as it might've added emphasis to the awkwardness of their conversation whilst making himself just sitting there look less awkward.
There was quite a substantial number of set bumps, of course your set seems to have been arranged in such a way that that does seem rather hard to avoid.  And re-animating would take away a lot of precious BRAWL time.  However, there is a rather nice way to remove bumps in post by opening a random frame in Photoshop from a shot and then erasing everything except the place that was bumped.  You then save it as a .PNG which will keep the transparency and then you overlay that frame on top of the entire shot.  After that the bump should be entirely gone.  Of course, this doesn't work at all if it's a moving shot or if you have the lighting change mid-shot or if something else is moving too close to it.  But for the most part it works for the typical still shot.  It's a really great trick to know and I've saved a whole load of trouble removing bumps that way.  Plus it takes only a minute or so, thus it's not very time consuming.  Too late now, but make sure to remember that in later films.

END films wrote:

it's the fourth wall, not the third.

You never go to four.

Last edited by Squid (July 30, 2014 (04:00pm))

@END films Thank you mini/smile

@Squid Thank you so much. I really appreciate your feedback, especially since you are one of my favourite brickfilmers (since the time of LU). The reason this film is not as polished as I maybe want it to be is that I wanted to keep it simple, as I have not released a brickfilm in 2 years. That being said I will take your advice to heart and use it in future films.

This is such a stand-out. All of the voice acting is just perfect and I laughed so much at the arm coming through the bench. The face changes were really great (especially since they were all based on the basic smiley) but man, that death zoom took up about a third of the film!

Love the narrator's voice.  The replacement animation, using the different heads, was really well done as well; it's something I'd like to see more often in brickfilms.  The animation of Emilio behind the bench is great too; it gives off a Just Kidden-ish/Classic Brickfilm vibe that I love.

However, I feel the story zig-zags a bit.  I'd like to have seen more of Emilio, but he doesn't do a whole lot except sit behind the park bench, and it seems a bit weird that he doesn't even move even after

Spoiler (click to read)

the Narrator starts talking to Bob, and Bob shoots himself.

And there are a few minor issues, such as the odd set bump, and a hair on Bob's chin in the final shot.  But yeah, I really like it.

Also, what's the name of the music that plays at the end?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Non, je ne regrette rien
It plays in I N C E P T I O N at a few points.

Squid wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:

Non, je ne regrette rien
It plays in I N C E P T I O N at a few points.

Ah yes, it sounds familiar now that you mention it.  (I haven't seen I N C E P T I O N in years, I should really watch it again...)

I must have listened to this 10 times ever since clicking the link.  I need help.  And yet.... I regret nothing.

See what I did there?!]

Actually this song would be perfect for my next (very) short film, except that I now feel like I'd be ripping off this film.

Anyway, back on topic...

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (July 28, 2014 (08:10am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

@FlyingMinifig, sillypenta Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm curious as to who played Bob and the Narrator.
The credits say voices and animation by Sir-Glub and Jayko, but I'm not sure who exactly did what, and they sounded like Excellent voices, the like of which I might be interested in requesting for my own films if possible.

Also, in the comments on YouTube people are mentioning that Emilio is a reference to a FancyPants film, though I seem to have forgotten which film that was.  Which was it?

Actually this song would be perfect for my next (very) short film, except that I now feel like I'd be ripping off this film.

There's a difference betwixt ripping something off and referencing it.
In your own most recent film, you yourself played Verdi Requiem Dies Eris whilst there was a great gunfight inside of a warehouse, very similar to (Enter Vladimir Vango).  However, that was more of a reference rather than ripping it off.  It makes for really good music in that context.

@Squid, I was Bob and Jayko was the wonderful narrator. Emilio was a reference to Fancypants' Ruthless Plan Part 5 (unfinished).

Hey, nice video!  I loved every minute of it!

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~

@Wammy Thanks

I do agree with Pritchard on how the last two shots dragged on for awhile, and how I just clicked on ahead to the next video in the playlist. mini/lol But, the voice acting is very well done, and it's really funny and random how

Spoiler (click to read)

Bob carries around a handgun in his pocket.

I also like the way Emilio's hand was poking out of the bench. I just don't think the lengthiness at the end was necessary, as it takes up the last 1:15 of your entry.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I know I'm probably going to receive some hate when I say that I didn't really like this all that much. I mean, it was just average. I've watched it over about four times now so I know I haven't missed any details.

First off, the prop bumps that happened continuously throughout the entire film distracted me. I could not focus see some plant or tree bob around all the time. Secondly, I didn't really enjoy Bob's voice acting. I don't really find those high-pitched fake-y sounding voices. Third, what was up with the entire minute of Bob being dead? Seriously, a whole minute? I was expecting something to happen. When the credits started rolling, it left me confused. I didn't find it that funny either. Also,

Spoiler (click to read)

when Bob commits suicide, the animating looks weird as he's falling. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps the quick cut off?

The one thing I did like was when

Spoiler (click to read)

Emilio was preparing for the hit.

I also liked the general animation of the film, too.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I just didn't really like it all that much.

P.S. It's the fourth wall.