Topic: Quick Short Advertising Contest - Hand Car

Directory Link

High quality YouTube version.

A great big thanks to Matt Walsh and Emma Graham who both did a fantastic job with the voice work and at short notice.

I built most of these sets just for the competition but it also features my technics railway bridge which I only recently finished.
There are some nice photo's of the bridge on the Bodville website in the MOCs section.

The Train Hand Car is a real product available (Sold Out) from Big Ben Bricks.

Last edited by bodville (March 13, 2009 (05:08am))

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Re: Quick Short Advertising Contest - Hand Car

Amazing sets, nice animation, nice woman design with breasts.

A sure winner.

I really can't find anything wrong with this.  The animation is pretty much flawless, and the sets were awesome.

I agree with rsteenoven, I would be surprised if this didn't take first prize.  Great job!

The announcers was a bit muffled, but the rest was top notch. A top contender.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Your voice has an uncanny resemblance to Blunty's.

_2014

You just gotta pump it! mini/lol
Great man! THE winner I suppose..

-GS mini/wink

I'm a bonehead.. But not in making movies! mini/wink

Great little short film.  mini/smile

- Leo

cool!!n you ar the winner sure! I liked the animation cool sets. AND THE GIRL WAS HAT!!

Just a noob.

Love the chick design. 1st for sure.

really cool! I like how the guy's head nods at the begging mini/yes

-Jon64

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4876920171_59c4d4ac70.jpg
More videos on my Youtube Channel or on my (now updated) Webstite

All of it was great! How'd you erm...the girl...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Good job! (Much better than mine.) The only thing that was disturbing was the... You know... going up and down... Great job though! Your animation reminds me of David P A G A N O...

Last edited by Just Kidden (March 15, 2009 (02:34pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I tried a few new ideas with this movie.

There were two scenes that involved a dolly track for the camera. The arrival of the hand car at the red station had a 2nd train track (running not quite parallel to the train line) with the camera on a purpose built carriage. This gave a nice smooth motion and the camera actually moves away from the station as well.

There was some photoshop (PS) work involved. The coin toss and the fig falling off the bridge, car brake lights and the nodding fig.  I wanted to make head movements more than just rotating left and right but I didn’t want to modify a torso by cutting off the pin. So I built a stand the same height as a mini-fig and used Blu-Tac to fix the head to the top I then recorded the head positions and PS it onto the background scene (which had the body and the petrol station)

The bikini model is 100% lego. She has two aerial bases (Hinge Control Stick Base Hinge Control Stick Base) held in position by a technics rubber band. After the frames were recorded she looked like a dominatrix so I PS in some extra material for her bikini top.

There were still plenty of mistakes.
Rule #1, never use the digital zoom on the web camera. The compression artifacts become very obvious. I had to smooth out some 50 frames in PS.

The bridge scene had to be edited because our cat, who had been asleep, decided to jump up onto the set knocking both the camera and the bridge. I couldn’t re-align them without a noticeable jump and I didn’t want to re-record all the frames already done. Rule #2, lock the cat in the laundry while filming.

CrimStories

You always have some amazing sets.

Very nicely done.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Perfect in nearly every way, but the animation seemed a bit rushed. Your set design and... er... woman design is flawless though.

Last edited by Spudster (March 11, 2009 (12:46am))

That was awesome. mini/XD

I love your animation style, bodville. Great work, even if it was a bit rushed. Didn't look it though in my opinion. mini/bigsmile

Spudster wrote:

.. but the animation seemed a bit rushed.

30 seconds is not a lot of time to fit 6 sets in. What can I say, it's a pumping brickvertisement.

CrimStories

True enough, but this was an excellent advertisement! mini/smile

I agree with the others when they say that the woman design was pretty good!  mini/wink

"Heal the world.  Make it a better place...." -Michael Jackson
"I like to stroke them." -Hazzat
http://bit.ly/jzKLdD ←YouTube!
-Jedi Master, DarthVincentPrice, who's retired...again... from the animation. Voicing's still a go!

The advertisement rhythm the tone works great.

bodville wrote:

never use the digital zoom on the web camera. The compression artifacts become very obvious. I had to smooth out some 50 frames in PS.

Not all YouTube HD is really HD. Much of this really looks higher-res. The sets the assets!

Advertising 101: Sex and death sells. I have seen ads a lot worse than this actually on TV.
The sets and animation were brilliant with only a minor set knock with the bridge scene.
Seems a bit tame compared to your usual wacky/crazy films. What was the point of the suicide on the bridge?
Shame Big Ben sold out I probably would have bought one if the girl came with it

Last edited by brick4brains (March 23, 2009 (05:37pm))