Re: NEW: Superman and Batman movie (Man of Steel Sequel)

So its officially Batman v Superman.

Which means I can officially direct everyone to this video and use that as my point, arguement, counter-arguement, and conclusion.

This movie is gonna suck. Sorry.

Hollywood: please stop making superhero movies. I don't even like the good ones anymore because I'm just sooo tired of them. I'm so tired of them I might actually go on a crusade and keep parodying superhero movies until everyone stops and moves onto characters that have geniune struggles, characters that are actually bloody female, and narratives that don't contain 20 min action sequences where the loss of lives and property are completely forgotten.

Christ! I think the only reason aliens haven't invaded yet is because they've looked down on us and thought: "Dear God! They actually want to be invaded, don't they?!" "Well shall we invade, Emperor Blargle-Spleen?" "Hell no! They've completely taken the fun out of it! Stupid humans! Lets just leave them to slowly die out among themselves, like those beetles that are almost extinct because they're eating their own babies."

Last edited by Max Butcher (May 22, 2014 (01:46am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

They're probably going to go on making superhero movies until superhero movies stop making money.  Eventually everyone might get completely tired, but not yet.  The superheromoviepocalypse shall rage on.

Squid wrote:

The superheromoviepocalypse shall rage on.

...Green Lantern never bothered me anyway...?

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I never expected the film to cover a court case between Batman and Superman, as that's clearly what the title seems to indicate. Superman may finally be brought to justice for the war crimes he committed in his destruction of a city and cold blooded murder of another intelligent being.

Yes! And then the court turns to Batman, who took the blame for Harvey Dent's death when he could have just turned to the cops at the end of The Dark Knight and said "OK guys. I know what this looks like..." And then the courts like "Wait...I thought you said you didn't kill. So why did you kill Harvey Dent - but let the Joker free?"

Hold on, I need to script this...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Did I just inspire your next Brickfilm?

and cold blooded murder of another intelligent being.

Don't get me wrong; I have no love for the writing in MoS. That being said, most courts probably wouldn't call killing a guy that was responsible for thousands of deaths and in the process of trying to fry a few more people "cold blooded murder". That superhero films continue to attempt seriousness while maintaining the "killing anyone, including Hitler 2.0, under any circumstances is a horrible thing that a hero should agonize over" is laughable to me. If they want their films to tackle complex issues, they need to evolve their heroes into complex characters.

Squash wrote:

and cold blooded murder of another intelligent being.

Don't get me wrong; I have no love for the writing in MoS. That being said, most courts probably wouldn't call killing a guy that was responsible for thousands of deaths and in the process of trying to fry a few more people "cold blooded murder". That superhero films continue to attempt seriousness while maintaining the "killing anyone, including Hitler 2.0, under any circumstances is a horrible thing that a hero should agonize over" is laughable to me. If they want their films to tackle complex issues, they need to evolve their heroes into complex characters.

Yeah good point. Whenever I see that scene, though, I'm always thinking" Can't you cover his eyes with your hands? Or couldn't you have moved the fight outside the city?

Max Butcher wrote:

So its officially Batman v Superman.

Which means I can officially direct everyone to this video and use that as my point, arguement, counter-arguement, and conclusion.

This movie is gonna suck. Sorry.

No, it's fine. You're right. I mean, it probably won't "suck", per se. But, Keshen has proved that the film doesn't have to be made. Unless, there's a surprising twist, where Snyder and Nolan decide to give Batman some powers so that it can be a fair fight. But, that's not likely...

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Alright, alright, let's keep civil here, fellow brickfilmers. I didn't create this thread for people to rant negative thoughts on a blockbuster franchise. And, even though negative criticism is not discouraged, please refrain from posting things like "this movie is gonna suck," as you should know, that a lot of work is always put into any movie (Even something as bad as "The Room") and, the hours of effort should be respected - even if the final "art" isn't up to par with your own personal expectations...

Personally, I think this film will be good - I'm not expecting the next "Citizen Kane," nor am I expecting another "Batman & Robin." I will, weather I like the filmmakers decisions or not, pay to see the movie in theaters, and most likely buy the Blu-Ray to add to my superhero movies collection. It's a sub-genre that I personally like, and thus, I have reason to post about such series.

Those who don't even watch these sort of films, or even like the sub-genre, shouldn't post on here just to rant. As per the site's rules, the comments should be civil. - Let's keep it civil before it gets out of hand.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

As much as I loved Man of Steel, I really despair for the sequel. While I think Ben Affleck was a great choice for Batman, and I love the suit design, what worries me is David Goyer. In the past, when working on films like The Dark Knight, he was brilliant at creating a 'realistic' Gotham. However, bear in mind Christopher Nolan was co-writing, and two heads are always better than one, especially when Goyer isn't actually that good a writer. At all.

Again, when Goyer wrote for Man of Steel, he was co-writing with Nolan and Snyder (though I believe Snyder went uncredited for that) but because Superman is, in its very nature, more outlandish and obviously sci-fi, and Goyer seems ashamed of the material. He had a rant earlier this week about how "goofy" Martian Manhunter is, and how there's no way you can put him in a film.

Meanwhile at Marvel Studios, they're making movies about talking trees and raccoons, a guy who can control ants, and a race of long-haired Norse alien-gods. And they're successful. Why? Because they're not ashamed of the material. Goyer struggles to accept that what his audience actually wants is what he is refusing to give them, because he thinks it sounds goofy.

Hopefully, his hugely misogynistic rant about She-Hulk will get him fired and a better writer on Dawn of Justice. Of course, that won't happen, so we just have to hope that Chris Terrio (who's co-writing the film, and wrote the screenplay for Argo) will be able to keep him in check.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I didn't know a writer for Argo was working on the film. That gets my hopes up a little.

jampot wrote:

As much as I loved Man of Steel, I really despair for the sequel.

Goyer... had a rant earlier this week about how "goofy" Martian Manhunter is, and how there's no way you can put him in a film.

Meanwhile at Marvel Studios, they're making movies about talking trees and raccoons, a guy who can control ants, and a race of long-haired Norse alien-gods. And they're successful. Why? Because they're not ashamed of the material. Goyer struggles to accept that what his audience actually wants is what he is refusing to give them, because he thinks it sounds goofy.

Jampot, I 100% agree. The Disney company (Who owns the rights to Marvel films) has got a lot of hate, and always will, and, it's funny to think that what they're being hated for is just what makes me love them; They make serious films about unreal things. I wouldn't have believed that toys can come to life, walk, talk, and even go on an adventure by themselves. But, Disney can do these things, and does do them, often epically!

Warner Brothers, and DC, have really been lacking recently in Movie quality, and, seem to caught up in trying to catch lightning in a bottle once more; In vein of The Dark Knight, a darker and more realistic portrayal of a comic superhero. But, remember, The Spider-Man series made a lot of money in this time, as well, and, was by comparison, much lighter and comical than The Dark Knight. (Even though the 3rd one took that a little too far, I still think the series is solid as a whole.)

DC needs to go back to their roots, and remember that they're making films for kids and teens, not adults. There's a reason The Dark Knight, Man of Steel, and The Avengers weren't rated 'R.' - That would kill half of their fan-base right there! These movies need to be a little more 'child friendly,' yet, still need some great character development, something that, right now, I think that only Disney is capable of...

Dyland wrote:

something that, right now, I think that only Disney is capable of...

I beg to differ. Sony produced Ghostbusters and all five Spider-man movies, Paramount produced the first Iron Man, and Fox made Fantastic Four and X-men. Let's not forget that until it was bought by Disney, Lucasfilm gave us Star Wars and Indiana Jones, while Universal gave us Back To The Future. You mentioned Toy Story, which was Pixar, who developed their own aesthetic style before being bought by Disney. Above all, WB funded and distributed the Harry Potter movies. It's not the fact that one studio is only capable of producing a certain kind of film, it's to do with individual initiatives.

Also, I'd like to point out that while Disney owns Marvel, their only involvement in the MCU is funding and distribution, which is different to how stuff like Frozen gets produced (actually created by a subdivision of Disney itself).

Sorry if that's a bit long-winded, but basically it's down to the writing/production team involved, not normally the studio. Please don't think I'm attacking your point, I'm just being devil's advocate.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

...basically it's down to the writing/production team involved, not normally the studio.

I agree that many companies have, if not ALL film companies have, in the past, made GREAT films that are, um, 'obviously fictional,' yet are taken seriously. - And that is due to the writers. However, right now, I think that Disney, and it's owned and partnered companies, currently have the best writers in this genre. (of 'obviously fictional' movies)

And, not to put Disney down, like others do, but, I don't think this is a good thing. Disney's kind of got a monopoly right now in 'creatively realistic' writers, actors, and directors. And, as we know, monopolies aren't a good thing.

But, I think that if Disney, as in Walt Disney, was still here, his company would be a lot different, and, might even make better movies! (If such a thing is possible, as right now, they're kind of on a roll.) mini/tongue

But I agree, other companies have made great films, and, hopefully, will make some more great films, especially within the Super-Hero sub-genre.