Topic: Leprechauns in France

Directory Link

Leprechauns in France

YouTube

Once upon a time, a Frenchman named Garry has an unexpected encounter with a maniacal magical rainbow-loving leprechaun named Fred.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1966846_703245243032154_847255838_n.jpg

Last edited by Squid (March 17, 2014 (04:33am))

Re: Leprechauns in France

*tear* this make's us Irish happy, Squid!

The entire film is a pure delight, especially the animation, which was perfect. The first time I watched it, I actually couldn't find out who was playing Garry, so creds to your acting skills as well.

Also, thanks for letting me help out with feedback.

A Twist of Fate | THAC 11: Fish Tale
Youtube | Twitter

"I see… your name is Bernt."

Did anyone find the Ninja? cause I did!

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

To be entirely honest, I didn't find it as funny as everyone else says they did, but I guess that's just me. What I did love about your film though, was the smooth animation and the interesting 'techniques'. For example, the way you animated the fire extinguisher was really interesting to watch. These little ideas are what I like about your films.
The set-design was great and the acting was pretty decent, too. Garry was truly annoying.

So yeah, I enjoyed your film but mainly because of the creative solutions. mini/smile

Story There isn't much story, but that fits into the style.  Like most of the previous ANP brickfilms the story is just there to create humor.

Animation The animation in this film is some of your best.  The cartoony-ness works well with the clever humor.

Sets I don't think its a stretch to say that the set in this film might be the best set in ANP history!  I have loved the organic look of the ANP sets and this is just as spectacular.  I like that you decided to use fall colors for the trees, and other visual choices that aren't that common.

Lighting This doesn't have lighting as neat as Odoriferous but the lighting does hold up.

Overall Overall Leprechauns in France is a funny brickfilm with good animation, great set design, and a story that works for this type of brickfilm.

Story  5/0
Animation  9/10
Sets  10/10
Lighting  8/10
Overall  8/10

hilarious and extremely well made . animation had a lot of character and was really creative

my computer crashed halfway through watching it

only criticism: pony references are lame

amazing work

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

This is great.  I love it!  Especially all of the randomness

Spoiler (click to read)

"MIND BLOW!"  "That is COOL!"  German Leprechauns!

The thing with the narrator you did was really funny as well, and the sets as always were beautiful.  The animation as well was beautifully smooth (I especially liked the fire extinguisher and flamethrower parts) and I loved the sounds as well.  (Especially the magic mushroom noise and the ambient humming when Garry "froze"--how'd you make that sound?)

Spoiler (click to read)

I did find it a bit odd that both Garry and Fred had American accents, especially since Henry had an Irish one...

All in all, a delightful film!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I loved it! The animation was great! No light flicker this time! Great job Squid. mini/bigsmile

I loved it.

The set was pretty good, the animation was great as usual, the light flicker was gone, and the video was really fun to watch. I loved the fire effects, they looked really amazing.

Spoiler (click to read)

The ending was disappointing. I never thought of you as the type to go with a "randomly-shoot-a-guy-cause-its-funny" type of ending. That was really...eh. You could have done way better with that.

Excellent work.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Thanks, everyone! mini/smile

PushOverProductions wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

The ending was disappointing. I never thought of you as the type to go with a "randomly-shoot-a-guy-cause-its-funny" type of ending. That was really...eh. You could have done way better with that.

I did do better than that.  Did you watch the actual ending?  The whole point of that "ending" is to set up the joke for the real ending.

It's much more important to watch the entire film with this one.

*tear* this make's us Irish happy, Squid!

Being Irish is great.

No light flicker this time!

Almost none, though I've lessened it greatly, it's still there in just a few shots, like in Henry's really long line.  Why it's there, I know not, but it's still better, and for that I am happy.

only criticism: pony references are lame

The pony reference in the chapter title seemed fitting to me.  Although references are a poor substitute for actual jokes, the chapter titles aren't meant to be jokes anyway, just something to have there and make it seem more like a storybook.  Thus I feel like it wasn't really wrong to put it there.  20 Percent cooler is also an especially fitting title for chapter 2 considering that it not only has rainbows but also has a man getting frozen in a block of ice (and that was not done as a reference, but just happened to happen).  Chapter 2 just has a lot of rainbows because I really wanted to animate rainbows in a film.  I love rainbows and think they're really pretty.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I loved the sounds as well.  (Especially the magic mushroom noise and the ambient humming when Garry "froze"--how'd you make that sound?)

Spoiler (click to read)

I did find it a bit odd that both Garry and Fred had American accents, especially since Henry had an Irish one...

The ice sound is made from the ringing sound of hitting a metal bowl and playing it reverse and forward at the same time.  The mushroom sound was made by spending several minutes at 4 AM blowing bubbles into that same bowl during BRAWL then reversing it and adding some other effects.

The joke of it is supposed to be that Leprechauns of different nationalities are very weird and often have very strange traits to themselves which are not at all shared by their fellow non-leprechaun countrymen.
German leprechauns don't have German accents, and generally act very oddly, but do, in fact, dress in proper leprechaun attire.
Irish leprechauns are generally like normal people and don't seem especially special, though they do actually speak in their correct accent.  However, Irish leprechauns hold an almost American obsession with guns, and also have the habit of acting quite polite then shooting people on a whim.
French leprechauns speak in American accents, but are entirely oblivious to the fact that they are leprechauns.  This sort of thing happens to every single French leprechaun who ever lives who manages to find out.  French leprechauns also have a great deal of trouble controlling their magic because they are incognizant of the fact that they are in fact magical.  However, they are always lucky enough to survive their magical accidents because they are leprechauns.

To be entirely honest, I didn't find it as funny as everyone else says they did, but I guess that's just me.

It's amazing that most people seem to be getting this humour in the first place.

Last edited by Squid (March 17, 2014 (10:35am))

Awesomesauce!
Squid, you've done it again!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Great brickfilm.  Spot on animation and I loved all the bright colors.

Beautiful sets, great animation and hilarious storyline! mini/lol

Squid wrote:

French leprechauns speak in American accents, bat are entirely oblivious to the fact that they are leprechauns.  This sort of thing happens to every single French leprechauns who ever lives who manages to fin out.  French leprechauns also have a great deal of trouble controlling their magic because they are incognizant of the fact that they are in fact magical.  However, they are always lucky enough to survive their magical accidents because they are leprechauns.

That’s an interesting point of view about French leprechauns... You’ve taught us something that will make us less ignorant...

France & Alex wrote:

That’s an interesting point of view about French leprechauns... You’ve taught us something that will make us less ignorant...

Of course, French Leprechauns are nothing like actual Frenchmen.
French Leprechauns don't even exist, not even in other stories, so I just made them really weird to fit with the story.

Squid wrote:

No light flicker this time!

Almost none, though I've lessened it greatly, it's still there in just a few shots, like in Henry's really long line.  Why it's there, I know not, but it's still better, and for that I am happy.

I did notice that after watching it the second time.

Really like the style of your films. The bright colours and wonderful animation seem to give them a really good niche. Speaking of the animation, it's absolutely gorgeous, the smoothness and momentum on each movement is perfect and I loved the really creative stuff like the fire extinguisher.
  Pretty funny too, I actually really liked Gary's overacting, the only problem I have with it is that it was just a couple of jokes leading up to one twist at the end, there wasn't really an arc to speak of. I'd like to see you make something again that has more of a large, overarching story with your random humour spliced in.

Still though, very very polished film, sets and animation are lovely and you got really creative with some stuff.

Spoiler (click to read)

Only other thing I disliked though, pony references.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Such a great film as usual, Harrison! I loved everything about it!

Wow, you did a really great job with this, Squid. I think this has to be the best animation you've done yet. All of the movements were a wonder to the eyes, and just very satisfying to watch. The story is funny and clever, and I really liked Gary.

It's kind of weird to hear my voice acting from, what, 2 years ago again. I feel like I sound better as a voice actor now, so it just felt strange. Also, I laughed quite a bit when Smeagol took over my narration job. It was quite clever.

All in all, I love this film.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

What was the meaning of the parrots in Chapter Two?

Don't worry, that isn't a spoiler.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein