Re: The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings: A Discussion Thread

BUMP

Well, I'm nearing completion of the whole book. Finished the penultimate chapter, and I've got about ten pages left! However, I'm still debating on whether or not I should check out the appendices...

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

If your interesting in the back ground history of Middle-Earth, I definitely recommend the appendices. The stuff in there ranges from Dwarven history before the Hobbit, to Family trees of the Kings of Gondor to a copy of the Shire calendar, and the romance between Aragorn and Arwen. So I recommend skimming it to look for stuff that interests you.

I've already peeked at the appendices a little. And the timeline of events of the Fellowship of the Ring (Appendix C, I think). I think I'll check it out.

I actually just finished reading The Lord of the Rings this morning. It was great. So many great quotes in there, and I loved every minute reading it. I don't think I will read The Silmarillion, though. But, I might want to check out some of Tolkien's other short stories.

I tried reading the Silmarillion, but it's pretty dense. Imagine reading Genesis in the King James Version, and not knowing of any of the characters or events before hand.

Willco66 wrote:

I tried reading the Silmarillion, but it's pretty dense. Imagine reading Genesis in the King James Version, and not knowing of any of the characters or events before hand.

It would be a steep learning curve, and a fun challenge. But, to each his own; if you don't like it that's your opinion. But what about Shakespeare? I found that incredibly difficult, as well as Fahrenheit 451. But by the end, I felt that I had learned something. Every story has a moral/theme, so If you read through the Silmarillion; you might learn something your glad to know!

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I'm not saying the Silmarillion isn't good, it's just I wasn't able to read it through very quickly and had to put it aside because I had other books I need or want to read. Having read several Shakespeare plays and Fahrenheit 451 (although Shakespeare is pretty easy for me to read, Fahrenheit 451 not so much), I agree with you that there is value in works that are dense, it's just that they're harder to get through than books that are more "readable" (Other works I've found dense include Frankenstein, and both are good works of literature). I want to read the Silmarillion, it's just the book is dense and I have a habit of reading three books or so at a time, that leads to me dropping a book for several weeks until I can't get characters straight (The list of these books is very long, including 1984, Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Game of Thrones, and Winston Churchill's Second World War memoirs, all of which I need to finish at some point).

I just picked up some Jeff Hirsch books at my Book Fair last week. I'm probably gonna read those soon.

Today marks the 10th anniversary of The Return of the King in cinemas, way back in 2003. As a winner of 11 Academy Awards, I'm pretty sure it's very well-respected in the film community. I was kind of hoping they would put the film back in cinemas for a one-day only special screening. But, it didn't seem like they were really planning on doing so.

The Hobbit 2 comes out on the ten year anniversary of Return of the King.