Topic: The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings: A Discussion Thread

Here is the thread where members can talk about J.R.R. Tolkien's famous children's story (even though teens and adults enjoy the book a little more than kids, in my opinion), The Hobbit. Talk about your favorite characters, your favorite part, or anything. If you please, you can also talk about the book's three-volume sequel, The Lord of the Rings, or any other Tolkien story.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Re: The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings: A Discussion Thread

I've only seen the Fellowship of the Ring, and The Hobbit, but I must say, from seeing those two films, it's pretty obvious that The Lord of The Rings is the best "medieval" saga ever created. I really enjoy the scenery, as well as the epic battles with the orks. The acting is exceptional, and the story was very well written. But, despite all that, these weren't my favorite movies. I don't exactly enjoy knight/castle/medieval movies as much as sci-fi, or other adventure films. I still haven't, and won't lose my loyalty for Star Wars, which is by far my all time favorite series, but I won't go into that as this thread is for LOTR.

So there's my thoughts. This thread seems very important to the Forums as there has been much talk about the LOTR.

Well, no Hobbit thread would be complete without mentioning the brand-spanking new
The Desolation of Smaug - Teaser Trailer.  mini/twitch

I love all four of the films, and can't wait for the next two. I own all four major books, and even read the The Silmarillion...Once.

Thanks Mickey for posting this thread, and I'm sure I'll be in and out of here a lot. mini/wink

Yeah, that new teaser trailer is awesome. It's great that they're bringing in Legolas; but I can't help but ask why. He isn't in the book, but the people over at Weta aren't exactly making these movies accurate to the book. But, Legolas is a great character, with his bows and arrows and all.

Well An Unexpected Journey kinda sucked, hopefully this one will be better but it looks like it still has no idea that throwing in both stuff for kids and adults doesn't work

Mickey wrote:

...It's great that they're bringing in Legolas; but I can't help but ask why. He isn't in the book, but the people over at Weta aren't exactly making these movies accurate to the book...

I imagine his sole purpose is to pad out the story so the filmmakers can make a full trilogy out of a single relatively short book so they can extract more money from audiences.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mickey wrote:

...It's great that they're bringing in Legolas; but I can't help but ask why. He isn't in the book, but the people over at Weta aren't exactly making these movies accurate to the book...

Since this is an adaption of a book don't think that it will follow the book all that precisely. After all a book is written with the idea that a person will sit and read it over a while, just for leisure; whereas a movie is for the instant thrill and excitement, which makes it impossible to add all the details of a book.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I imagine his sole purpose is to pad out the story so the filmmakers can make a full trilogy out of a single relatively short book so they can extract more money from audiences.

And as for their adding of extra stuff, it is mostly drawn from other sources of Tolkien's literature, so I have no problem with it.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

In a nutshell.

I eagerly await the inevitable fan-edit which removes all references to Sauron, Rategast, that giant albino orc, Legolas, and his pointless love interest - and trims all the I-can-feel-myself-getting-older scenes into the single three hour film this trilogy SHOULD have been.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Yup, they're only doing it for the moneez.

OK well I read the Hobbit once but I don't quite remember it so I can't really say anythng for accuracy, but I don't like the way they're making the hobbit into this huge prequel save the universe dealy-o. Are they trying to be star wars or something? I'd actually prefer it if The Hobbit was a nice little adventure story, like the book is.

I think we talked about the "why LOTR came first" issue in another thread, Topit. Jackson was trying to get the rights to The Hobbit, but he couldn't. However, he could get the rights to LOTR. So, he adapted LOTR into a film first, and then, in 2010, he got the rights for The Hobbit. That's why they're making The Hobbit seem like it's a prequel to LOTR, and everything's out of order.

When I saw the trailer for Desolation of Smaug, I was really excited when I saw Gandalf fighting at Dol Gildur.

GHB Productions wrote:

I've only seen the Fellowship of the Ring, and The Hobbit, but I must say, from seeing those two films, it's pretty obvious that The Lord of The Rings is the best "medieval" saga ever created.

Lord of the Rings is more of a fully fledged fantasy with medieval elements, not a purely medieval series. Game of Thrones, on the otherhand, although it has fantasy elements, is more appropriate for the title of 'greatest medieval saga ever created'.

Lord of the Rings is considered the Star Wars of the middle ages because its high fantasy and high escapism. I really like LOTR - but I hate its influence on the fantasy genre.

Every single fantasy film/book/game since the books came out has been about immortal elves who use mainly bows and live in forests, headstrong dwarves who wear beards, live underground, are great craftsmen, and smash things a lot, racist humans, and ugly creatures who are evil because they are ugly (double standards much?). Its like how now every Sci-Fi film has to involve grey spaceships that shoot lasers, and apparently at some point in the future the galaxy is suddenly going to open up and we're going to find all the green aliens we've been spending over 60 years looking for (and the only thing we've discovered is that space is really boring).

Why doesn't fantasy try more Japanese folklore, or native American folklore? Or why don't writers research and find some really obscure folklore? Why always Europe? I know we're awesome, but everyone else has done it.

I suppose this is the mark of something incredibly successful - when everyone else is copying it...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

I really like LOTR - but I hate its influence on the fantasy genre.
[stuff]
Why doesn't fantasy try more Japanese folklore, or native American folklore? Or why don't writers research and find some really obscure folklore? Why always Europe? I know we're awesome, but everyone else has done it.

Yeah, I really wish this was a thing! Even if they go just a little bit in any direction they'll find something that hasn't been done before! I love Irish and Finnish mythology, which has more influence on fantasy than what you mentioned, but still not very much at all.
Or better yet, someone needs to just make something up. Or maybe this has been already done before and people were like, this ain't no fantasy I'm readin', this is absurdist/post-modernist/whatever you wanna call it (I'm thinkin of Italo Calvino right now... technically he is a science fiction author, but his ideas are so different than Star Wars that I'm having trouble calling him that)
So I guess it's that... Lord of the Rings kind of started the whole fantasy thing, and it's because of that series that fantasy is associated with eastern european folklore medieval settings?

You are definitely right Max, LOTR and Star wars set the standard for fantasy and Sci-Fi. Me and my friend have often talked about the effect of Tolkien's literature, and you said it, it changed that genre of fantasy. Now every medieval fantasy that comes out rips their portrayal of their races right out of LOTR.
I would really like to see some originality in this area of writing, I know it would be hard to get accepted if your elves weren't "immortal gods" and the like, or if your dwarves lived above ground and could shoot bows and climb trees (poor examples). But I think that if you took great care to form your story and style of writing, you could make it work.

Well, I finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring on Saturday morning, while driving home from the beach. Later on, I went and purchased The Two Towers. I'm finishing up Chapter 2: The Riders of Rohan. But, here's a funny thing about how the pages are numbered.

When I first opened up the book, I quickly flipped to the back and noticed it had over 700 pages! I thought to myself, "Boy, that's a read!", but I turned to the first page...it said "403". Why would the first page be the 403rd page? Well, Tolkien had specially numbered his books. The Fellowship of the Ring ended on the 398th page. Along with Tolkien's maps at the end of the book, it came out to about 402 pages exactly. So, the pages in The Two Towers pick up right after the pages in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Do you get what I'm saying? The second volume comes RIGHT AFTER the first volume, picking up on the 403rd page. It's strange, but you gotta love Tolkien's lovely style.

Max Butcher wrote:

Every single fantasy film/book/game since the books came out has been about immortal elves who use mainly bows and live in forests, headstrong dwarves who wear beards, live underground, are great craftsmen, and smash things a lot, racist humans, and ugly creatures who are evil because they are ugly (double standards much?).

You do have a very good point there.  The typical fantasy doesn't usually sway much from others.  When getting into a fantasy universe, you can usually just assume stuff about the cultures and you'll be right.
I myself am rather guilty of that in thinking up Riigo-Faloo, but at least my elves aren't immortal, I don't have humans, and the ugly goblins are famous as great heroes.  So it's not too bad, I guess.

And there are some more clever sci-fi stories, like Firefly.  It's rather interesting that there are no aliens at all in that.

But on the Hobbit, I thought it was the best book I ever read. It's a perfect adventure story.  I enjoyed the first movie, just not the HFR.  I'm actually finding the additional material rather interesting.

Mickey wrote:

Well, I finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring on Saturday morning, while driving home from the beach. Later on, I went and purchased The Two Towers. I'm finishing up Chapter 2: The Riders of Rohan. But, here's a funny thing about how the pages are numbered.

When I first opened up the book, I quickly flipped to the back and noticed it had over 700 pages! I thought to myself, "Boy, that's a read!", but I turned to the first page...it said "403". Why would the first page be the 403rd page? Well, Tolkien had specially numbered his books. The Fellowship of the Ring ended on the 398th page. Along with Tolkien's maps at the end of the book, it came out to about 402 pages exactly. So, the pages in The Two Towers pick up right after the pages in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Do you get what I'm saying? The second volume comes RIGHT AFTER the first volume, picking up on the 403rd page. It's strange, but you gotta love Tolkien's lovely style.

When Tolkien wrote the book, he meant it to be one single novel, dived into three volumes.

Ah, sort of like War and Peace - but with Hobbits...

YouTube
Max, She/They