Topic: Sense of impact?

OK so recently I've wanted to make a fast paced hack-'n-slash film, and one of the things I wanted to do with this was give the sword hits real impact when they clash through another sword or something.
I wanted to create an effect that's used where the frame sort of 'stops' for a little bit and tried this by taking a double frame when the sword hit, but that didn't work. I was wondering if maybe I should take another frame in the middle of the movement where they only move a little bit or something, but I'd like some suggestions as to how I can really achieve a crunchy impact.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Re: Sense of impact?

This is probably like not helpful at all but I will just remind you of the importance of sound. Like if you watch a real duel with the sound off there will be a lot less impact. So it is important to get the perfect sound effect and use it well. As for the animation, I have no idea

Topit is right, and another thing to remember is to include interesting camera angles/movements. In-camera pans, shakes, turns and dollies really help sell the action, and turn an otherwise mediocre fight into something amazing.
I've done a number of fight scenes, and find that even tiny pans can make a clip look many times better.
To quote Fancypants:

Fancypants once wrote:

"...Camera movement is great because it makes your film more dynamic and cinematic..."

And may I add "that goes double with fight scenes."

I recommend watching a lot of good sword fights, both Lego and real, with the sound off, that way you can concentrate on the exact movements involved. Examining them frame-by-frame is also great way to learn more.
Don't forget to exaggerate the reaction. For example, if Ninja A swings his sword down and hits Ninja B's sword, then Ninja B's sword should drop with the impact, and then come back up a tiny bit as Nina B recovers from the impact and attempts to fight back. And don't forget easing, that's a major part of the fight, and can easily make or break a scene.

Use the whole body, not just the arms/hands. A blow will appear to have more force if the recipients whole body reacts. A big problem with most fight scenes is that people leave the body fairly stiff, and only use the arms.

The Force Unleashed is probably the most referred-to brickfilm sword fight, but there's a reason for that. It's a great example of what doing everything right looks like.

One last thing, everybody does fight scenes differently, so find your style and stick with that. It'll taek a lot of trail and error, but the final product can be spectacular.

Wow thanks guys, I'll take that into account.
I did a litttllle bit of practice today, if I do more I might upload a somewhat lengthy test or something.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028