Topic: Lego horse leg movement.

Dear Everyone,
      I'm working on a Lego Ranger movie, and when I animate the horse I don't want the horse to just slide, I want to make the horse's legs to move back and forth. If you know how to do this in Adobe After Effects please give me a detailed explanation or video. Thanks.

Re: Lego horse leg movement.

Forum member jay did a video with AE-animated horse legs awhile back, you should ask him about it.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Forum member jay did a video with AE-animated horse legs awhile back, you should ask him about it.

Thanks

What jay wrote to me just incase anyone else wants to know how to do this......

It's true that I did animate a LEGO horse's legs once using After Effects. The short story is that it isn't easy and that the method I used is extremely limited - it only works directly side-on and under basic lighting conditions.
What I did was to take a still of the horse and divide it up into overlapping layers - the neck & head, tail, saddle, torso, upper front leg, lower front leg, upper back leg, lower back leg and then duplicates of the legs for the far side of the horse. Then in After Effects I set all layers to pivot at the proper point and the parent/child relationships (lower leg is a child of upper leg which is a child of the torso, for example) to essentially build a 2D puppet in AE. That was in AE 6.5, the newer versions have a puppet tool that might work even better.
The real trick is getting these new moving parts to move without revealing that they are stills - highlights don't move and by default they don't cast shifting shadows as they move. I used a lot of drop shadows and masking to simulate these effects.

I did a video with a horse. I shot one pic with it on studs and one in-between studs.

Link to video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5z8lPoaFQ