Topic: Monochrome (Contrast Entry)

Directory Link

Monochrome (Contrast Entry)

YouTube

My entry to the Contrast Contest.  It's a bit rushed, and some of the animation quality could have been better, but overall, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  Constructive criticism and feedback is welcomed. mini/smile

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: Monochrome (Contrast Entry)

I really like it.
If feels really cool and artistic, and the music is very fitting.  I like the set design, particularly the office.

My main complaint would be that many of the movement are way to slow.  Try animating a bit faster, and save the tiny frame changes for the beginning and end of every movement.

+9 points for use of slants.

Wow.

I really like the feel this film gives off. The establishing shot kinda told me a lot about this world. The sets were great! The panning shots were wonderful! the music is perfect and sound editing was couldn't have been better. I loved the shot when he touches the wall and it lights up with color. The ending was fine, but I think it should have been a little more inspirational.

If you had more time, maybe you could have had longer and more...inspirational ending. Maybe the law enforcement officer beat the main character to death. Seeing this, the people who were inspired by him revolt. They grab the color brick and charge into the Law enforcement building giving color to everything they pass. It could end with a shot of color spreading through a micro scale version of the city.  But that's just a "What if".

Anyways, aside from set bumps and some light flicker, I thought this was perfect! mini/smile

Last edited by PushOverProductions (September 13, 2013 (01:21pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Good work! While the story was simple and a bit bleak, you told it well (helped in part by a good choice of music). Echoing Squid, it looks like your animation could use a bit of tightening, but the pacing managed to hold my attention despite this.

This was excellent.  The pacing and angles were brilliant!  The animation had some choppy spots, but the rest of it more than made up for it.  The music fit perfectly!

Visually I loved it; the combination of grey and color, the set design, and the cinematography all led to a really nice looking film. As stated before, the only real problem is the animation; I'm not sure if your just animating slowly or if it's frame rate (the choppiness makes me think frame rate), but it's just too slow. I don't mind the simple story, probably because I like simple stories and the visuals tell it really well. Overall good job, speed up your animation and I expect to see some really great stuff from you in the future. mini/smile

That was a

Spoiler (click to read)

sad ending! Still, very bold!

I liked it though. Nice job. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

This is pretty cool! Like Jargon said, it's a simple story. But, you executed it to make it seem more exciting. Again, there's the slow frame rate; what is yours?

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Sorry for the late comment.  I'm glad you all enjoyed it. mini/smile

I'm pleased to see that lots of people commented on the ending.  In fact I had originally planned a different ending, but had to cut almost 30 seconds of footage. 

Spoiler (click to read)

Originally, the protagonist met a girl who also had a coloured stud and who had also been beaten by the soldiers/thugs/policemen.  The idea was that although he had been temporarily defeated, the protagonist would realize there is still hope.

Unfortunately, when I edited the film I realized it wouldn't make any sense, and I didn't have time to animate a scene explaining this, so I ended up cutting the film early.  Still, I've always liked the idea of making a film with a non-happy ending, even though in this case it ended up happening by accident rather than by design.  I might one day though animate some scenes and make an "extended edition" with the original ending I had planned, but for now that doesn't seem too likely.

Regarding the animation, I now see that it is rather slow in places.  It was my first time shooting in 15 FPS, and all the tests I made seemed to be way too fast, so I suppose I overcompensated.  Still, I feel I've improved quite a bit since The Time Machine.

@Pushover:  I really like the suggestions you made.  Those are some pretty great ideas, and I would have loved to try them out. mini/smile  The idea of a microscale shot did briefly cross my mind, but it probably would take a very long time to animate and I didn't really have the time to do it.

@Squid: Hehe, yeah, I did think of you when I animated those shots with the tilted angles. mini/wink

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Brilliant! mini/bigsmile In a sense it made me think of Tim Burton, and that is a compliment when it comes from me. mini/smile It was dark, but so interesting and original! And I also like how you were able to communicate such a good story without any dialogue too. That was a great work of art! mini/wink

I thought you have not overcompensated - the chosen FPS rate worked for this - it made it look even more surreal. I expected the security guy will turn multi-color as well as soon as he touches the red brick. How come he did not? What music was that? Have you done your research on the multi-scale shots - how to do it right ? Do you have any recommendations?

Last edited by ThaukaFilms (September 11, 2013 (10:21pm))