Topic: "Chestnuts, Figgy Pudding, and a Maniac"

Directory Link

"Chestnuts, Figgy Pudding, and a Maniac"

Youtube

Some people take Christmas too far....but only one person knows how to take it past "too far".  What Ellis Wood considers an "average Christmas", others consider a potentially dangerous, life-or-death situation.

This took me two months to make and almost killed me. I am just Gonna come right out and say it, this is one of the worse things I have ever made (as far as technical aspects go).

You can check out behind the scenes photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … amp;type=1

Last edited by PushOverProductions (December 26, 2013 (10:22am))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Re: "Chestnuts, Figgy Pudding, and a Maniac"

I laughed alot mini/lol

Spoiler (click to read)

I didn't think people made Dane Cook gets ___ by ___ vidoes anymore

END films wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

I didn't think people made Dane Cook gets ___ by ___ vidoes anymore

I'm bringing em back baby. mini/sunnies

No, but seriously, thank you. This made it all worth while. mini/smile

I almost regret making an educational Christmas film instead of a comedy now mini/smile

I think the Incompetech music kinda killed it. But, kudos to you for making a 12-minute long brickfilm. I wish I had enough patience to do so.

Like you said, the technical bits need work. But, the jokes never seem to go wrong. I'm serious. You should have seen my reaction to some of the great lines in there; this film is really well written. But, I can never stress the need for improvement on the technical aspects of this film.

Spoiler (click to read)

And, as END Films mentioned, the Dane Cook bit was totally genius. I didn't see it coming.

Kudos once again for being able to pull together a 12-minute long film! And keep up the great work!

Last edited by Mickey (December 25, 2013 (10:14pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

You are quite possibly the greatest comedy brickfilmer on the planet, I haven't laughed so hard at a brickfilm since Taco  Trouble. I'm watching this in the morning when I'm tired and whatnot but I think I woke myself up from laughing so loudly.

Spoiler (click to read)

The 'FIN' title card made my ears bleed but at least it was hilarious.

The voice acting is also brilliant, for some reason almost every line that's said makes me laugh from the beautiful delivery of it. You're probably one of the best comedy actors on the site and I can't wait to hear more from you.

However I think the one thing you need to work on is your editing, specifically audio editing. There were a lot of situations where the film would have benefited greatly from some added sound effects. Also, as with your BRAWL film there were some instances of audio cutting out really weirdly.

Despite that one gripe, this is still amazing and has made you one of my favourite brickfilmers away. Please don't stop being amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

END films wrote:

I almost regret making an educational Christmas film instead of a comedy now.

Please don't, you taught me a new word. Now I can use it a lot and people will think I am smart. Yours was the second most useful holiday brickiflm ever made. Thank you.

Mickey wrote:

I think the Incompetech music kinda killed it.

Yes. Yes it did. I honestly have to turn to him because I know nobody else. I recently became super-weird about copyrighted stuff, so I won't use that. To be honest, I searched Incompetech for hours trying to find good music. 

Mickey wrote:

I can never stress the need for improvement on the technical aspects of this film.

I completely agree. My small light flicker problem has spiraled into a big one, this video had an unusual amount of camera bumps, and in the parts I shot at the last minute look really cheap. I hope to improve a lot more in my THAC entry.

Jstudios wrote:

there were some instances of audio cutting out really weirdly.

I have been waiting for somebody to call me out on this since the Deadly Mission. I Have this problem a lot for some reason. I edit each shot directly after I shooting it so I don't forget which "mistake" frame to delete. I sometimes shoot shots out of order and separate each shot by a 5 second black screen. When I string it all together and delete the black screens, I guess some of the audio goes with it. I am going to have re-think my strategy.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to write your critiques and complements.

PushOverProductions wrote:
END films wrote:

I almost regret making an educational Christmas film instead of a comedy now.

Please don't, you taught me a new word. Now I can use it a lot and people will think I am smart. Yours was the second most useful holiday brickiflm ever made. Thank you.

The key word was almost mini/smile  (I didn't know the word before myself)

Last edited by END films (December 26, 2013 (01:25pm))

HOLY FREAKIN WOW!!!!!! Dude, that was amazing!!! Like seriously one of my favorite brick films of all time. I was laughing my head off for awhile, as I was expecting. Dude, this is a masterpiece, and you should be very proud of it! Honestly, my only critique would be the sound cut offs that happened occasionally, but for me, it didn't take away from the fun at all! Great job! Can't wait for your next film! mini/wink

GHB wrote:

HOLY FREAKIN WOW!!!!!! Dude, that was amazing!!! Like seriously one of my favorite brick films of all time. I was laughing my head off for awhile, as I was expecting. Dude, this is a masterpiece, and you should be very proud of it! Honestly, my only critique would be the sound cut offs that happened occasionally, but for me, it didn't take away from the fun at all! Great job! Can't wait for your next film! mini/wink

Thank you very much! Yep, once again I acknowledge those audio issues. I am definitely going to be struggling with that during THAC.

GOOD GUMDROP!  THAT WAS WONDERFUL!

So many good jokes.  I loved the gingerbreadman's randomly dramatic scene.  It's really fantastic.  Keep doing what you are doing.

Squid wrote:

GOOD GUMDROP!  THAT WAS WONDERFUL!

So many good jokes.  I loved the gingerbreadman's randomly dramatic scene.  It's really fantastic.  Keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks! I guess I am on the right track then. The hard part Is making it different every time. I don't ever want to start re-using the same jokes.

I thought this film was good and funny, my only problem is that your films always have some weird part that is supposed to be funny but instead is depressing to me. I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if the stuff with the gingerbread man was less dramatic.

That was amazing. I really wish more people would make films like this. Thank you, my good man. Thank you.

Thank you.

Willco66 wrote:

My only problem is that your films always have some weird part that is supposed to be funny but instead is depressing to me. I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more if the stuff with the gingerbread man was less dramatic.

I can definitely see where you are coming from, everyone has a different taste in humor.

I think my humor leans a bit to the darker side because of all the horrifically dark yet funny "Monty Python" movies/skits my mom showed me when I was younger. The first brick films I ever watched were by the "Tomjoetwins". Their stuff was basically just random destruction for the sake of destruction. Things like this probably had a role to play in my sense of humor.

Of course, I don't want to go way overboard. I feel it is best in small doses and moderation, because eventually it just becomes coarse and disgusting. I also try and make it ridiculous as possible to avoid any similarities to real events or touchy subjects, I don't want to cross the line between "Dark" and "Offensive". 

So really, it just boils down to what kind of humor you like. I favor somewhat morbid stuff, so my project will usually have it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mighty wrote:

Thank you, my good man. Thank you.

No, thank you.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (December 26, 2013 (09:50pm))

You've won the internet, PushOver. Honestly, your films are the most hilarious brickfilms I've seen in a while. Well done, sir.

LASF wrote:

You've won the internet, PushOver

Bleh. Can I swap out my prize for cash?

I really love your sense of humor mini/lol You are one of the few YouTube channels that I have set to "email me about every upload."

fallentomato wrote:

I really love your sense of humor mini/lol You are one of the few YouTube channels that I have set to "email me about every upload."

This is so flattering. I am pretty much lost for words.

Hahaha, wow, this film is hilarious!  The Gingerbread Man scene was hilarious, with the dramatic music (which piece is it by the way?  It sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it).  The crazed children were particularly well animated there, I thought.  I didn't know Dane Cook jokes were still around....

Also, that line about Santa being a Communist leader in the Cold War was hilarious and completely random (we really need a sequel/prequel to find out how that happened...)

Great job, I can't wait to see more from you!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive