Topic: Angels Unawares

Directory Link

Angels Unawares

YouTube

Made for a local film festival.  I've noticed that some things are rushed, mostly due to a tight deadline.  But please oh please, give me some feedback mini/cat

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Re: Angels Unawares

The minifig decal was obviously coming off Sméagol's character. It didn't look too good to me. But it was fine.

That light effect at the beginning (the porchlight) was off. It stood out a little two much only because, in my opinion, it could have looked better. Maybe the outer part of the glow could have been edited to not look as bright as it does.

It made me chuckle that Jargon's name, in the opening credits, was the only one that wasn't capatalised. mini/tongue

The overall animation was pretty spot on. It was the focus that seemed weird, in my opinion. Especially around 2:45, where Brick7's character was really out of focus. And it seemed unnecessary to me that the focus would be like that.

At about 4:47 or so, the screen is shaking too much, in my opinion. It's seems kinda weird.

The overall voice acting in the film is good. You've got a good cast.

The lighting seemed a little dark. But, since they were nighttime scenes, I guess it would be okay. But, it was so dark, I could hardly see what was going on.

But, this film was, overall, good. And since you didn't have much time to make it, in time for the film festival and all, I applaud you, Harry, for doing the best you could. It is kind of hard to make such long films.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The minifig decal was obviously coming off Sméagol's character. It didn't look too good to me. But it was fine.

Ah!  Very true, that was just pure laziness on my part.

It made me chuckle that Jargon's name, in the opening credits, was the only one that wasn't capatalised. mini/tongue

Now that I look back I know why that happened, I spelled his name wrong and called him Aaron Bludger...  So with a few hours before school started I had to throw that in....  Good catch!  I never noticed it!

Especially around 2:45, where Brick7's character was really out of focus. And it seemed unnecessary to me that the focus would be like that.

I didn't think that would be a problem, but it's interesting that it bothered you, again my laziness made it so I didn't focus in and out the foreground character and the background characters...

At about 4:47 or so, the screen is shaking too much, in my opinion. It's seems kinda weird.

I look back on it and yes, you are right, for shaking a cage, that's one hell of man, starting an effing earthquake...

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK MICKEY!

Well, well, well....It lives up to my expectation.
I love the great rain effect, and the lighting (And lightening) there are great.

Other than the sticker issue already mentioned, there are a couple of other issues. The stick used to make the angel fly was not erased, and the talking animation at times could use a little work. At 1:45 there is a black rectangle that appears in the top right of the screen for about a half-second or so. And the inconsistencies in the angel's wings between 2:38 and 5:08 were quite apparent.

But those really aren't big issues at all, as it's a solid short that is put together very well.
I wish you the best of luck in the festival!

What do you mean by quite apparent?  Apparent means very clear and visible...  Other wise thanks for the feedback!

You did the lighting and the lightning really well during the storm scenes! Looked great! Congratz on completing the film. I remember when I made my first "longer" brickfilm (around 4 minutes), it's such a great feeling accomplishing it. One of the primary areas that I would suggest working on is the pacing and flow of stories, as well as the mood that is set. Towards the second half of the video, I wasn't quite feeling the proper emotions in regard to what was happening. Don't let that get you down though, just something to think about when you get ready to work on your next film! mini/smile Keep em coming!

Repelling Spider wrote:

You did the lighting and the lightning really well during the storm scenes! Looked great! Congratz on completing the film. I remember when I made my first "longer" brickfilm (around 4 minutes), it's such a great feeling accomplishing it. One of the primary areas that I would suggest working on is the pacing and flow of stories, as well as the mood that is set. Towards the second half of the video, I wasn't quite feeling the proper emotions in regard to what was happening. Don't let that get you down though, just something to think about when you get ready to work on your next film! mini/smile Keep em coming!

Thank you Spider!  That makes me feel even better coming from you! Definitely hope to get better at storytelling!

And the inconsistencies in the angel's wings between 2:38 and 5:08 were quite apparent.

Binding Brick wrote:

What do you mean by quite apparent?  Apparent means very clear and visible...  Other wise thanks for the feedback!

Quite-To the up most degree, completely, vary much so.
I was comparing the two shots of the wings, and it means that the differences were very clear and visible. At 3:38, the edges are defined, there's not extra white paper, and everything is, while a tiny bit blurry, very good. The lighting is even and bright, giving a cool almost glowing effect, but makes it appear to have been added in post. At 5:08, there's a lot of extra paper that wasn't trimmed off, the lighting is the same as the figure, and it's obviously in-shot.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Very nice work. The ending was especially poignant, albeit a tad rushed. So yeah, great job! mini/cat

Thanks for the re clarification!  The first time it wasn't actually paper, that was all composited, the second time at 5:08 yes that was a horrid paper cut out.

EDIT: Thanks Topit!

I liked it.  The rain effects and lightning were very well done, and the animation was smooth. 

However, I felt the flow of the story was sometimes a bit disjointed (for instance, the sequence with the doctor, priest, and baby was quite rushed and somewhat abrupt).  Also, I found the characterization of the Angel himself a bit odd.  Throughout the entire film, he doesn't say anything and mostly just sits around, and people treat him more like an object or pet rather than an angel.  I suppose that's the point of the film, but it seems a bit weird to me that he doesn't do anything besides flying away at the end.  Also, we know from the very beginning that he's an angel, which makes the title "Angel Unawares" somewhat misleading.

Still, this is a great film.  Good luck with the contest, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Thanks for the feedback!  The moral of the story was from a section of an old bible I found saying "what would happen if an angel came into our world?"  And how would people treat him?  But you are right, the baby sequence could of been more exaggerated.  Angels Unawares was used to say as if; even if we do know it's an angel how would be treat it on Earth and the people that came to see him didn't treat him like a messenger of God.

What do you think I could of done to improve those sequences?  Please tell me!  I'd love to know! mini/smile

It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. However, I think the pacing could have been done better. The whole film feels a bit rushed, mostly the second half of the film. The scenes could have used some additional dialogue (mostly the scene where the doctor and the priest visit the angel), and you could have added a scene or two before the ending. There were also some minor editing flaws, like cuts from one character's line to another, or overused sound effects. On the other hand, the cinematography was great. The whole beginning storm scene was quite spectacular, and the lighting in the whole film was very neat. I feel like I don't entirely have the "privilege" to say all this, since I have to practice pacing myself at the moment, and I haven't completed many films with a solid storyline like this, but I thought I could help anyway. mini/tongue

Good luck in the festival!

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Great film bud. Loved the story & the effects.
Look forward to your next film.

Thank you both!  I'm loving this advise!  I'm so thankful for a community where I can get better at this art!

Binding Brick wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!  The moral of the story was from a section of an old bible I found saying "what would happen if an angel came into our world?"  And how would people treat him?  But you are right, the baby sequence could of been more exaggerated.  Angels Unawares was used to say as if; even if we do know it's an angel how would be treat it on Earth and the people that came to see him didn't treat him like a messenger of God.

What do you think I could of done to improve those sequences?  Please tell me!  I'd love to know! mini/smile

Well, to give an example, the introduction of the baby seemed forced and was pretty much out of the blue.  I think it would have been much better to introduce it beforehand, or at least hint at its existence.  For instance, Aaron could have a conversation with his wife about how they're worried because their baby is sick, or we could see her holding it at the beginning of the film.  That way it would make for sense from the audience's perspective, and it would seem much more natural.

As an alternative story suggestion, I think it would have also been great if the guy found the old man on a stormy night, but nobody was aware that he was an angel.  But we (the viewers) are given hints that he is (like the wing shadows).  Aaron and his wife keep him in their home for a bit, then discover his healing powers when he holds their baby.  Then all the people come visiting and they try to exploit his healing powers.  At the end, they find out what he really is, and learn their lesson.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Thanks, that sounds like a great few ideas!  I would of done them if I had the time.. mini/sad